d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Weird Networking Issue
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,804.02
Dec 21 2022 10:18pm
PC plugged into router has issues streaming content, youtube, apple music, etc... there are zero latency issues when playing any game or loading into any game.

however speed tests show everything is fine and download/upload speeds are fine.

all connections are wired via cat6

alsoooo when i bypass the router and plug directly into the modem everything works as intended.

any thoughts on what i might be able to do?

i have replaced my router already and the issue persists making me believe its with my pc

This post was edited by devonhu on Dec 21 2022 10:20pm
Gold: 2,971.74
Trader: Mediator
Dec 22 2022 08:11am
is your modem bridged?
Dec 23 2022 04:42pm
Quote (Candyzcanes @ Dec 22 2022 09:11am)
is your modem bridged?

i dont believe so but i can check. if it were bridged what would i need to do to change it?
Dec 23 2022 04:49pm
Quote (devonhu @ Dec 23 2022 03:42pm)
i dont believe so but i can check. if it were bridged what would i need to do to change it?

you want it to be bridged. if you don't bridge your modem it can cause ip conflicts and speed issues
Dec 24 2022 12:20pm
Quote (Candyzcanes @ Dec 23 2022 05:49pm)
you want it to be bridged. if you don't bridge your modem it can cause ip conflicts and speed issues

so im into all the settings and there isnt an option for it to be bridged. the way my pc views it theres only one connection and doesnt view the router and modem at the same time but i think thats how its supposed to be?
Dec 24 2022 04:43pm
Quote (devonhu @ Dec 24 2022 11:20am)
so im into all the settings and there isnt an option for it to be bridged. the way my pc views it theres only one connection and doesnt view the router and modem at the same time but i think thats how its supposed to be?

if there's no option then it probably isn't possible. you can bridge it when your modem also acts as a router from factory (many companies call these smart modems)

i'd see if your motherboard has an updated LAN driver available. maybe your router has update-able firmware as well, might be worth trying.

you may want to look at your settings to make sure there is no packet inspection or any setting restricting data flow on your router. traffic rules etc.

you can also try disabling ipv6 on your computer. (go to network adapters, properties of your connection, uncheck IPV6, and restart)

id also say make sure your router is rated for the speeds your getting from your ISP in whatever port you're connected to

This post was edited by Candyzcanes on Dec 24 2022 04:43pm
Dec 25 2022 02:59pm
Quote (Candyzcanes @ Dec 24 2022 05:43pm)
if there's no option then it probably isn't possible. you can bridge it when your modem also acts as a router from factory (many companies call these smart modems)

i'd see if your motherboard has an updated LAN driver available. maybe your router has update-able firmware as well, might be worth trying.

you may want to look at your settings to make sure there is no packet inspection or any setting restricting data flow on your router. traffic rules etc.

you can also try disabling ipv6 on your computer. (go to network adapters, properties of your connection, uncheck IPV6, and restart)

id also say make sure your router is rated for the speeds your getting from your ISP in whatever port you're connected to

Yea its two separate devices. my ISP is verizon fios so the equipment they give for the service is rated correcty ( i also double checked this ).

Checked for a bios update and there wasnt one available. Sorry in so scatter brained on this but its driving me absolutely insane.

Just did a fresh install of windows 10 as well and the issue remains.

My biggest confusion is this - when i bypass the router everything works perfectly. Im so confused by this because now I don’t know where the problem actually is. My troubleshooting says its with the router or some setting interaction between my mb and router but im hesitant to think its on my pc end. I have also never had this issue before with the exact same service.

I had the router replaced recently and the same issues persists. I have also noticed that at slower speeds everything works fine. Loading, downloading, streaming all go without any issues or slowdowns when the speeds are reduced to 100mbs.

Full PC Specs:

Motherboard: Aorus Elite x570
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
CPU: AMD 5800x
RAM: 32gb DDR4 corsair vengeance
Operating System: Windows 10
ISP: Verizon Fios 1GB (modem & router are separate devices)
- Router G3100
- Modem idk tbh they look like theyre pretty standard ones for fiber
Dec 25 2022 03:28pm
Quote (devonhu @ Dec 25 2022 01:59pm)
Yea its two separate devices. my ISP is verizon fios so the equipment they give for the service is rated correcty ( i also double checked this ).

Checked for a bios update and there wasnt one available. Sorry in so scatter brained on this but its driving me absolutely insane.

Just did a fresh install of windows 10 as well and the issue remains.

My biggest confusion is this - when i bypass the router everything works perfectly. Im so confused by this because now I don’t know where the problem actually is. My troubleshooting says its with the router or some setting interaction between my mb and router but im hesitant to think its on my pc end. I have also never had this issue before with the exact same service.

I had the router replaced recently and the same issues persists. I have also noticed that at slower speeds everything works fine. Loading, downloading, streaming all go without any issues or slowdowns when the speeds are reduced to 100mbs.

Full PC Specs:

Motherboard: Aorus Elite x570
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
CPU: AMD 5800x
RAM: 32gb DDR4 corsair vengeance
Operating System: Windows 10
ISP: Verizon Fios 1GB (modem & router are separate devices)
- Router G3100
- Modem idk tbh they look like theyre pretty standard ones for fiber

have you tried another device on the router cable and see if they get proper speeds? that would narrow it down quickly.

try downloading and running this LAN driver for your motherboard: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_61_intel_26.2.zip?v=5b58acc44a7c8a843a2723733da82211
(full path to installers is here if you are wondering) https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-lan

try this as well:
- right click your internet connection on windows bottom right, go to open network and internet settings.
- change adapter options
- right click and go properties on your active connection
- uncheck ipv6 and apply like pic below.

- go into ipv4 settings and apply these settings as below

- disable other ports not in use on the 'network connections'.

that is a decent starting point for what we're trying to figure out here lmk results

if you can find an online manual for your router please pm me the link

This post was edited by Candyzcanes on Dec 25 2022 03:29pm
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll