d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Investment & Finance > Thoughts On How To Proceed?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 500.00
Dec 15 2022 08:00pm
I was playing with options on AMD and AAPL in 2022 and while initially lucrative I'm now holding a large amount of AMD shares with an average cost of $119/share

While I believe in AMD for the long term I do believe 2023 is going to be bad for the stock market as a whole so I'm considering selling at a loss that I can use to avoid paying taxes on my options trading profits.

I then to plan to buy AMD and maybe some other stocks again after the market dips in 2023 but most of the financial advice I read discourages attempting to time highs/lows in the market. I'm keen on doing it anyway.

Thoughts? How would you proceed in my shoes.
Gold: 63.45
Warn: 30%
Dec 16 2022 05:17am
At this point there is nothing to do but get a brain upgrade m8, lmao amd at 119 avg that's brillant
maybe your 6th booster could solve it too
Retired Moderator
Gold: 37,910.00
Trader: Trusted
Dec 16 2022 01:34pm
Imo nobody is going to be able to time the bottom or top of the markets.

If you sell you need to wait a month before buying back in or you will get hit with wash sale rule. I would probably try to trade myself out of the position, meaning buy shares say in the 60s, when there is a rally sell those shares for profit, re buy the dip again and repeat.

There are some stocks i have (amd is one) that at this point it seems silly to eat the loss at these prices but also prepare yourself for it to get worse before it gets better
Gold: 32,161.71
Dec 16 2022 03:52pm
ignore trolls with a net worth less than half (liberal estimate) of you like one of the posts above.

Amd will come good. You just have to be willing to eat more downside. You can try and time, but safer thing to do is to buy on major dips. Amd has major supports coming up

Be greedy with your prices and entries. Just don’t pussy/greed out if the price you want comes. Have a plan of what you want and set your buys at X prices. Then you don’t have to watch constantly and stress. You will also trade with less emotion that way

Also just do the basics like maxing 401k, Roth IRA , hsa , etc. if these are maxed every year in index funds, then you will have your millions come retirement time. Even if you fuck up everything in your in individual brokerage you will be fine by just doing this

This post was edited by Bazi on Dec 16 2022 04:23pm
Dec 17 2022 02:48am
At least the troll was able to see that giant head n shoulders on tsla lmao

Bazi 2022 strategy :

Dec 17 2022 08:16pm
Quote (Melatonina @ Dec 17 2022 02:48am)
At least the troll was able to see that giant head n shoulders on tsla lmao

Bazi 2022 strategy :

https://i.imgur.com/FHOd51L.jpg

Are you this low self esteem that you have to lie to yourself? My track record has been public record and I’m up nearly 20% on the year in my brokerage. I am not talking about the $300 gains that make you hard.

Bought heavily June

Sold heavily august

Bought heavily the hour of the bottom (spy 350)
(The same day you were mocking others for buying)

Sold incrementally 400 to 410

Been heavy cash for weeks. Entire thought process and major plays are in the main thread

BUT I’m honored to have you as a stalker. I just wish I had a stalker worth more than minimum wage who wasn’t an incel :hug:

This post was edited by Bazi on Dec 17 2022 09:05pm
Dec 18 2022 02:29am
Not only I made more than you in 2022 but I also managed to keep my blood pure and my health intact.
Honestly I think I just like to trigger you by stating factual facts.
This said, I don't believe I'm a better trader than you. I'm just using higher risk solutions combined with a way more volatile market, even in bear market.
Dec 18 2022 09:28am
Quote (Melatonina @ Dec 18 2022 02:29am)
Not only I made more than you in 2022 but I also managed to keep my blood pure and my health intact.
Honestly I think I just like to trigger you by stating factual facts.
This said, I don't believe I'm a better trader than you. I'm just using higher risk solutions combined with a way more volatile market, even in bear market.

A fact by definition is factual

But you prefer insults and lies. It’s your lack of reflection that triggers me not the insults though. Some part of me just wants you to do better. To break through to the troll but I am probably wasting my time
Gold: 13,940.40
Dec 18 2022 01:41pm
how much in other cap gains do you have for 22 and which bracket - theoretically you can math it out

like for example
if you're in the 20% cap gains rate
and you have $10k of net realized cap gains
that's a $2k tax bill
would you prefer to keep that $2k in the market and kick the tax bill down the road? ...obviously
but is apple & amd going to outperform the overall index in 23? ...i'm guessing you think so and that's why you bought?
will they outperform the index more than the tax bill?

without knowing much more about your situation, just at a high level, you can just tax loss harvest both and buy qqq to get the same exposure and mitigate single security risk at the same time?

my personal sentiment: we saw fixed income generally up about 2% in the past 3 months, while the q's are down about 5%
year end is massive portfolio rebalance, we're going to see 60/40s need to buy up more equity exposure before they publish holdings, the two equities you have are widely held blue chips that are also unusually beaten up relative equities so will likely outperform the asset class in general over the next 2 weeks.

also on your timing comment - typically you "hedge" mis-timing by just dollar cost averaging in/out of positions - as in, don't buy/sell full positions at once unless you are reacting to some big news event, i personally like approaching market with macro-econ approach so i usually make decisions quarterly and will do 1/6th of my total buy/sell every 2 weeks kind of thing, that way i am fully in/out at the end of the quarter but didn't have to pick a special day to do it all
Dec 19 2022 09:18am
Additionally don’t forget you can carry these tax losses forward indefinitely. U can write off $1500 a year max 5 years but still if you have you have more it can be used to cancel future profits. 2018 was a shit year for me and the first time I became involved actively in the market. Made a shit ton of rookie mistakes, I was using those losses against my gains til 2020

Go Back To Investment & Finance Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll