d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > New To Diablo 2
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,696.38
Jul 31 2022 03:33pm
Hi. I want to start Diablo 2. Never played and that will be my first time. What should I do at the first? I will answer tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies !
Gold: 0.69
Trader: Trusted
Jul 31 2022 03:59pm
Just pick up the game and play.
Game as intended.
Gold: 397.00
Warn: 60%
Jul 31 2022 06:11pm
Go with the character that appeals the most to you. What other games have you played - and what style of gameplay did you play there? Ranged, magic, melee, minions? You have all the choices in diablo 2.

The other tip i have is to never spend fg on items. Manage by yourself. One or two items is okay, but only after you've played for a while and is familiar with the game. Botters is dominating the market, and by supporting them, you are supporting their hold on the market.

Softcore is probably a smart choice to begin with, where you can die and continue, though with a loss of experience. In hardcore, if you die, you lose all your gear on you and in stash+inventory, and the character itself, so that is a very unforgiving mode. But also very thrilling, rewarding and exhilarating when you make progress. And gets the adrenaline pumping when you have a near ko-situation. You need to learn a lot of harsh lessons if you want to survive long in hardcore.

The way the gear logistics work in this game is by making mules. Those are level 1 characters you use only for keeping gear stashed. You make a game online; Call it i.e.; aab with password bb, drop stuff on the ground, leave the game, rejoin with one of the mules, then pick the stuff up. Naming the mules appropriately is the key to efficient logistics.

Diablo 2 is quite a complex game, with quite a lot of items to get familiar with. The best advice i can give is this; Use what seems to be the best items and gear at all times, and don't spend too much time reading and comparing things. Because the game is fairly balanced, and spending 1 hour to figure out if a weapon deals 20% more damage than another, it is better to spend 1 minute skimming it over, and 59 minutes progressing and maybe finding an item that deals 100% better damage. Usually this is the case.

Of course, make threads and ask questions if you are in too much doubt. And beware ... there are lots of toxic trolls here .. so keep a sound mental shield up when you read answers .. and never get into arguments .. the admins and mods will never take your side, always the bully's. So just report evil answers and forget them.

If you want to read about my experience in d2lod hardcore ladder this season, i made a thread about it... maybe you'll find it inspiring: https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=95805751&f=21

This post was edited by Taurean on Jul 31 2022 06:13pm
Gold: 1,444.13
Jul 31 2022 07:01pm
don't

game is old
game is dead
blizzard/activision is a horrible company now

you missed d2,
too late
skip it
Gold: 19,865.00
Jul 31 2022 08:30pm
7 different characters that all do different things.

You’re also posting in d2lod discussion you’ll get different answers if you decide on d2r as game is slightly different.

Easiest char to make first would be a sorc as it already has teleport and has fairly straight forward builds and game play. Outside of that, hammer pally is the most commonly played mf character since the only thing that can stop it is magic immune.
Gold: 6.37
Aug 1 2022 06:57am
You should select a character and choose a name. Then play the game and have fun.

How to ruin the game?
trist run
tombs
get rushed
chaos runs
baal runs
level 85 in 2 days
buy all gear
crush all content
games beat day 3

Buy elden ring after complete
Gold: 0.00
Aug 1 2022 07:06am
Play through normal solo.
Gold: 2,293.50
Aug 1 2022 07:36am
Quote (y_roc140 @ Aug 1 2022 03:06pm)
Play through normal solo.

This.
You will notice that at the end of every act there is a boss, which is pretty hard to beat, even compared to other hard enemies.

-Defense stat is not the most important stat - it does not reduce the physical damage that you take, it only reduces the chance of being hit ( defense value drops to 0 whenever you are running, but you can switch to walking by pressing "r" to prevent that from happening )
-Each point in a certain resistance reduces 1 more % against that type of damage. 50 fire resistance means that you take 50% less fire dmg, etc. 75% resistance is the maximum ( max res can be increased with some special items ). Fire and lightning resistances are considered the most important.
-Once you beat the game, you unlock the next diffículty. After normal comes nightmare ( your resistances are reduced by 40% each ) and after that comes Hell ( reduces resistances by 100% ). Monsters have more damage, more life, and more resistances.
-You lose experience when you die in a higher difficulty, but retrieving your corpse will give you most of that experience back. Your entire equipment is in your corpse, so you would have to retrieve it completely naked. Sometimes it's better to just leave the game and re-enter it
-Each level up, you get 5 stat points. Make sure to not put points into Energy, because mana can always be healed back with mana potions. Vitality gives you max health points, which is really important to survive longer
-The first quest in the first act gives you a special reward: You can reset all stat and skill points to switch to a different build. This works only one time per difficulty. Once you beat the game in hell mode, there is a different way of resetting all points, which allows you to reset as many times as you want.
-In many areas you will find 'waypoints'. They allow you to teleport through the areas very quickly, even after you exit the game. Make sure to look out for them. Click on the waypoint in the town to see which areas have a waypoint (so you don't end up searching for a waypoint that does not exist)

Make sure to pick up Rings and Amulets in the early stage of the game, cause you get a good amount of gold for them. Get a tome of town portals and a tome of identification as early as possible, so you can put up to 20 scrolls into them. Use with rightclick

Have fun, and make sure to ask whenever you need information.
Gold: 120.00
Aug 1 2022 08:57am
Play NL and save ur fg since you may feel boring after a month.
Gold: 58,428.00
Aug 1 2022 02:00pm
I agree that you should walk the game and get a good feel for it before you spend fg on a rush/gear. It’s much more fun that way. My first barb back in the day had over 400 str and would be one shottd everywhere lol. Take a look at some guides/YouTube channels for some tips and tricks.

I would start with this build :: https://d2.maxroll.gg/guides/frozen-orb-meteor-sorceress
Go Back To Diablo 2 Discussion Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll