d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Frame Time Spikes
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 20,950.54
Jun 22 2022 03:58am
internet can have an affect on frame time spikes in games but do you get the issue in purely single player games?

One thing to know for sure is put steam in offline mode disable your internet and see if you get spikes. If you don't then its your ISP as that hop has really high ms which will cause lag.
Gold: 275.00
Jun 27 2022 11:12am
Quote (Yurihyuga @ Jun 22 2022 05:58am)
internet can have an affect on frame time spikes in games but do you get the issue in purely single player games?

One thing to know for sure is put steam in offline mode disable your internet and see if you get spikes. If you don't then its your ISP as that hop has really high ms which will cause lag.

Hm, everything I have read online makes it seem like frametime spikes can't be caused by internet but who knows. Other people in my local area have issues with games from the EPIC games store. I don't notice spikes in offline games such as Elden Rings / Minecraft... Should do a bit more testing to verify if it's just online games though. I know I got virtually no frametime spikes in Elden Rings but it was locked to 60FPS, could that be why? I lock my FPS in other games too, just not as low as 60FPS.

I also can't realistically switch ISP's since Spectrum pretty much has a monopoly over my area. If this is the true cause of the issue I guess it's something I will just have to deal with until I ultimately move out of my current place :bonk:

This post was edited by klo1822 on Jun 27 2022 11:30am
Gold: 796.00
Jun 29 2022 06:28pm
there seems to be a lot of discussion around the internet thing.. klo, does this happen on any single player games? does this happen when running a game benchmark like one of the unigine products?
if it doesn't then you've pinpointed the issue, if it does than I don't know why there is so much discussion about it.

when weird things happen it could be something like ESD damage during the build process.

you can try one stick of RAM in a different DIMM, switching them out to test both. you could run a memtest. move GPU to another slot, same for any drives. do you have another drive in there? check for firmware updates on SSD.. reset BIOS to defaults (I guess you've done this/checked things).

reinstall windows after that IMO and try again even though you've done that kind of thing.. have you tried letting windows install all your drivers including the GPU? if it's still happening grab the latest drivers from the net and test it again I guess, which you've basically done.

This post was edited by purplex on Jun 29 2022 06:33pm
Jun 29 2022 11:05pm
Quote (purplex @ Jun 29 2022 08:28pm)
there seems to be a lot of discussion around the internet thing.. klo, does this happen on any single player games? does this happen when running a game benchmark like one of the unigine products?
if it doesn't then you've pinpointed the issue, if it does than I don't know why there is so much discussion about it.

when weird things happen it could be something like ESD damage during the build process.

you can try one stick of RAM in a different DIMM, switching them out to test both. you could run a memtest. move GPU to another slot, same for any drives. do you have another drive in there? check for firmware updates on SSD.. reset BIOS to defaults (I guess you've done this/checked things).

reinstall windows after that IMO and try again even though you've done that kind of thing.. have you tried letting windows install all your drivers including the GPU? if it's still happening grab the latest drivers from the net and test it again I guess, which you've basically done.

Thanks for your reply! This stutter doesn't seem to happen when playing single player games (only really tried it in elden ring) but there were no frame time spikes at all. There are no issues running benchmarks such as 3dmark/unigine heaven.
I thought originally it could have been hardware related but I've swapped almost every part at this point and it's still there. I've reset bios multiple times to different versions and still the issue still persists. All things you have mentioned I have already tried and unfortunately don't work.

I have even tried a new computer (prebuilt from bestbuy) and the issue is there. That makes me assume that the issue is either my monitor, ethernet cable, or my internet. I've tried a different monitor and the issue is there, tried on wifi/wired and still there so the only thing I can think is that it's my internet.... but my ISP tells me im crazy when I tell them the issue is them, and other people on dif forms say internet can't cause frametime issues. So I'm not sure...
Gold: 84.10
Jun 30 2022 06:04am
what mouse are you using?
if it has software try change the polling on the mouse
if its 1000 change to 500 or vice versa
Jun 30 2022 06:40am
Quote (klo1822 @ Jun 30 2022 12:05am)
Thanks for your reply! This stutter doesn't seem to happen when playing single player games (only really tried it in elden ring) but there were no frame time spikes at all. There are no issues running benchmarks such as 3dmark/unigine heaven.
I thought originally it could have been hardware related but I've swapped almost every part at this point and it's still there. I've reset bios multiple times to different versions and still the issue still persists. All things you have mentioned I have already tried and unfortunately don't work.

I have even tried a new computer (prebuilt from bestbuy) and the issue is there. That makes me assume that the issue is either my monitor, ethernet cable, or my internet. I've tried a different monitor and the issue is there, tried on wifi/wired and still there so the only thing I can think is that it's my internet.... but my ISP tells me im crazy when I tell them the issue is them, and other people on dif forms say internet can't cause frametime issues. So I'm not sure...

if same thing happening on another computer it might not be pc at all

you can request new modem from spectrum at no charge have done it many times myself
Jun 30 2022 10:34am
Quote (yupitsmeh @ Jun 30 2022 08:04am)
what mouse are you using?
if it has software try change the polling on the mouse
if its 1000 change to 500 or vice versa

I have tried different mice with different softwares and polling rates. Unfortunately they all seem to have the same stutter.

I bought my own modem to try and see if it was the spectrum modems causing the issue. Unfortunately it didn't matter what modem I use, the stutter is still there (if it's even caused by internet). This happens when ethernet directly from modem -> pc or modem -> router -> pc.

Another thing I tried was using a different router and something strange happened. Usually when running a traceroute to google, my traffic would go from my house -> troy -> albany -> NYC. When I tried any other router than the one I have it changes my traffic to house -> troy -> chicago. I didn't think that it was even possible to change network traffic unless it's on the ISP side....

This post was edited by klo1822 on Jun 30 2022 10:35am
Jun 30 2022 02:34pm
have you tried oc bios switch for higher tdp

or manually downclocked little bit?

also if you or windows installed chipset drivers there are versions that need to be uninstalled before new version is installed, meaning cant just so install over them
Jun 30 2022 02:43pm
Quote (yupitsmeh @ Jun 30 2022 04:34pm)
have you tried oc bios switch for higher tdp

or manually downclocked little bit?

also if you or windows installed chipset drivers there are versions that need to be uninstalled before new version is installed, meaning cant just so install over them

I have not touched the bios on the GPU, I figured trying a different GPU out would eliminate that as a suspect? I could be totally wrong though.
I have underclocked both the GPU/CPU and that didn't solve the issue.

I downloaded the most recent chipset drivers. I installed them fresh from a new windows install while being disconnected from the internet. Would this still leave some old chipset drivers that I would have to uninstall? I believe I have manually uninstalled the old chipset drivers and installed the new ones previously.
Gold: 20,950.54
Jul 29 2022 10:22am
Quote (klo1822 @ Jun 30 2022 06:05am)

internet can definitely cause frametime issues and you need a new ISP as obviously there is something wrong there, you are likely experiencing packet loss during the spikes. If it was hardware related you will have come across the issue in benchmarks/single player games and you have said you do not have issues playing a single player game and using benchmarking software.

One thing you can do is run a tracert to a game server you experience the spikes on - if you do not know game server IP let me know the game and what server you play on and ill try help you with this.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll