d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Ok So Im Looking To Getting Into It Plz Help
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 33.44
Jul 11 2022 04:53pm
Ok so im looking to start getting into the IT space, i am currently a supervisor at Terminix and dont want to be doing this forever , im 30 and want to get a jump start on this.

couple questions

should i start with Comptia and then go from there?? i dont know which way i want to go im thinking cloud but i need to learn the basics and rather learn more than i need to know than to just focus on 1 thing, im looking to get some tips and answers on which way i should go about this whether go to a university or just do labs and get e books and get ready for the exams that way.. anybody who can help i would be greatly appreciated. thank you for your time..

Thanks
Gold: 2,858.20
Jul 11 2022 06:11pm
Hey Jay,

I highly encourage going this route as the work life balance is unbeatable and making the switch has been a life changer for me.

Okay so first of all, no college is needed, you have to find out what you want to do in the space, such as

Cloud architecture, cloud developer, system operations
Cyber security
Software engineering
Network engineering
System admin

Next you want to get your knowledge into that space, so if cloud, let’s say Amazon cloud (AWS), look for a roadmap, so AWS has associate level certs, get all 3 of those first, then get the professional ones, then get 1-2 speciality. From there build a few cool projects on AWS to showcase to employers and you make yourself a strong candidate.

Comptia has the basics, the A+ the network+ and sec+

It’s brutal and boring but if you want to get all 3 to build the foundation then do so. And then pick a route you want to go. This is what I recommend. Professor messer has a YouTube course that goes through each course in depth.

If you want to do software engineering, which is computer programming, like web development, app development then there’s tons of full stack courses in udemy for $10 that’ll set you up. If you need recommendations then lmk.

Coursera is great, I’ve helped developed a few of the programs we have on there and we’re releasing quite a bit more by the end of the year. I recommend checking out Coursera along with udemy.

You can do it man, I went from cop to Google Engineer in 3-4 months, just got to dial it in and truly understand the concepts, not just memorize it. You want to be able to fully explain the design of the specialty you choose when being interviewed, you want to show projects to prove you know the work and show that you’ve put in the time and initiative.
Jul 11 2022 06:15pm
ur mailbox is full im tryna send u a message broski let me in lol
Banned
Gold: 1,338.00
Warn: 40%
Jul 24 2022 05:14pm
cyber security is a great choice
Gold: 796.00
Jul 24 2022 09:26pm
Quote (Krawk @ Jul 11 2022 08:11pm)
Hey Jay,

I highly encourage going this route as the work life balance is unbeatable and making the switch has been a life changer for me.

Okay so first of all, no college is needed, you have to find out what you want to do in the space, such as

Cloud architecture, cloud developer, system operations
Cyber security
Software engineering
Network engineering
System admin

Next you want to get your knowledge into that space, so if cloud, let’s say Amazon cloud (AWS), look for a roadmap, so AWS has associate level certs, get all 3 of those first, then get the professional ones, then get 1-2 speciality. From there build a few cool projects on AWS to showcase to employers and you make yourself a strong candidate.

Comptia has the basics, the A+ the network+ and sec+

It’s brutal and boring but if you want to get all 3 to build the foundation then do so. And then pick a route you want to go. This is what I recommend. Professor messer has a YouTube course that goes through each course in depth.

If you want to do software engineering, which is computer programming, like web development, app development then there’s tons of full stack courses in udemy for $10 that’ll set you up. If you need recommendations then lmk.

Coursera is great, I’ve helped developed a few of the programs we have on there and we’re releasing quite a bit more by the end of the year. I recommend checking out Coursera along with udemy.

You can do it man, I went from cop to Google Engineer in 3-4 months, just got to dial it in and truly understand the concepts, not just memorize it. You want to be able to fully explain the design of the specialty you choose when being interviewed, you want to show projects to prove you know the work and show that you’ve put in the time and initiative.

:thumbsup: being able to pass the COMPTIA certs will introduce you to things/fill gaps you may have. Amazon's certs are definitely good to get, looks great on resumes but when you can actually speak to that knowledge in an interview is when it can seal the deal. depending on where you're starting off knowledge-wise you may find AWS knowledge to be irrelevant right now, you do want to generally feel like you're comfortable troubleshooting a desktop/VM if you're going to try and work up from the bottom of IT (at least with the assumptions i'm making). there are ways into the field where you don't have the general "wrench monkey" knowledge but know what buttons to click in AWS or Azure or some in-house application that you just need to learn to update. generally speaking I think it's a more stable route to just work up from the helpdesk/IT dept instead of relying on someone looking for a super junior in a SysOps role, but if you are dedicated this can work. jumping right into something like that or even a dev-side role will require you to be good at demonstrating your willingness to tackle learning new concepts. the right set of circumstances can have you land you a job over a more qualified candidate if you seem like a better fit, but every interview is different. some need someone to take off running, others see the benefit in having a 6 month start-up period if they can underpay you and keep you for a few years and just want to keep a junior always cooking. there is that person out there that interviews well, took a Udemy course on Ansible and has a Jr. devops job that basically acts like a paid internship, but this is the outlier. the great thing about this field is that no matter where you're starting from, it is the kind of thing that if you just commit to setting time aside to study/learn some more stuff consistently you can get to the goal.

I think anyone that could pass COMPTIA A+ and get 20% of the questions right on the Network+, is generally personable in an interview, knows how to open event viewer, look at it and google "why is XXXXXX.dll failing when I open/do XXXXXXX", and willing to take lower pay, can land a support/associate level role without much prior IT experience if you shop around for a company looking for it. IMO the goal should be to find a job where you are delegated the role of swapping hardware, being the person that does the hard reboots at 5:30 when everyone else went home, AD password resets... making user accounts.. etc from there you should hopefully have opportunities to learn on the job, from maybe work-sponsored courses or just asking to be involved in fixes/projects higher-ups in the dept are doing when you have downtime.

This post was edited by purplex on Jul 24 2022 09:43pm
Jul 25 2022 12:26pm
Quote (hotfix @ Jul 24 2022 04:14pm)
cyber security is a great choice

It is - I’m currently an SE but it’s not an entry position, you will have to know your stuff + show tons of projects to get hired with 0 experience.

I don’t recommend starting off at security, get your foot in the door as recommended and work your way into security.
Jul 25 2022 04:37pm
I don’t want to do cyber security as I made bad choices when I was 18 and probably wouldn’t get the clearance needed to work in that field I’m thinking more of cloud or something . What should I start with ?? Is there a place when I can start for ground zero and work my
Way up I have a black rock college fund with like 18k in it that I was looking to use or if it’s just something that I can do free labs or introduction things to get me going learning because I gotta start somewhere I can pay for the exams and stuff I just need to learn and start somewhere
Gold: 796.00
Jul 25 2022 05:05pm
go for an A+, there is free content out there. professor messer is a good pick, look him up on youtube/his site. if you want to change jobs now there's often (at least in my area) small contract jobs/junior IT roles where they just ask that you are able to lift and learn. doing something like that to show experience, along with a cert will go a long way in landing something more stable to grow in.

This post was edited by purplex on Jul 25 2022 05:07pm
Jul 27 2022 02:42pm
what’s the best thing to do for my first study guide type thing , like how can learn from scratch . What programs are there out there I’m looking to do 2 hours a day of studying but have no idea where to go .
Jul 27 2022 04:38pm
Quote (JAYPiN @ Jul 27 2022 04:42pm)
^krawk what’s the best thing to do for my first study guide type thing , like how can learn from scratch . What programs are there out there I’m looking to do 2 hours a day of studying but have no idea where to go .

This video course first - https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG49S3nxzAnnOmvg5UGVenB_qQgsh01uC

This video course second - https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG49S3nxzAnna96gzhJrzkii4hH_mgW4b

Do a practice test -> take the Comptia A+ cert

Once passed, take this video course - https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG49S3nxzAnlCJiCrOYuRYb6cne864a7G

Do a practice test -> take the network + exam

Professor messer already has notes so buy his hard copy notes book they’re cheap or use the free online source.

Once you get the two certs, I can put you on a cloud path, or whichever other path you want but you need to do _A+ and network+ first, basics and foundations are very important.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll