d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Has Video Games Done More Good Than Harm?
Prev1567
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 102.00
Aug 19 2022 10:33am
video games would be helpful if the objectives in them required useful knowledge or had plots that involved life lessons.

instead they have loots boxes to hook kids on dopamine hits.
Gold: 102.00
Aug 19 2022 10:36am
Quote (WastedPenguinz @ Aug 19 2022 12:33pm)
video games would be helpful if the objectives in them required useful knowledge or had plots that involved life lessons.

instead they have loots boxes to hook kids on dopamine hits.

theyre mostly designed to be stupid simple to gather a larger audience. the outcome is a lower bar of self-satisfaction and in time overall lesser beings.

also, to beat the computer, you must think like one. what consequences go uninvestigated on the impact this has on perception.
Gold: 35,470.24
Warn: 10%
Aug 19 2022 10:40am
Quote (YeeHaw @ Aug 19 2022 11:06am)
The only game prisoners are allowed to play is Battletoads.

That is one tough game.
Modern kids playing would cry.
"You mean I have to start over when I fail,
why you griefing me."

But to be fair, they cry over anything.... :cry:
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 10%
Aug 19 2022 10:46am
Quote (sirthom @ Aug 19 2022 11:40am)
That is one tough game.
Modern kids playing would cry.
"You mean I have to start over when I fail,
why you griefing me."

But to be fair, they cry over anything.... :cry:

I mean, the ultimate form of punishment right?

Or maybe they are forced to play guild wars on a windows 98 Dell.

This post was edited by YeeHaw on Aug 19 2022 10:47am
Gold: 7.77
Aug 19 2022 10:53am
Quote (pwb3 @ Aug 19 2022 08:59am)
Terrible idea. Prison is not a place for entertainment but for punishment. There must be consequences for bad actions, and that time in prison will give the felons plenty of time to think about their past wrongdoings. Oftentimes they become better people thanks to their time there. Gaming will destroy that chance.

How do inmates who are serving a life sentence "become better people thanks to their time there"?

Also, have you ever been inside a prison? There's not much rehabilitation going on.
Gold: 2,489.69
Aug 19 2022 10:54am
Quote (pwb3 @ Aug 18 2022 10:44pm)
Nice, 10% warn. Now we can enjoy a monthlong break from your trolling :)

lol dude got nuked! everyone liked that.
Gold: 2,489.69
Aug 19 2022 10:55am
Quote (Handcuffs @ Aug 19 2022 11:53am)
How do inmates who are serving a life sentence "become better people thanks to their time there"?

Also, have you ever been inside a prison? There's not much rehabilitation going on.

the only people rehabilitated in prison are those who are raped and/or beaten and do everything they can to not return.
Gold: 50,061.36
Aug 19 2022 07:07pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Aug 19 2022 09:53am)

I have never been to a prison. However, I have listened/read many stories from inmates, and are friends with a couple people who have been there. I think I know enough in order to understand that time spent in prison helps many of them to meditate and ponder on their life issues and choices they have made, and realize their mistakes.

Gaming is like an escape. I know this from first hand experience. It almost literally takes you to an entire new world, a place far far away, and you completely forget about your everyday problems. I remember when I used to play WoW hardcore, and I would play for hours before I realize it’s well past midnight and I hadn’t yet had dinner. It’s crazy how addictive games can be.

Because of this, time spent in prison with gaming will be no different from being home at all. Therefore, these felons wouldn’t change at all. They won’t get better. They will repeat their offenses and return to prison after they get out. What’s the point of having prison at all…

This is a really terrible idea.
Gold: 7.77
Aug 19 2022 08:00pm
Quote (pwb3 @ Aug 19 2022 06:07pm)
I have never been to a prison. However, I have listened/read many stories from inmates, and are friends with a couple people who have been there. I think I know enough in order to understand that time spent in prison helps many of them to meditate and ponder on their life issues and choices they have made, and realize their mistakes.

Gaming is like an escape. I know this from first hand experience. It almost literally takes you to an entire new world, a place far far away, and you completely forget about your everyday problems. I remember when I used to play WoW hardcore, and I would play for hours before I realize it’s well past midnight and I hadn’t yet had dinner. It’s crazy how addictive games can be.

Because of this, time spent in prison with gaming will be no different from being home at all. Therefore, these felons wouldn’t change at all. They won’t get better. They will repeat their offenses and return to prison after they get out. What’s the point of having prison at all…

This is a really terrible idea.

How do people sentenced to life in prison have a risk of "repeating their offenses and return to prison when they get out"?
Gold: 80,239.69
Aug 20 2022 09:05pm
Quote (sirthom @ Aug 18 2022 02:10pm)
Not complex at all.
Of coarse it is, just like tv, movies, news, magazines, commercials, etc., etc.
it's all small and subtle so hopefully you dont notice.
But even when you do, if point it out to others they will say "what that? that's tiny and doesn't do much."
They are correct, it is.
But all of it together manipulates.
Just like how ants can take down creatures much bigger than themselves.

Quote (Taurean @ Aug 18 2022 02:03pm)
I realize this is a very complex question. Let's use psychology.

At least it gives some purpose, and also practice of the braincells, for rejects and victims of psychopaths in school and elsewhere. The best thing would be for them to get help and the bullies to be evicted (and preferably helped). But as society is as it is, poor and middle class are sifted through the school system only to be come working bees for the rich, and the government. They don't care if someone is bullied to death.

Back in the day, rejects were most likely hounded to insanity by governmental institutions. Today, and back to 20-30 years ago, at least they could use games to have something to keep confidence.

I don't view video games any different than chess. In Norway, we have Magnus Carlsen .. he is being revered as a national hero in the mass media .. yet children and youth that spend a lot of time gaming, are viewed and revered as rejects. The world health organization has acknowledged gaming as a disorder. Why isn't chess viewed the same way? Because when someone makes money on something, that is everything that makes a difference to the government. That is pretty sick. It is the same with gaming though; As long as someone manages to make money on it, they are left to their own device. Which i personally think is equally absurd. The point here is, gamers are getting a lot of unfair negative stigmatization. It is a hobby equal to any other.

But, let's say this .. back in the day, many that may have lead "normal" lives . i.e. gotten a job and been happy with that, in today's society, may spend more time gaming than staying happy with a job... evolving constructive skills, and leading a normal family life.

I simply wonder if gaming has given victims more freedom and thus better mental health, and if this weighs more positive to the entire humanity than people developing gaming "addiction" and thus losing out on life's other opportunities.

What is your verdict?

video games are to justify a virtual image feeding parasite mentioned in the book of revelations as the "worm that dieth not" or "the image of the 1st 'byeast' ", etc.
they developed 2012 when the cloaking grey aliens started spraying humanity w/ chemtrails

these parasitics interject false thinking, fake personas and demonic actions that are better seen when understanding how evil moves across the chess board.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1567
Add Reply New Topic New Poll