d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Need Advice
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4.15
Oct 4 2022 02:53pm
Normally I'm pretty good with computers but this is driving me bonkers.

I've had to perform 3 complete fresh installs of windows onto my computer over the last 3 months. After about 3 weeks, I start seeing random errors when trying to open/save notepad files,photos,music and anything in general. After another week, my computer becomes an error factory and it gets to the point where I have to fresh install windows. Then the timer begins again, and 4 weeks later it's inevitable I have to fresh reinstall again.

I've ran all of the check disc commands (the plethora of them) and Windows keeps saying my hard drives are fine (1tb internal mechanical, <-- windows on this one, and 1tb nvme m.2) so I don't think they are failing and causing this issue. Since this is a fresh install, it can't be malware or trojans or viruses unless somehow I keep getting the same exact one that can not be detected by Malwarebytes.

This is an example of the doomsday clock.

Once I see this I know it's going to go downhill with more and more errors.

This post was edited by CrAzY-Willy on Oct 4 2022 02:54pm
Gold: 0.55
Oct 5 2022 01:40am
Where did you get the windows installation from? Maybe its fucked. Download it from Microsoft website. And is it win 10 or 11 u are using?

Edit: just looked at the error from a google search it seems like a bug that windows 10 has. The fix is to reset the app via advanced settings.
If this doesnt work upgrade to win11 if this doesnt work throw it out the window
Oct 5 2022 06:50am
Quote (Superstu96 @ Oct 5 2022 03:40am)
Where did you get the windows installation from? Maybe its fucked. Download it from Microsoft website. And is it win 10 or 11 u are using?

Edit: just looked at the error from a google search it seems like a bug that windows 10 has. The fix is to reset the app via advanced settings.
If this doesnt work upgrade to win11 if this doesnt work throw it out the window

The windows installation is from the microsoft website. W10 Home edition.

This error isn't just from a single app. I have 3 ways to play music, and none of them will open mp3 files anymore.

Can't really just throw it out the window lol... I would love to and get a new one but that's not an option at the moment so I have to make due with what I have sadly.

Also, the freezes have started now. Randomly everything will just freeze completely for about 30 seconds and then everything will catch back up and it will be fine for hours on end. Then it will happen the following day a few times and get worse over time.
Oct 5 2022 06:59am
System specs?
Can you upgrade to win 11 temporary and try and see if that fixes the problem
Edit: https://youtu.be/Pht6bgn3SoQ
Try this fix

This post was edited by Superstu96 on Oct 5 2022 07:01am
Oct 5 2022 07:15am
Quote (Superstu96 @ Oct 5 2022 08:59am)
System specs?
Can you upgrade to win 11 temporary and try and see if that fixes the problem
Edit: https://youtu.be/Pht6bgn3SoQ
Try this fix

I'd rather not upgrade to 11, I actually tried that once before a previous fresh install and it just made it worse! -.-'' , damn computer is pissing me off lol

I'll tyr that fix and see what happens
Gold: 30.00
Warn: 20%
Oct 5 2022 09:36am
Quote (CrAzY-Willy @ Oct 5 2022 07:15am)
I'd rather not upgrade to 11, I actually tried that once before a previous fresh install and it just made it worse! -.-'' , damn computer is pissing me off lol

I'll tyr that fix and see what happens

Try disconnecting your Mechanical Hard Drive (HDD I'm assuming) and do a fresh Windows 10 install on your M2 NVME. Keep the HDD disconnected and run tasks as you normally would.

I have a feeling it's your HDD, how old is it? Might be worth trying IMO.

The Windows install should be on your M2 NVME anyways, much faster boot/loads.
Oct 5 2022 01:29pm
Quote (MadMardi @ Oct 5 2022 11:36am)
Try disconnecting your Mechanical Hard Drive (HDD I'm assuming) and do a fresh Windows 10 install on your M2 NVME. Keep the HDD disconnected and run tasks as you normally would.

I have a feeling it's your HDD, how old is it? Might be worth trying IMO.

The Windows install should be on your M2 NVME anyways, much faster boot/loads.

I 100% agree with you, but when I received this, the windows install was on the HDD even though I requested it to be on the NVME. So I used the USB install of windows they gave me and tried just that. For some reason, my BIOS does not recognize it as a main drive and won't allow me to install windows onto it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it just won't show up as an option to install windows onto.

The PC is nearing 3 years old, I bought it back in Feb 2020.

I also actually purchased a SSD to replace my HDD to give that a try and see if it works.

BUT... honestly I wouldn't mind just removing the HDD all together and just using the NVME as the only harddrive, maybe that will work and force my computer to install onto it. I'm gonna try that tomorrow when I have all day free. I don't really use the thing except for Genshin Impact and FF XIV so hard drive space is not something I'm worried about.

This post was edited by CrAzY-Willy on Oct 5 2022 01:30pm
Oct 9 2022 06:06pm
Pretty sure it was the hard drive, even though all checks were fine on it according to windows.

Replaced it and so far so good after a fresh install.
Oct 9 2022 11:42pm
Good to hear :)
Gold: 0.00
Oct 10 2022 07:23pm
1. Visit your Motherboards website, and make sure that your BIOS is up to date, then you can proceed to changing your boot priority to SSD, which then you will be able to install a fresh copy of windows on there.
(Edit : a dead Cr2032 battery, could also be resetting the bios every time you turn your pc on, preventing you from setting prirority's )

2. Is your computer more than 6 years old? If so, it is probably time to replace the CR2032 battery for the CMOS on your motherboard.
(Signs of battery's end of life : This can cause hardware/driver interruption 1-2 minutes, every 15-40 minutes. Time can vary depending on hardware,devices,drivers. )
When its really dead, your computer will beep 4 times, as if your GPU or Ram is not inserted properly.

3. If your having .mp3 format issues, and they won't play on Windows media player, and won't even play on Programs like VLC .
That just means that your audio driver is out of date, or missing codec's. Sometimes that is also a sign that your CR2032 Battery is at the end of its life as well.
(Having a dead battery can cause your BIOS to reset to defaults, which changes your USB/Audio settings )

Intel???? Razer???
Also: if you have a intel cpu, and any Razer products like keyboard/mouse/headset ect, i would recommend unplugging them, and unplugging the computers power for 5 minutes and plugging the power back in, turn pc on without razer projects and see if that helps.
Sometimes if your intel usb drivers are not up to date, razer products will freeze up/crash a pc. ( this also happens often if your computer CR2032 battery is at the end of its life ) Due to the bios Reset..

Hope this info helps.

This post was edited by conetopia on Oct 10 2022 07:26pm
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll