d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Culinary Arts > Cooking Protips
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 397.00
Warn: 60%
Apr 9 2023 09:01pm
- Use a cast iron pot for quickly boiling water, it absorbs heat much better than steel or aluminium alloys.

- Make it a habit to buy in ingredients for, and cook 3-4 times the amount you need, room temper, then portion it into glass/plastic storage boxes and freeze it. This way, it becomes so much easier to eat home cooked food instead of ordering fast food or eating snacks or low quality food. Take out a box, flush it on the outside with warm water until it loosens from the box, fill a little bit of water in cooking pan, add the frozen food to it, reheat on low heat for 30 minutes, while stirring occasionally, until hot. Or leave it out on counter/fridge if you can plan that well ahead. In time, you have like constantly 4-5-6 different dishes in your freezer, it makes it easier to eat diverse high quality food.

- Make an effort to not buy anything you really have no plan for using. It increases the risk that it gets forgotten in the freezer or fridge and goes bad, thus money wasted. Try to have at least some form of plan with whatever you buy, even if it is a good offer. Nothing is as expensive as throwing food away.

- There is usually no need for lots of equipment. You can do most things with a good chef knife, ladle, and a whisk. Unless cooking for a big family though.

- Buy silicone spatulas for non-stick pans. Or they (pans) get destroyed in few months and release dangerous chemicals. I sweared to using cast iron pans for long over a decade, but after going over to high quality non-stick pans with silicone spatulas, it works much better for me. Cast iron can work well, but requires more maintenance. It is better for certain things though, as mentioned in the first post.

- Baking cakes or confectionary and portioning them is a great way to make eating snacks healthier, and more wholesome. It is definitely more healthy to eat one small piece of cake or confectionary, instead of processed chocolate bars which are most added vast amounts of sugar, and then manipulated by sweetening balancing products to become edible, which gives a huge shock to the system. When you make this yourself, you have better control over the amount of sugar and fat, which most often you can cut down on without significant loss in flavor. Adding crushed nuts and dried fruit (if you like that) is a great way to give texture, increase flavor and nutrient value.

- Jasmine rice recipe (i've always done this with any type of rice with great success): Boil excess amount of water relative to amount of rice. Cook until soft, taste. Rinse in sieve. Fill pot with warm water, flush rice with it. If cooking a lot of rice, flush twice, to get rid of all the starch. Shake sieve to get out excess water. Add back to pot. This should be fluffy and nice to use for 10-15 minutes. After this, it should be either stored or mixed into the other food to prevent drying out, and then fridged/frozen to prevent going bad. Peas go well with rice, add frozen peas last 10 minutes, boil for 5-8 minutes.

- Brussels sprouts is my favorite vegetable. Easy to cook and taste good even on it's own, usually not expensive, and very healthy.

This post was edited by Taurean on Apr 9 2023 09:06pm
Gold: 16,697.00
Apr 9 2023 09:32pm
Quote (Taurean @ 9 Apr 2023 23:01)
- Use a cast iron pot for quickly boiling water, it absorbs heat much better than steel or aluminium alloys.

- Make it a habit to buy in ingredients for, and cook 3-4 times the amount you need, room temper, then portion it into glass/plastic storage boxes and freeze it. This way, it becomes so much easier to eat home cooked food instead of ordering fast food or eating snacks or low quality food. Take out a box, flush it on the outside with warm water until it loosens from the box, fill a little bit of water in cooking pan, add the frozen food to it, reheat on low heat for 30 minutes, while stirring occasionally, until hot. Or leave it out on counter/fridge if you can plan that well ahead. In time, you have like constantly 4-5-6 different dishes in your freezer, it makes it easier to eat diverse high quality food.

- Make an effort to not buy anything you really have no plan for using. It increases the risk that it gets forgotten in the freezer or fridge and goes bad, thus money wasted. Try to have at least some form of plan with whatever you buy, even if it is a good offer. Nothing is as expensive as throwing food away.

- There is usually no need for lots of equipment. You can do most things with a good chef knife, ladle, and a whisk. Unless cooking for a big family though.

- Buy silicone spatulas for non-stick pans. Or they (pans) get destroyed in few months and release dangerous chemicals. I sweared to using cast iron pans for long over a decade, but after going over to high quality non-stick pans with silicone spatulas, it works much better for me. Cast iron can work well, but requires more maintenance. It is better for certain things though, as mentioned in the first post.

- Baking cakes or confectionary and portioning them is a great way to make eating snacks healthier, and more wholesome. It is definitely more healthy to eat one small piece of cake or confectionary, instead of processed chocolate bars which are most added vast amounts of sugar, and then manipulated by sweetening balancing products to become edible, which gives a huge shock to the system. When you make this yourself, you have better control over the amount of sugar and fat, which most often you can cut down on without significant loss in flavor. Adding crushed nuts and dried fruit (if you like that) is a great way to give texture, increase flavor and nutrient value.

- Jasmine rice recipe (i've always done this with any type of rice with great success): Boil excess amount of water relative to amount of rice. Cook until soft, taste. Rinse in sieve. Fill pot with warm water, flush rice with it. If cooking a lot of rice, flush twice, to get rid of all the starch. Shake sieve to get out excess water. Add back to pot. This should be fluffy and nice to use for 10-15 minutes. After this, it should be either stored or mixed into the other food to prevent drying out, and then fridged/frozen to prevent going bad. Peas go well with rice, add frozen peas last 10 minutes, boil for 5-8 minutes.

- Brussels sprouts is my favorite vegetable. Easy to cook and taste good even on it's own, usually not expensive, and very healthy.

May 5 2023 06:55pm
- I was hesitant for using a wokpan on ceramic stovetop for a long time, because i was uncertain if it took heat well enough. But about a year ago, there was an offer on what seemed like a high-quality one .. 70% off.. so i couldn't resist trying. The biggest of these two:

https://www.cg.no/christiania-1739-wokpanne-20cm-aluminium-sort
This one: https://www.cg.no/christiania-1739-plus-wokpanne-28cm-sort

It works extremely well.

- Heats up almost as fast as a normal pan.
- Protects better for hot spill from frying.
- Makes it easier to toss whatever you're frying, saving time from using spatula to stir unless that is necessary.
- Since there is a large amount of room in it, you can cook entire meals in one pan unless something needs boiling. Start with the meat until coloured, add onions+garlic/vegetables, then sauce, lastly add the starch, then slowcook until finished. Of course season all the way through.

If i had known this, i would not have bought so many different pans as i had throughout the years. This is experience that comes with time.
Gold: 16,767.19
May 6 2023 05:43am
Quote (Taurean @ Apr 9 2023 10:01pm)

Wow, these are some pretty amazing tips! Thanks man.
Gold: 1,453.85
May 13 2023 09:32pm
Quote (Taurean @ Apr 9 2023 08:01pm)

This is how an adult should behave in a kitchen.
Gold: 16,697.00
Jun 29 2023 04:13pm
bump
Gold: 28,273.00
Jul 2 2023 08:42pm
Quote (Crunkt @ Jun 29 2023 03:13pm)
bump

I didn't know you had these skills mate. We need to talk about cooking time to time now.
Gold: 69.69
Warn: 30%
Jul 3 2023 09:08am
Cook with olive oil. On medium to medium high.
If you spend more than 30 mins in kitchen cooking for yourself you either a chef, woman or no lifer. The food can cook on its own for 1hr with you occasionally stirring, but if you spend so much time in kitchen then you are doing it wrong. I spend about 5-15mins per meal actually cooking most of it is watching my steak from being burnt.

This post was edited by addone on Jul 3 2023 09:15am
Aug 10 2023 04:19pm
Quote (addone @ 3 Jul 2023 17:08)
Cook with olive oil. On medium to medium high.
If you spend more than 30 mins in kitchen cooking for yourself you either a chef, woman or no lifer. The food can cook on its own for 1hr with you occasionally stirring, but if you spend so much time in kitchen then you are doing it wrong. I spend about 5-15mins per meal actually cooking most of it is watching my steak from being burnt.

Eh hmm .. isn't that rather .. irrelevant? Some dishes take longer, for some, the journey is as important as the food .. some wants more advanced food and it requires more work and preparation.
Gold: 69.69
Warn: 30%
Aug 10 2023 07:26pm
Quote (Taurean @ Aug 11 2023 10:19am)
Eh hmm .. isn't that rather .. irrelevant? Some dishes take longer, for some, the journey is as important as the food .. some wants more advanced food and it requires more work and preparation.

Then you must be a woman or a professional chef. Or you have far too much time and you decide to fill up your day by wasting it in the kitchen.
Go Back To Culinary Arts Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll