d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > The Nature Of Space
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,453.85
Jul 29 2022 07:59pm
I have been thinking about space, what it is made of, if it's indeed made of something, how to define it, and to make sense of its nature. I started doing this ever since I came across a query. Some people are asking that, if the universe is expanding, what is it expanding into? I believe this question is a very thought-provoking one, and I feel that it touches upon the nature of space.

A related question is what true nothing-ness is. I can sort of imagine a state of being where there are no material, no particles, no waves, and there is nothing. But is this true nothing-ness? Apparently some people claim that in true nothing-ness, there isn't even space. I am finding this hard to conceptualize. I can imagine the lack of matter but I cannot imagine the lack of space. I mean, how can there be no space? It simply doesn't make sense. But some proponents of the big bang theory claim that the big bang gave birth to space, among many things. Which necessarily means that a total lack of space existed before the big bang. This f*cks with my mind so much, lol.

Anyway would love your thoughts.
Gold: 12,797.00
Warn: 20%
Jul 29 2022 09:00pm
hmmm

well although i dont know the answers to your question, and i kinda think no one does, i do know why it looks so weird to us to imagine lack of space or time, or as you said, fucks with our minds :wacko: we are used to stuff being at least somewhat intuitive as most of the laws of nature we evolved under, are visible to us. for example i didnt need newton to tell me that an apple will fall to the ground, i knew that. i might not have had the exact formula for it, but i understood it well intuitively. but once relativity and quantum mechanics came, we couldnt understand shit intuitively anymore, as we didnt have any experience with things that were big/fast/small enough to qualify. i know that relativity states that if i go at the speed of light, time stops for me. i know from quantum mechanics that that entangled particles can send information back in time. nothing of it makes any intuitive sense at all :cry: so i assume a lot of things are possible that dont make sense as we dont have experience with it :wacko:

as for the space question, im not really sure what to think :unsure: big bang may have started both space and time. oor the big bang was just one in an infinite space (inflation theory). actually i remember roger penrose talking about it in some jordan peterson podcast. i dislike jordan peterson so i had trouble following it, but i think penrose said how we could detect gravitational waves from before the big bang (other universes i assume), which would i guess mean big bang just happened in space and didnt make it, but im too lazy and sleepy to even try to understand that fucking autist penrose at this time :cry: also every time i heard anything about gravitational waves, it turned out to be a nothingburger :zzz:

my general approach is, if something is counterintuitive, im not even gonna bother with trying to understand it. and that goes for relativity and quantum mechanics as well as more mundane things such as fiat economy and girls with daddy issues :mellow:
Gold: 44.69
Jul 29 2022 09:00pm
theres random gas and debris all over space
space is just a blank void and everything is constantly moving in it
the universe isn't expanding but matter is if that makes sense
we have the periodic table of elements,thats probably only a fraction of elements that exist in this universe
the universe is limitless and tons of it is empty blank and nothing
absolute nothing=no atoms
on earth the air has atoms,but in space its a vacuum so all the gas gets pulled to the planets and other gravity sources leaving literally nothing
Gold: 44.69
Jul 29 2022 09:08pm
Quote (Snyft2 @ 29 Jul 2022 23:00)
hmmm

well although i dont know the answers to your question, and i kinda think no one does, i do know why it looks so weird to us to imagine lack of space or time, or as you said, fucks with our minds :wacko: we are used to stuff being at least somewhat intuitive as most of the laws of nature we evolved under, are visible to us. for example i didnt need newton to tell me that an apple will fall to the ground, i knew that. i might not have had the exact formula for it, but i understood it well intuitively. but once relativity and quantum mechanics came, we couldnt understand shit intuitively anymore, as we didnt have any experience with things that were big/fast/small enough to qualify. i know that relativity states that if i go at the speed of light, time stops for me. i know from quantum mechanics that that entangled particles can send information back in time. nothing of it makes any intuitive sense at all :cry: so i assume a lot of things are possible that dont make sense as we dont have experience with it :wacko:

as for the space question, im not really sure what to think :unsure: big bang may have started both space and time. oor the big bang was just one in an infinite space (inflation theory). actually i remember roger penrose talking about it in some jordan peterson podcast. i dislike jordan peterson so i had trouble following it, but i think penrose said how we could detect gravitational waves from before the big bang (other universes i assume), which would i guess mean big bang just happened in space and didnt make it, but im too lazy and sleepy to even try to understand that fucking autist penrose at this time :cry: also every time i heard anything about gravitational waves, it turned out to be a nothingburger :zzz:

my general approach is, if something is counterintuitive, im not even gonna bother with trying to understand it. and that goes for relativity and quantum mechanics as well as more mundane things such as fiat economy and girls with daddy issues :mellow:

i think time is something we use to measure something that dosn't really exist,but does at the same time
it never started
it will never end
its not something tangible in any way shape or form
Gold: 0.00
Jul 30 2022 12:32pm
space is not nothing
Gold: 0.00
Jul 31 2022 07:54am
The big bang is a Jewish sexual innuendo

It's a theory presented as fact. Which it's not.
Gold: 2,955.95
Warn: 10%
Oct 18 2022 02:46am
lets mess with the mind some more. :)
I am typing this from memory so some stuff might be inaccurate
even though i find it fascinating I have never took a deep dive into it.
my research tells me science hasnt the foggiest idea what the construct is. hence "simulation hypothesis". which was a result from the light slit experiment. this could mean the construct (universe/ material) doesnt really exist and is all just a result of stimuli. in simplest terms look up "brain in a vat hypothesis"

we are not as in the know as many people want to believe. the construct is still a total mystery

also
space is not nothing, but after that my memory fails me
o? space is weird, things pop in and out of space, at a very micro level
or it could just be stimuli that makes people think they see things popping in and out :)

*edit
so? well? it looks like it fks with everyones mind and not just yours :)
perhaps your a spiritual being having a material experience?
perhaps you cant take it with you because it doest really exist?

This post was edited by TiStuff on Oct 18 2022 02:51am
Gold: 2.66
Oct 27 2022 03:02pm
It’s like a web.

The spiders aren’t wrong.
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll