d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness >
Poll > Fish Oil
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 550.00
Dec 27 2022 03:52pm
What are your thoughts on fish oil supplements? Are they needed/beneficial? I've never really tried the liquid form before, just softgels. Brands I've used are Nordic Naturals, Viva Naturals, GNC, and Webber.
One of my gripes with them is if they're rancid or not, or if they have any added benefits if you get "some" fish in your diet. Some as in few times a week.
Gold: 0.00
Trader: Trusted
Dec 30 2022 04:30pm
Do it for 3 months and see if you see benefits
If not then stop it

I’d use krill oil tablets - I’d rather take the 1 daily
Dec 30 2022 04:36pm
Quote (bjones9 @ Dec 30 2022 05:30pm)
Do it for 3 months and see if you see benefits
If not then stop it

I’d use krill oil tablets - I’d rather take the 1 daily

How come krill oil? Also I've taken fish oil daily for over a year, but I really don't notice anything? I've been off it for a couple weeks now and don't feel any different.
Gold: 0.00
Trader: Trusted
Dec 30 2022 07:36pm
Quote (Rezzakin @ Dec 31 2022 09:36am)
How come krill oil? Also I've taken fish oil daily for over a year, but I really don't notice anything? I've been off it for a couple weeks now and don't feel any different.

Pretty sure it’s higher dosage

I haven’t taken either in a long time. Doesn’t seem to do anything but who knows 🤷🏽‍♂️
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Dec 30 2022 11:49pm
Gives you some nasty burps.
Dec 31 2022 03:20am
Quote (SBD @ Dec 31 2022 12:49am)
Gives you some nasty burps.

I didn't have a problem with that. Not with the brands I went with at least tbh.

Quote (bjones9 @ Dec 30 2022 08:36pm)
Pretty sure it’s higher dosage

I haven’t taken either in a long time. Doesn’t seem to do anything but who knows 🤷🏽‍♂️

I did read somewhere krill oil is better absorbed, but their dosages of epa/dha is pretty low. So idk how that works, if you'd need to take so many pills
Gold: 1,803.00
Dec 31 2022 06:21pm
I’ve taken it at some higher dosages 1g+ combined epa/dha of fish oil daily, and it does give a nice anti inflammatory effect judging by how my joints feel while on it. You want to look at the total omega 3s or combined epa/dha per pill if they list it, assuming you’re okay with bigger pills. Freeze the fish oil pills to avoid fish burps.

However new evidence has come out that it does not affect the rate of cardiovascular events, so it isn’t as good as it was once cracked up to be. Good for reducing triglycerides and may slightly increase hdl, may decrease blood pressure, and slightly decrease inflammation, possibly helping mood and depression. Guess it’s up to you to decide on if it’s worth it.
Dec 31 2022 07:04pm
Quote (tommyd323 @ Dec 31 2022 07:21pm)
I’ve taken it at some higher dosages 1g+ combined epa/dha of fish oil daily, and it does give a nice anti inflammatory effect judging by how my joints feel while on it. You want to look at the total omega 3s or combined epa/dha per pill if they list it, assuming you’re okay with bigger pills. Freeze the fish oil pills to avoid fish burps.

However new evidence has come out that it does not affect the rate of cardiovascular events, so it isn’t as good as it was once cracked up to be. Good for reducing triglycerides and may slightly increase hdl, may decrease blood pressure, and slightly decrease inflammation, possibly helping mood and depression. Guess it’s up to you to decide on if it’s worth it.

The ones I usually take are around 1gram combined epa/dha, and the pill is decently sized. Not too big though.
The thing I have with them is quite a few studies say most fish oil supplements are rancid and can be more harmful than good. I don't mind buying them tbh, they aren't too expensive at one a day. Just don't want to be doing harm XD

The most recent brand I purchased, which is supposed to be a good brand, has a slight fishy smell inside the bottle that others didn't have as much of. So that worried me. I cut open one of the pills to smell and taste the oil, and it was fine. So I'm not sure why the bottle is a bit fishy.
Gold: 1,803.00
Dec 31 2022 09:11pm
Quote (Rezzakin @ Dec 31 2022 07:04pm)
The ones I usually take are around 1gram combined epa/dha, and the pill is decently sized. Not too big though.
The thing I have with them is quite a few studies say most fish oil supplements are rancid and can be more harmful than good. I don't mind buying them tbh, they aren't too expensive at one a day. Just don't want to be doing harm XD

The most recent brand I purchased, which is supposed to be a good brand, has a slight fishy smell inside the bottle that others didn't have as much of. So that worried me. I cut open one of the pills to smell and taste the oil, and it was fine. So I'm not sure why the bottle is a bit fishy.

I think the rancid thing you’re referring to is that they may contain “harmful” lipid peroxides but it’s not for certain that that is actually detrimental to health. Unlikely that you’re doing any harm imo.
Jan 1 2023 02:37am
Quote (tommyd323 @ Dec 31 2022 10:11pm)
I think the rancid thing you’re referring to is that they may contain “harmful” lipid peroxides but it’s not for certain that that is actually detrimental to health. Unlikely that you’re doing any harm imo.

Ah okay it could be, I'm not really sure. Tbh for now I'll probably continue taking it. As long as the fish burps aren't bad with this new version (I don't really want to freeze them either). I was on nordic naturals before which has a lemon flavor, but this new brand has better ratios of epa/dha in each pill.

Btw do you know why inside the bottle it would have that smell of fish? I thought since they're in softgels there would be no odor? And also when you cut them open they don't really smell like anything either, so idk why the bottle would be a bit fishy.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll