d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Need Advice On Pursuit Of New It Career
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4.00
Jan 11 2023 07:19pm
Quote (AntiMatter5 @ Jan 11 2023 06:09pm)
Yes very helpful thoughts and much appreciated.

I am seeking more of a business/data analyst role though. Admittedly, as you already know, my work experience in any of these IT positions is in need of much work.
So I am not sure what the fundamental differences are between a Jr, Staff or Senior level for either the BA, DA, or as you mention SE roles.

I have a moderate knowledge and official certifications now of SQL, Python and Power BI. I know of course that work experience and hands on for 8+ hours a day is much different than studying for 3-4 hours per night for the last 5-6 months (admittedly with 1-2 days off per week). Maybe you can offer some more clarification on what the roles entail.

I had thought that my thorough understanding of all areas of the insurance business and familiarity with nearly all of the programs the company uses would help - note this is a fortune 100 company and I have worked here for years. I feel like you are suggesting this will not help me as much as I had assumed it will?

I would suggest you aim for the data/business analyst career path based on your experience and education. I’m certain banking and insurance will have no shortage of such needs. It will more or less entail working with databases/warehouses at a light to moderate capacity, perform data transformation/clean-up, and data reporting. You’ll need to get comfortable with scheduling data processing automation tasks and writing ETL scripts. Although the tools change, you can easily identify the current top tech stack you should focus on learning. Connecting to the data, transforming the data, reporting/delivering the data and finally being able to automate and schedule jobs around that entire process as a pipeline will be the basic value that employers will look for.
Gold: 0.09
Feb 14 2023 04:50am
Hello there, interesting discussion going on here.

As a regular IT guy, I have no idea where to start so, I will just head to it.

The numbers you are quoting suggest to me you are living in the high standard part of the US where the IT industry must (from what I have only been told by colleagues and friends) encompass all positives and negatives to the extreme end - most stress, highest salaries, toughest competition and so on. Being anywhere in IT right now, even in Europe from what I see recently (unless you are developer/engineer and quite a gifted one if I might add) is a rough path to take. I am also in a big fintech company having lots of relationships with people working in crypto related organizations, high positions in the banking and insurance sector etc. and the area you are after namely business analyst, data analyst, data scientist, business owner, product owner and so on, is right now becoming kind of a niche. Why is that? The companies who are not strictly IT companies (not developing products to directly sell on the web so to say - websites, games, software services etc) use mainly tools developed by these other tech companies, big expensive enterprise tools for most of their needs - ERP, CRM, KPI measuring and such. This you might have also realized having gone though all those third party certifications and all. So, there are a lot of people willing to earn those certificates and as great as the demand is, the salary is usually not. Just being able to operate and understand them (run SQL queries, use Tableau, Power BI..) is enough for a starter position as other people noted, interviewers will be looking for more than that if you want to start higher. Unless referred by someone, your other experience might be ignored by the recruiters. My advice will be

1. Either accept that, start as junior (if financially feasible in your life) and prove within 6-12 months that you can bring a lot more value to the organization - you will get noticed and promoted long before that. As you have noted, the options are managing areas of business intelligence. Again, in my experience, those are a few positions in each company as opposed to let's say development leading roles.
2. Find out the product/system you understand the most from your previous line of work, check what is the status of the company developing e.g. how many other big businesses use the same tool, what is the stock if pub traded company developing that said tool, are a lot of customizations available to it , how much they can cost etc. and balance this with the available positions and their respective salaries in your area (or maybe not if remote is option?) and go with that.

Hope this sheds some light :) I moved from Operations through Business Analysis to Software Development within the past 11 years.

Gold: 634.20
Feb 15 2023 04:39pm
Quote (zgodx @ Feb 14 2023 05:50am)

The numbers you are quoting suggest to me you are living in the high standard part of the US where the IT industry must (from what I have only been told by colleagues and friends) encompass all positives and negatives to the extreme end - most stress, highest salaries, toughest competition and so on. Being anywhere in IT right now, even in Europe from what I see recently (unless you are developer/engineer and quite a gifted one if I might add) is a rough path to take. I am also in a big fintech company having lots of relationships with people working in crypto related organizations, high positions in the banking and insurance sector etc. and the area you are after namely business analyst, data analyst, data scientist, business owner, product owner and so on, is right now becoming kind of a niche. Why is that? The companies who are not strictly IT companies (not developing products to directly sell on the web so to say - websites, games, software services etc) use mainly tools developed by these other tech companies, big expensive enterprise tools for most of their needs - ERP, CRM, KPI measuring and such. This you might have also realized having gone though all those third party certifications and all. So, there are a lot of people willing to earn those certificates and as great as the demand is, the salary is usually not. Just being able to operate and understand them (run SQL queries, use Tableau, Power BI..) is enough for a starter position as other people noted, interviewers will be looking for more than that if you want to start higher. Unless referred by someone, your other experience might be ignored by the recruiters. My advice will be

1. Either accept that, start as junior (if financially feasible in your life) and prove within 6-12 months that you can bring a lot more value to the organization - you will get noticed and promoted long before that. As you have noted, the options are managing areas of business intelligence. Again, in my experience, those are a few positions in each company as opposed to let's say development leading roles.
2. Find out the product/system you understand the most from your previous line of work, check what is the status of the company developing e.g. how many other big businesses use the same tool, what is the stock if pub traded company developing that said tool, are a lot of customizations available to it , how much they can cost etc. and balance this with the available positions and their respective salaries in your area (or maybe not if remote is option?) and go with that.

Hope this sheds some light :) I moved from Operations through Business Analysis to Software Development within the past 11 years.

Amazing input my friend and much appreciated. I am actually well on my way through the journey since my first post and as you suggested, have found out some of these things along the way.

I decided to stick with insurance as my experience in the industry has allowed me to leverage that into interviews for not just beyond the JR level, but I have even had interviews the past week for level 2 positions internally. The managers in these departments (data analysis, project management, etc) were ecstatic when they realized my knowledge of the company and industry. Most commented that the certifications of SQL and others are very helpful but that they will save 6-12 months of training and networking with my internal knowledge of the systems and contacts inside the organization.

I had originally thought my experience would not apply, as you suggested. That may be the case if I had switched companies. Luckily I am at a fortune 100 with dozens of IT postings open everyday.

The input from everyone here has been most helpful - I am now in a position where I am likely to have several offers internally this week and may be able to leverage to a level 2 or right below Senior level type of Data Analysis position. I am also waiting to hear back on a Data Engineer position I had two interviews for. Will post updates and still looking forward to any more input.
Mar 29 2023 04:26pm
Quote (zgodx @ Feb 14 2023 06:50am)

I wanted to provide an update for everyone who helped me here. I started a job as an IT Business Analyst II earlier this month. I was able to get higher pay and position by leveraging my insurance knowledge and staying in the industry. I was able to leverage my companies internal policies as well and moved internally. As a Senior Claims Investigator, my company was not able to offer me the JR or even level 1 BA role due to the pay grades they have - the top of those pay bands were lower than my salary was already. Because of this, I can likely apply for a Senior role in 1-2 years as opposed to 3-5 as my position is just below Senior as opposed to starting as a Jr. I will be able to spend more time with my family and enjoy life with them more.

I plan to continue learning while now at home with my family. Taking certifications at my kitchen table while talking to my family. Hopefully getting to a team lead type role in the next 5 years or so and aiming at 150k or more.

I cannot thank everyone who helped me along the journey enough. I cannot say with words how every night when I am off at 5 PM and not working 12 hours per day means to me. When I will sit at dinner with old friends who drifted away due to my overworking for years. The time with my family. Thank you so much.

Gold: 5,064.33
Mar 30 2023 06:30am
that's great mate
gz
Gold: 0.09
Mar 30 2023 01:49pm
big gzs :) wish you all the best - to you and your family!

missed the first quote somehow smh
Gold: 3,558.23
Apr 28 2023 12:05pm
Dude, that's awesome! Congrats!
Jun 21 2023 04:50pm
Hello Friends,

I wanted to reach out for more input. I am finding my job as a IT Business Analyst II is a bit too easy. My knowledge of the insurance industry is too comprehensive and I am able to work very little through the day. This has me believing I may be able to advance even more quickly to a senior or team lead role. I am aiming at 120-150k salary.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to certifications I can get to back up and help demonstrate my experience and expertise to new employers?

I currently have the following certs:

TSQL
Google Data Analytics
620 All Lines Claim Adjuster
Intro to Power BI
Intro to Python
-
The ones I am thinking for next are:
AZ900 Azure Fundamentals
IBAA Certified Business Analysis Professional
SCRUM
-
I am also considering moving to a developer track as I see many postings for entry level developer starting around 120k
I have seen a few Azure related postings with major insurance companies which I know I have a better chance with.
Here are the skills listed on the posting:

Microsoft Certified: Azure Data Engineer or
Microsoft Certified: Azure Developer Associate
Experience with Apache Spark
Experience with Azure Data Factory (ADF)
Experience with Machine Learning algorithms
Experience with Cloud-based deployments
Experience with Microservices Architecture
Familiarity with Azure DevOps (ADO) and Shell scripting
Familiarity with unit testing and integration testing (e.g. JUnit and JMeter)

I am new to these items. Any input on what track may be good for me to accelerate my career and salary would be much appreciated.
Jun 24 2023 12:12pm
Bump

I have consulted with some friends but am still in need of input.
Jul 30 2023 10:29am
I have now attained the Azure AZ-900 cert and am looking for more input. Truly appreciate all who have taken the time to review my post and give feedback. The quality of my life and my family time has increased a thousand fold - I have gone from dreading each day to being happy for what is to come.

Still looking to advance the ladder and get the bag to provide my family the best life. Any input on further career certs or choices is highly appreciated.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll