d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > Other Games > Magic: The Gathering > New To Mtg, Need Some Help
12Next
Add Reply New Trade New Topic New Poll
Gold: 47,091.00
Jan 11 2023 05:12pm
Hey guys,

about to relive some mtg irl action :)
Since I own a copy of the old Akroma for years now I wanted to know how much it's worth.
Came across a dueling set that contains akroma, angel of wrath, the newer version, called Divine vs Demonic (Full set)
My question: Is this set worth the money? Costs about $70-$80, opened but everything is in NM condition
Also, what is this? I've never seen such a thing. Is that where you keep your cards, like an album? Haven't seen any of these online
Sorry for the newbie questions lmao, but i'm interested :)

This post was edited by brewzer on Jan 11 2023 06:09pm
Senior Moderator
Gold: 20,273.00
Trader: Mediator
Jan 12 2023 08:49am
Divine vs Demonic is a great product :D
Lots of useful stuff in there - but all depends on the format you want to play
I strictly play Commander anymore so pretty much everything is fair game to add to a deck :D
Jan 12 2023 09:12am
Quote (Udsuna @ 12 Jan 2023 15:49)
Divine vs Demonic is a great product :D
Lots of useful stuff in there - but all depends on the format you want to play
I strictly play Commander anymore so pretty much everything is fair game to add to a deck :D

Thanks for your reply :)
Is there any other dueling deck starter pack like divine vs demonic you would recommend? Maybe a commander one?

Looking to get some diversity in decks, easy to play for Beginners.

Format would be just casual with friends, so nowhere near serious for now.

I remember slivers from back then, i loved those buffing themselves up, etc. I prefer the old style frame of mtg cards waaaaaaaay more than the newer ones. Obviously alot of people do, since they're so sought after.

Also, I remember clerics aswell, i just cant remember if it was only clerics or a mix with others.
I had a buddy back then who i lost contact with and he had akroma, the angel of wrath, and me too. We always played at a near camping site in the summer, was great fun and nostalgic.

If you have any recommendations for dueling Decks, please let me know. Shouldnt be too expensive but around the same level of strength, if you know what I mean :)

Thanks alot!

This post was edited by brewzer on Jan 12 2023 09:14am
Senior Moderator
Jan 12 2023 09:18am
Commander is the ultimate casual format
Decks are general scaled 1-10
Most of the commander preconstructed decks that you can buy sit at around a 6-7 power level and are great for people to ease into the game
They are really easy to customize and tailor to how you like to play the game

I have around 12 decks built right now, range from super simple to some really complicated on convoluted ways to win xD
Really it just depends who i am playing against and how that group likes to play
I go to a local game store once a week and play, we have roughly 30 people there at a time so it's ease to find people of all skill gaps

Tribal decks are a ton of fun to build and play, they offer a ton of expression in how you see the game

If you like the older frames, the 2 newest commander decks offer some really cool retro treatments on newer cards
https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Brothers-Commander-Decks/dp/B0B8M5GJG5/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3PONLL9MSASP5&keywords=brothers+war+commander&qid=1673536669&sprefix=brothers+war+commander+%2Caps%2C111&sr=8-3
Jan 12 2023 09:26am
Quote (Udsuna @ 12 Jan 2023 16:18)
Commander is the ultimate casual format
Decks are general scaled 1-10
Most of the commander preconstructed decks that you can buy sit at around a 6-7 power level and are great for people to ease into the game
They are really easy to customize and tailor to how you like to play the game

I have around 12 decks built right now, range from super simple to some really complicated on convoluted ways to win xD
Really it just depends who i am playing against and how that group likes to play
I go to a local game store once a week and play, we have roughly 30 people there at a time so it's ease to find people of all skill gaps

Tribal decks are a ton of fun to build and play, they offer a ton of expression in how you see the game

If you like the older frames, the 2 newest commander decks offer some really cool retro treatments on newer cards
https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Brothers-Commander-Decks/dp/B0B8M5GJG5/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3PONLL9MSASP5&keywords=brothers+war+commander&qid=1673536669&sprefix=brothers+war+commander+%2Caps%2C111&sr=8-3

Ohhh, thank you for the insight.
I just found out that commander format requires at least 3 people, up to 5 right?

That's Not gonna happen at the moment, since i know very few people that play mtg. We have a local shop in town but without any knowledge i prefer not to play against these nerds :D (don't mean it in a bad way)

Initially i thought commanders are some kind of "race", such as slivers, planeswalker (I think is one) demons, angels, etc.

Senior Moderator
Jan 12 2023 09:35am
Commander can be played in a 1v1 format, most people call that Brawl
but typically its 4 players 1v1v1v1
100 card decks, singleton only so you can only use one copy of each card (except basic lands of course)
1 Commander for the deck, that would be a Legendary creature (or planeswalker if they have the ability to be a commander)
the whole deck is built around the commander itself, cards in the deck can only be whatever the commanders color identity is
as an example my main commander is Gisela, Blade of Goldnight - since she is Red/White, my deck can only contain cards that are those colors and only contain those color pips in the text box

If you want to stick with standard 60 card decks, then the Divine vs Demons duel decks are a ton of fun to play and are an easy stepping stone into more advanced decks
If you want something a little more up there in power level the preconstructed challenger decks offer a great way to play right off the bat and have a ton of options to pick from
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mtg+pioneer+challenger+decks+2022&crid=2DGK1T8CFUNEN&sprefix=mtg+pioneer%2Caps%2C104&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_11
these decks have a slightly higher power level and are easy to tweek directly to your liking
Jan 12 2023 09:38am
Quote (Udsuna @ 12 Jan 2023 16:35)
Commander can be played in a 1v1 format, most people call that Brawl
but typically its 4 players 1v1v1v1
100 card decks, singleton only so you can only use one copy of each card (except basic lands of course)
1 Commander for the deck, that would be a Legendary creature (or planeswalker if they have the ability to be a commander)
the whole deck is built around the commander itself, cards in the deck can only be whatever the commanders color identity is
as an example my main commander is Gisela, Blade of Goldnight - since she is Red/White, my deck can only contain cards that are those colors and only contain those color pips in the text box

If you want to stick with standard 60 card decks, then the Divine vs Demons duel decks are a ton of fun to play and are an easy stepping stone into more advanced decks
If you want something a little more up there in power level the preconstructed challenger decks offer a great way to play right off the bat and have a ton of options to pick from
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mtg+pioneer+challenger+decks+2022&crid=2DGK1T8CFUNEN&sprefix=mtg+pioneer%2Caps%2C104&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_11
these decks have a slightly higher power level and are easy to tweek directly to your liking

Awesome, thank you so much for the information, i learned alot!
Will definately check in those challenger decks and find a nice combination.

So far i like black and blue the most, or black and red.

Thanks again, really appreciate your time explaining things!
Senior Moderator
Jan 12 2023 09:40am
No problem at all :D

I've been playing since i was 7 xD
If you ever have any questions, you are more than welcome to pm me and i will help out any way i can :)
Jan 12 2023 09:44am
Quote (Udsuna @ 12 Jan 2023 16:40)
No problem at all :D

I've been playing since i was 7 xD
If you ever have any questions, you are more than welcome to pm me and i will help out any way i can :)

Oh you shouldnt have said that :D
Will bombard you with questions now :D nah jk, but thank you so much again, really helped me out.

The only reason i found out about divine vs demonic dueling decks was because i bought 2 mystery boosters and got "demonic tutor"
I liked that card so much, so i had to check which edition it was

Soon i'll have 2! :D
Senior Moderator
Jan 12 2023 09:46am
Quote (brewzer @ Jan 12 2023 10:44am)
Oh you shouldnt have said that :D
Will bombard you with questions now :D nah jk, but thank you so much again, really helped me out.

The only reason i found out about divine vs demonic dueling decks was because i bought 2 mystery boosters and got "demonic tutor"
I liked that card so much, so i had to check which edition it was

Soon i'll have 2! :D

Sick pull, that is one of the most expensive cards from the decks :D
Go Back To Magic: The Gathering Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Trade New Topic New Poll