d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Investment & Finance > 2022 Q3 Earnings Discussion Thread
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 32,161.71
Oct 14 2022 05:09pm
That main thread gets cluttered and this is gonna take a lot of attention over the next month. Maybe we can try isolating a thread for this and see how it goes

Time goes by fast. Banks have reported fairly good earnings so far and beaten consensus estimates. Airlines have been flat-positive. Tech coming up soon. Think this is gonna be a stock pickers market for a bit. Think Netflix is next week

This post was edited by Bazi on Oct 14 2022 05:12pm
Gold: 1.00
Oct 18 2022 10:31am
Completely anecdotal, but I have across far more individuals here in Canada that are upset with their Tesla's than happy. All of it being driven by quality control issues. Replacement of all door handles, replacement of batteries, replacement of xyz. Some are satisfied but their QC seems to be all over the map.

I was reading over some of the Q2 statements to see if they published a defect rate and I didn't see anything besides some reserves which you could derive the estimated internal rate from that if you needed.

They also did have this"Our business may suffer if our products or features contain defects, fail to perform as expected or take longer than expected to become fully functional.

If our products contain design or manufacturing defects that cause them not to perform as expected or that require repair, or certain features of our vehicles such as new Autopilot or FSD features take longer than expected to become enabled, are legally restricted or become subject to onerous regulation, our ability to develop, market and sell our products and services may be harmed, and we may experience delivery delays, product recalls, product liability, breach of warranty and consumer protection claims and significant warranty and other expenses. For example, we are developing self-driving and driver assist technologies to rely on vision-based sensors, unlike alternative technologies in development that additionally require other redundant sensors. There is no guarantee that any incremental changes in the specific equipment we deploy in our vehicles over time will not result in initial functional disparities from prior iterations or will perform as expected in the timeframe we anticipate, or at all.

Our products are also highly dependent on software, which is inherently complex and may contain latent defects or errors or be subject to external attacks. Issues experienced by our customers have included those related to the Model S and Model X 17-inch display screen, the panoramic roof and the 12-volt battery in the Model S, the seats and doors in the Model X and the operation of solar panels installed by us. Although we attempt to remedy any issues we observe in our products as effectively and rapidly as possible, such efforts may not be timely, may hamper production or may not completely satisfy our customers. While we have performed, and continue to perform, extensive internal testing on our products and features, we currently have a limited frame of reference by which to evaluate their long-term quality, reliability, durability and performance characteristics. There can be no assurance that we will be able to detect and fix any defects in our products prior to their sale to or installation for customers."

I wonder how long their actual testing period is. I assume competitive pressure at this point is resulting in release times well before software and hardware is adequately tested.
Oct 18 2022 11:30am
Quote (SBD @ Oct 18 2022 11:31am)
Completely anecdotal, but I have across far more individuals here in Canada that are upset with their Tesla's than happy. All of it being driven by quality control issues. Replacement of all door handles, replacement of batteries, replacement of xyz. Some are satisfied but their QC seems to be all over the map.

I was reading over some of the Q2 statements to see if they published a defect rate and I didn't see anything besides some reserves which you could derive the estimated internal rate from that if you needed.

They also did have this"Our business may suffer if our products or features contain defects, fail to perform as expected or take longer than expected to become fully functional.

If our products contain design or manufacturing defects that cause them not to perform as expected or that require repair, or certain features of our vehicles such as new Autopilot or FSD features take longer than expected to become enabled, are legally restricted or become subject to onerous regulation, our ability to develop, market and sell our products and services may be harmed, and we may experience delivery delays, product recalls, product liability, breach of warranty and consumer protection claims and significant warranty and other expenses. For example, we are developing self-driving and driver assist technologies to rely on vision-based sensors, unlike alternative technologies in development that additionally require other redundant sensors. There is no guarantee that any incremental changes in the specific equipment we deploy in our vehicles over time will not result in initial functional disparities from prior iterations or will perform as expected in the timeframe we anticipate, or at all.

Our products are also highly dependent on software, which is inherently complex and may contain latent defects or errors or be subject to external attacks. Issues experienced by our customers have included those related to the Model S and Model X 17-inch display screen, the panoramic roof and the 12-volt battery in the Model S, the seats and doors in the Model X and the operation of solar panels installed by us. Although we attempt to remedy any issues we observe in our products as effectively and rapidly as possible, such efforts may not be timely, may hamper production or may not completely satisfy our customers. While we have performed, and continue to perform, extensive internal testing on our products and features, we currently have a limited frame of reference by which to evaluate their long-term quality, reliability, durability and performance characteristics. There can be no assurance that we will be able to detect and fix any defects in our products prior to their sale to or installation for customers."

I wonder how long their actual testing period is. I assume competitive pressure at this point is resulting in release times well before software and hardware is adequately tested.

I’ve heard a lot of the same honestly, but obviously anecdotal.

Also relevant is the majority of Tesla car buyers were new owners for the better part of a decade and now that has equalized a lot. They have thrown in loyalty incentives now for existing owners (this year I think)

I wasn’t thrilled about their last quarter and I think the numbers were overly padded by their crypto sells. This quarter won’t have the same padding.

The Chinese consumer will be very important this quarter. Wall Street is pricing in a beat but I’m not that optimistic and there’s a gap to 190 still

Netflix reports today, I trimmed today and took some gains. I don’t mind a big beat, but if this is an awful quarter that sends it sub 200 I would take the opportunity to add. Really too soon to see the effect of their ad tier, for the better or for the worse. Hulu does make more from their ad tier then there full subscription

This post was edited by Bazi on Oct 18 2022 11:31am
Oct 18 2022 04:03pm
Netflix with a gem of a quarter

Beat eps
Beat revenue
Big beat in subs
Optimistic q4 guidance

Gold: 0.00
Oct 19 2022 05:23pm
Quote (SBD @ Oct 18 2022 12:31pm)

&A and is standard reporting.

Tesla is also the only one (?) who actively makes updates on the assembly line vs. waiting for "next years" roll out. My understanding is that 2023 Model Ys coming off the line have great QC.
Gold: 4,200.69
Warn: 20%
Oct 20 2022 01:05am
I think most earnings will be better than expected

Except maybe semiconductors
Oct 20 2022 09:31am
Tesla with modest eps beat and miss on revenue

honestly better than what I was expecting.
Oct 20 2022 01:38pm
Jesus snap is reporting after hours today

This shit company has destroyed online ad stocks the last 2 quarters with their own shit earnings

Gold: 9,535.00
Oct 20 2022 02:06pm
Quote (Pharaohmon @ Oct 20 2022 02:05am)
I think most earnings will be better than expected

Except maybe semiconductors

Exactly why I haven’t bought back into NVDA.
I have however, been loading up on Google.
Thinking of jumping into MMM. A dividend aristocrat that has an enticing yield right now. They have been beaten up by a recent lawsuit and inflation..
Oct 20 2022 02:13pm
Snap right on cue

Dog company fucking with mega caps

And I got no position on snap but to be fair it wasn’t a bad quarter

1.13 vs 1.14 revenue loss

Beat eps and showed a profit
Best new user estimated

Shrug

This post was edited by Bazi on Oct 20 2022 02:28pm
Go Back To Investment & Finance Topic List
1234Next