d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Love Line > Difference Between Men And Women
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,453.85
Aug 9 2022 08:47pm
Today I had an exchange with someone, presumably a man. He mentioned that he experienced anxiety, so I offered unsolicited advice on how to treat it. Then he got offended.

I was surprised. I thought I was just trying to help. But I guess he thought this somehow implied that he was weak or something. He kept saying that he did not need help.

I wonder if this is due to the innate difference in communication styles between men and women. I am a woman, and if another woman offers me help or advice of some kind, I would simply say thank you even though I wasn't really asking for help of any kind. I know she means well and I don't take offense at all. At the most I would say, "thanks but to be honest, it doesn't bother me. I don't really need any help or advice, but thank you anyway".

Anyway I think it's kind of interesting. I feel like I learned a little bit about the male population today. Note to self: do not offer a man unsolicited help or advice.
Gold: 315.00
Aug 11 2022 10:19pm
Without knowing what was discussed and how you approached this issue, it will be difficult for us to judge why it backfired.

Generally if someone opens up to you it means that person wants you to either just listenand/or wants your opinion.

Everyone is different so you should be cautious.

That being said, I think your conclusion is wrong. Both women and men, if they open up, should more or less react positively if someone helps them.

This post was edited by FantasyWorldII on Aug 11 2022 10:21pm
Aug 11 2022 10:48pm
Quote (FantasyWorldII @ Aug 11 2022 09:19pm)
Without knowing what was discussed and how you approached this issue, it will be difficult for us to judge why it backfired.

Generally if someone opens up to you it means that person wants you to either just listenand/or wants your opinion.

Everyone is different so you should be cautious.

That being said, I think your conclusion is wrong. Both women and men, if they open up, should more or less react positively if someone helps them.

Thank you for your post.

If you want more context, it's from this thread: https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=96126330&f=27&o=10 Scroll to post #16 and see my exchange with urbantech2.

This post was edited by JessiWan on Aug 11 2022 10:48pm
Gold: 50,062.31
Aug 11 2022 10:51pm
Everyone is different, men or women it doesn’t matter. Don’t put all men into one category based on one man you met.
Gold: 224.00
Aug 12 2022 06:41am
Quote (JessiWan @ 10 Aug 2022 04:47)
Today I had an exchange with someone, presumably a man. He mentioned that he experienced anxiety, so I offered unsolicited advice on how to treat it. Then he got offended.

I was surprised. I thought I was just trying to help. But I guess he thought this somehow implied that he was weak or something. He kept saying that he did not need help.

I wonder if this is due to the innate difference in communication styles between men and women. I am a woman, and if another woman offers me help or advice of some kind, I would simply say thank you even though I wasn't really asking for help of any kind. I know she means well and I don't take offense at all. At the most I would say, "thanks but to be honest, it doesn't bother me. I don't really need any help or advice, but thank you anyway".

Anyway I think it's kind of interesting. I feel like I learned a little bit about the male population today. Note to self: do not offer a man unsolicited help or advice.

N=1 here. And you're on d2jsp, so N=0.

Making broad generalisations between genders is always tricky and a recipe for offending people.
Gold: 8,848.69
Aug 12 2022 02:08pm
It says more about the person, not the gender. Some people are just more receptive to help.
Gold: 26,456.00
Aug 13 2022 04:47pm
After reading the thread you are talking about. You really need to read/listen to other people. He never said he had a problem with his anxiety but there you are forcing your „help” onto him even though he said he doesn’t need your help.

This just shows how insufferable you are. And how easily offended you get. It’s also always the same with you. You get offended somewhere and then you come running/open a new thread to seek validation from other users.
Aug 13 2022 04:51pm
Quote (masl @ Aug 13 2022 03:47pm)
After reading the thread you are talking about. You really need to read/listen to other people. He never said he had a problem with his anxiety but there you are forcing your „help” onto him even though he said he doesn’t need your help.

How am I "forcing" help onto him? Yes I did offer help that was unsolicited, but I wasn't forcing him to accept it. Also, I only learned later that he didn't need help. If he had said at the very beginning that he didn't need any help, I would not have offered any.

This just shows how insufferable you are. And how easily offended you get. It’s also always the same with you. You get offended somewhere and then you come running/open a new thread to seek validation from other users.

Lol, sounds like you are the one who's offended. Look at you trying this hard to get back at me. I guess you have read a few of my ultra-racist posts in Pard and they have caused your lil lefty head to explode.
Gold: 26,456.00
Aug 13 2022 04:56pm
Quote (JessiWan @ 14 Aug 2022 00:51)
How am I "forcing" help onto him? Yes I did offer help that was unsolicited, but I wasn't forcing him to accept it. Also, I only learned later that he didn't need help. If he had said at the very beginning that he didn't need any help, I would not have offered any.

Lol, sounds like you are the one who's offended. Look at you trying this hard to get back at me. I guess you have read a few of my ultra-racist posts in Pard and they have caused your lil lefty head to explode.

As I said insufferable. I don’t care about your racist remarks. Or I would have replied to you in the pard thread. I was just trying to give you some advice because it seems like you are having problems communicating with other human beings
Aug 13 2022 05:02pm
Quote (masl @ Aug 13 2022 03:56pm)
As I said insufferable. I don’t care about your racist remarks. Or I would have replied to you in the pard thread. I was just trying to give you some advice because it seems like you are having problems communicating with other human beings

I trigger you.

:)
Go Back To Love Line Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll