d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Need Help With Information About Cerebral Palsy
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.69
Warn: 60%
Oct 27 2022 09:38pm
I would like to specialize in a brain disorder called Cerebral Palsy. I want to find a cure. I want to devote my life to something greater than myself. I want to be a better person by making other people life's happy that are struggling because of something they can't control. I don't think I can sit idly by while medicine advances without me. I want to do my part and educate myself no matter how hard the work is going to be I am getting strength from those people who cant stand for themselves. I want to only give myself a break after I find a cure for this disorder. I want to cure Cerebral Palsy so people can stand.

Need some advice on where to start. Is there a good online college for those studying medicine? Should I go to a community college first then transfer to a university?

Also if anyone knows anything about Cerebral Palsy please let me know in thread or PM, like if there is any treatment available for the disorder and also I would like information about STEM CELLS if you guys can talk to me about that and give me some resources through links I would appreciate it because I saw stem cell research having some success with getting people with this disorder to walk and reverse the damaging effects. Is this something that is legal in the United States? I dont know anything about stem cells, but is this treatment available in the United States?

Someone close to me has Cerebral Palsy and I want to help cure him with medicine.
Gold: 550.00
Oct 28 2022 12:18am
Tbh it's more likely that we'll be preventing future cases of cerebral palsy rather than curing current cases
Oct 28 2022 01:46am
Quote (Sioux @ Oct 27 2022 11:18pm)
Tbh it's more likely that we'll be preventing future cases of cerebral palsy rather than curing current cases

Im hoping for advances in stem cell technology. I saw on YouTube that there is people that started walking after getting stem cell treatment.

One case a boy named Aleksander who started the treatment in Thailand went from severe cerebral palsy plagued with seizures to after two stem cell transplants being able to having no more seizures, improvement in muscle tone, improved motor skills, improved social skills, and improved emotional wellbeing.

There is no long term studies though, since it's fairly new treatment. Is this something that I should look into for my family member?
Oct 28 2022 02:15am
I have some concerns about stem cell therapy, I heard it can work miracles, but not to believe all the hype due to limited research and long term effects, and there is warnings from the FDA that there have been adverse reactions like the growth of tumors, cells not regenerating as expected, and the ability of the cells to move to inappropriate locations and multiply.

Is stem cell therapy even an option in the United States and what research has been done and where are these places located are some information I need
Oct 28 2022 02:29am
This study is from 2019

BACKGROUND
Perinatal complications may result in life-long morbidities, among which cerebral palsy (CP) is the most severe motor disability. Once developed, CP is a non-progressive disease with a prevalence of 1-2 per 1000 live births in developed countries. It demands an extensive and multidisciplinary care. Therefore, it is a challenge for our health system and a burden for patients and their families. Recently, stem cell therapy emerged as a promising treatment option and raised hope in patients and their families.

AIM
The aim is to evaluate the efficacy and safety of stem cell treatment in children with CP using a systematic review and meta-analysis

METHODS
We performed a systematic literature search on PubMed and EMBASE to find randomized controlled clinical trials (RCT) investigating the effect of stem cell transplantation in children with CP. After the review, we performed a random-effects meta-analysis focusing on the change in gross motor function, which was quantified using the gross motor function measure. We calculated the pooled standardized mean differences of the 6- and/or 12-mo-outcome by the method of Cohen. We quantified the heterogeneity using the I-squared measure.

RESULTS
We identified a total of 8 RCT for a qualitative review. From the initially selected trials, 5 met the criteria and were included in the meta-analysis. Patients’ population ranged from 0.5 up to 35 years (n = 282). We detected a significant improvement in the gross motor function with a pooled standard mean difference of 0.95 (95% confidence interval: 0.13-1.76) favoring the stem cell group and a high heterogeneity (I2 = 90.1%). Serious adverse events were rare and equally distributed among both intervention and control groups.

CONCLUSION
Stem cell therapy for CP compared with symptomatic standard care only, shows a significant positive effect on the gross motor function, although the magnitude of the improvement is limited. Short-term safety is present and further high-quality RCTs are needed.
Gold: 550.00
Oct 28 2022 11:04am
Quote (DCEVO @ Oct 28 2022 12:46am)
Im hoping for advances in stem cell technology. I saw on YouTube that there is people that started walking after getting stem cell treatment.

One case a boy named Aleksander who started the treatment in Thailand went from severe cerebral palsy plagued with seizures to after two stem cell transplants being able to having no more seizures, improvement in muscle tone, improved motor skills, improved social skills, and improved emotional wellbeing.

There is no long term studies though, since it's fairly new treatment. Is this something that I should look into for my family member?

The issue imo is that cerebral palsy isn't a single disease. Its a label given to a range of outcomes with a shared phenotype that are the result of neonatal brain damage or misdevelopment. I'd be wary of anyone who touts stem cell transplants as a miracle cure for anything at this point, its very common to see it in my field (neurodegen) but there aren't a lot of serious people pursuing it. It has promise for sure, but all the clinics offering it to patients outside of controlled, clinical trial settings feel very predatory and dangerous to me.
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll