d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Pets > Cat Is Showing Signs Of Aggression
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.70
Jul 23 2022 07:25pm
I picked him up from a friend when he was around month 1/2 old (he grew up with no other pets and was an inside cat)
6 Months into having him, He wanted to go outside and would vocalize this every single chance he got, Sneaking outside/Meowing at windows/Meowing at screendoors etc
It got to the point where i ended up letting him outside twice and the last time he came back with surfaces scratches all over him with small amounts of blood, Gave him a bath and adressed all the scratches and cleaned them.
Now hes around 10 months, within the last month he got all his shots + neutered (He started spraying in the house is the reason for the neutering)
But now hes being very aggressive about going outside and is very territorial.
(My brothers friend brought her dog over and the dog lunged at him threw a screen window because the cat hissed at him, Later that day they let the dog come in and the cat attacked the dog and ended up leaving scratches and bites that got infected on his lower back)

I believe he may be getting overstimulated from being outside only because i try to let him in the backyard on the weekends the past 2-3 weeks just to eat grass/walk around and sniff things.
But after he sneaks out from people opening the door around the 3-4 try i pick him he gets overly aggressive, Hisses and even bites/slaps me in the face to be put down.
If i get him inside he sits at the screen door meowing and if i close the main door he gets even more aggressive and uses his claws/teeth to try to attack my legs/hands and if i bend down even my face.

I've been using the spray bottle recently to try to get him away from this aggressive behavior.

Any insight on what im doing wrong would be helpful.

He follows me everywhere i go in the house and even tries following me around outside when i let him out sometimes.
Sleeps with me at night / Sleeps by my set up when im gaming

Ozzy the Demon

This post was edited by xPailess on Jul 23 2022 07:26pm
Gold: 6.82
Warn: 60%
Jul 24 2022 02:59am
honestly no young cat is an "indoor cat" maybe when they get old fat and lazy like my cat skeletor
cant you get him a cat door? cats will naturally scrap to establish territory but neutered males will have a much smaller radius of territory
maybe he can see other cats trespassing on his property from inside and is not happy about it?
and yeah i dont think any cat likes being picked up lol
Jul 25 2022 12:03am
Quote (B00MAN @ Jul 24 2022 04:59am)
honestly no young cat is an "indoor cat" maybe when they get old fat and lazy like my cat skeletor
cant you get him a cat door? cats will naturally scrap to establish territory but neutered males will have a much smaller radius of territory
maybe he can see other cats trespassing on his property from inside and is not happy about it?
and yeah i dont think any cat likes being picked up lol

My cat is honestly fine with being picked up but only when hes outside and only after Playing with him with my hands or feet/picked up a couple times he shows aggression.
I think he knows im picking him up to bring him back inside.

He meows/hisses at other cats threw our windows atleast twice a week from what i see.

This post was edited by xPailess on Jul 25 2022 12:04am
Gold: 6.82
Warn: 60%
Jul 25 2022 12:33am
Quote (xPailess @ Jul 25 2022 06:03pm)
My cat is honestly fine with being picked up but only when hes outside and only after Playing with him with my hands or feet/picked up a couple times he shows aggression.
I think he knows im picking him up to bring him back inside.

He meows/hisses at other cats threw our windows atleast twice a week from what i see.

sounds like the little guy just wants to hunt and protect his territory?
even a neutered male still has instincts and its probably not the best idea to play with him, put him into KILL mode and then pick him up after lol
Jul 25 2022 12:45am
Quote (B00MAN @ Jul 25 2022 02:33am)
sounds like the little guy just wants to hunt and protect his territory?
even a neutered male still has instincts and its probably not the best idea to play with him, put him into KILL mode and then pick him up after lol

Probably not, But when he goes outside and comes in he is overly aggressive aswell.
Gold: 18,951.95
Aug 26 2022 02:40pm
Sounds like very normal behavior for a kitten that came from a stray or has some feral cat in him. Not all cats are friendly and cuddly all the time.

It's best to handle kittens from a young age to help them develop socially and to remove that aggressive/feral type behavior. You should also be trimming his claws on a regular basis so the behavior is less threatening to you. 10 months is pretty late to start but better late than never.

Decide early if you want him to be an indoor or outdoor cat and stick firmly to whichever you decide. Letting the cat out occasionally leads to the type of behavior you're seeing like trying to sneak out and "escape". I found it was helpful to put a harness on the cat and let him out in the backyard to familiarize himself with his immediate surroundings before letting him free in the neighborhood.

Letting other animals into your home is not a good practice. Cats are very territorial and the aggressive behavior when another animal enters his space is instinctual.

TL;DR start trimming his claws, try and handle/play with him more frequently, decide if you want him to be an indoor or outdoor cat and stick to one.
Gold: 420.69
Oct 5 2022 09:37am
Cats fights it's what they do, I've had cats die in fights with other cats they're straight up ruthless. I do my part in making sure my neighbors cats stay the fuck away from our area and it seems to work out alright. Lots of coyotes and bobcats around my house too so they're only allowed outside during the day and the first hour for dusk for the good hunting
Gold: 44.69
Oct 9 2022 11:25am
It got to the point where i ended up letting him outside twice and the last time he came back with surfaces scratches all over him with small amounts of blood, Gave him a bath and adressed all the scratches and cleaned them.

if the cat hadn't been vaccinated for rabies there is the chance you cat could have contracted it.the immunization wouldnt work after the fact and unless you asked the vet to check they wouldn't have,i doubt it but i would still have a checkup done for rabies test

Now hes around 10 months, within the last month he got all his shots + neutered (He started spraying in the house is the reason for the neutering)
But now hes being very aggressive about going outside and is very territorial.

even after neutering the hormones are still produced and their for a few months. you let the cat out once.the more you do it the more they will feel entitled to do so.so you need to either allow it or stop it NOW,but it sounds like your cat has already established territory outside so keeping the cat out of its territory is going to be difficult

(My brothers friend brought her dog over and the dog lunged at him threw a screen window because the cat hissed at him, Later that day they let the dog come in and the cat attacked the dog and ended up leaving scratches and bites that got infected on his lower back)

this is the worst thing you could have done for your cat,the cat made it very clear "I DO NOT WANT THAT DOG IN MY HOUSE"(when you have a cat its there house not yours in their mind) yet you let it invade the cats territory and now the cat doesn't feel safe in its own home
DOGS STINK,AND CATS GO BY SMELL,so when that dog came in,its smell got spread all over the house and probably drives your cat insane
the cat wants to relocate because it dosnt feel safe and thats why it wants to go outside

I've been using the spray bottle recently to try to get him away from this aggressive behavior.

this is stupid and will cause your cat to be more aggressive /want to go outside away from you more

Any insight on what im doing wrong would be helpful.

please if you have any more cat questions feel free to pm me

TLDR: the cat doesn't feel safe in the house, thats why its aggressive and prefers outside

Gold: 0.00
Oct 12 2022 02:19am
I fkn love cats wooo!
Go Back To Pets Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll