d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Please Help Me Build A Desktop Gaming Pc
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jun 2 2022 04:11pm
Quote (Mardigan89 @ Jun 2 2022 03:54pm)
This is true & not an "entry/beginners" build. Friend helping w/ build would want some PC building experience. Looking at today's price points, you could build this in 12th Gen i7 12700F/B660 MOBO for about an extra $70-$110 (600 Chipset ITX Boards come at a premium typically and stock can be an issue sometimes) Other components could remain the same without issue. Pricing/Deals are always fluctuating.

12th GEN runs rather hot, 11th GEN with the improved IPC performance from 10th GEN and running cooler seemed like a "sweet spot" for SFF ~ albeit I agree that SFF is a tall order for a 1st build (this was my reasoning for this style of a build). I know personally when I see someone's very clean, minimalistic SFF build ~ I envy them and want it haha.

MATX/ATX Mid Tower could def be the right option (and probably a better suit for OP) something like a Lian Mesh II or 4000D Airflow. Very easy to build in and would give a 3080 card lots of room to breathe as well for performance yield

Building is fun :thumbsup:

1440P with a 3070Ti/3080 and proper CPU is very nice gaming!

Thanks for the info! Im not against SFF but I think I’d prefer something on the easier side to build - I’d like to be able to maintain it and upgrade it myself if possible - I’m a total hardware noob. And if bigger means running cooler that’s always a plus

Quote (urethrafranklin @ Jun 2 2022 04:40pm)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r7NBv3

Windows cheaper somewhere else

Looks like a monster pc.

Pretty solid build I think?
Gold: 796.00
Jun 2 2022 04:46pm
you'll want a 1000w PSU for those specs. people don't bother replacing the paste on an AIO generally. you can get better paste, but not always by much. not all pastes last the same amount of time either. if you don't apply it perfectly it's also certainly going to be worse.some even let you brush your teeth -- I would get a samsung 980 pro instead of the 970, but it's fine as a purposeful cost-saver. you would see the benefit of having other things in a game at 1440p more than the impact of the faster SSD. the gigabyte card wouldnt be my first pick. if i'm getting blind RAM i'll take corsair or crucial over gskill, but sometimes gskill is the move. something something samsung b-die. i would get a different cooler. generally speaking outside of specific build constraints or just wanting it, I wouldn't ever go AIO cooling under 280mm, really 360 though personally. otherwise get a noctua dh15 or u14s. a 12900k is a time when a big AIO can see benefits enough to be worth it, but it's not needed.

This post was edited by purplex on Jun 2 2022 05:04pm
Warn: 20%
Jun 2 2022 07:51pm
Quote (purplex @ Jun 2 2022 04:46pm)
you'll want a 1000w PSU for those specs. people don't bother replacing the paste on an AIO generally. you can get better paste, but not always by much. not all pastes last the same amount of time either. if you don't apply it perfectly it's also certainly going to be worse.some even let you brush your teeth -- I would get a samsung 980 pro instead of the 970, but it's fine as a purposeful cost-saver. you would see the benefit of having other things in a game at 1440p more than the impact of the faster SSD. the gigabyte card wouldnt be my first pick. if i'm getting blind RAM i'll take corsair or crucial over gskill, but sometimes gskill is the move. something something samsung b-die. i would get a different cooler. generally speaking outside of specific build constraints or just wanting it, I wouldn't ever go AIO cooling under 280mm, really 360 though personally. otherwise get a noctua dh15 or u14s. a 12900k is a time when a big AIO can see benefits enough to be worth it, but it's not needed.

1000w psu for sure, the 980 is a good move for the PCIE 4.0, 100% agree on the cooler. If you were to go with an NZXT Kraken cooler, I'd recommend the Z63/Z73 and you can create custom gifs within the aio head (pretty cool feature) although an extra $100-$200.. and probably the Z73 (i9 12900K although the best gaming chip currently on the market, it's also hot hot hot) It's hard to compete with the Noctua NH-D15 for price/performance ratio and nice aesthetics though.. and you'd want higher ram mhz if you're going i9 and you'd want to fill all 4 dimms also, IMO

For your wants/needs, I think the i9 is overkill. If anything spend that money on a better GPU and go i7 K series, keep the Z board and overclock it. But I doubt you'd need to.

** I own a 4000D Airflow Case and it's hefty, very nice though.
Gold: 481.60
Jun 2 2022 08:15pm
Ok

Thx for input guys

How’s this.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XpN2k9

I was unsure about the cooler, I have a noctua in mine rn but I figured with i9 temps you might want liquid cooling.
Went with the i7 instead.

Gonna put together an i9 3080ti build too give homie some options.

This post was edited by urethrafranklin on Jun 2 2022 08:27pm
Jun 2 2022 08:27pm
Quote (purplex @ Jun 2 2022 05:46pm)

Quote (Mardigan89 @ Jun 2 2022 08:51pm)
1000w psu for sure, the 980 is a good move for the PCIE 4.0, 100% agree on the cooler. If you were to go with an NZXT Kraken cooler, I'd recommend the Z63/Z73 and you can create custom gifs within the aio head (pretty cool feature) although an extra $100-$200.. and probably the Z73 (i9 12900K although the best gaming chip currently on the market, it's also hot hot hot) It's hard to compete with the Noctua NH-D15 for price/performance ratio and nice aesthetics though.. and you'd want higher ram mhz if you're going i9 and you'd want to fill all 4 dimms also, IMO

For your wants/needs, I think the i9 is overkill. If anything spend that money on a better GPU and go i7 K series, keep the Z board and overclock it. But I doubt you'd need to.

** I own a 4000D Airflow Case and it's hefty, very nice though.

Extremely helpful information from both you. Much appreciated.

Quote (urethrafranklin @ Jun 2 2022 09:15pm)
Ok

Thx for input guys

How’s this.

I was unsure about the cooler, I have a noctua in mine rn but I figured with i9 temps you might want liquid cooling.

What do you guys think of this one?

We’re basically trying to create a build based on the suggestions and input from this thread and people I’ve talked with via pm. Appreciate any input anyone can add. Thanks all! Will send out a bunch of fg when I order the parts soon
Gold: 796.00
Jun 2 2022 08:53pm
I should have looked into the specific G.Skill kit you had before, the DDR4-3200 CL16 kit at 110 is good for this board. the same kit at 3600 goes for 150 but it won't be missed. the crucial and corsair are a bit more expensive and not necessary, the kit you replaced is CL18 so I'd go back to the old kit. you could even be crazy and get two for no reason. the gigabyte's price compared to others right now is much lower so that's the best for that card right now, and it's not a big deal anyway.. I just feel like they're the most coil-whiney of the brands. i would buy it right now at the current price as well. it seems like OP could be happy with less of a GPU, and will also be able to enjoy this one. so if the budget works why not :)

2TB ssd is good since the budget allows, and that PSU is good.

if you need cheap case fans get a 5 pack: https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-ACFAN00137A-Value-Pack-Pressure-Optimized/dp/B07HC782D5?th=1 -- theyre considered the best for the price. if you want to overspend get phanteks t30s.

enjoy :thumbsup:
Gold: 10,655.00
Jun 2 2022 09:34pm
Budget, budget... we don't need no stinking budget!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NZCg3y

Or, if you want to overclock...

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mJWyFg

With bigger PSU...

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qgjbpH

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3pkzv3

This post was edited by Ghot on Jun 2 2022 09:43pm
Jun 2 2022 09:49pm
Quote (urethrafranklin @ Jun 2 2022 08:15pm)
Ok

Thx for input guys

How’s this.

Gonna put together an i9 3080ti build too give homie some options.

nice! I think someone in diff thread was having clearance issues with vengeance ram and the NH-D15 cooler (May want to check specs, but think you can move fan to pull instead of push to fix or get low profile ram) and like said about the gigabyte card, maybe spend $150 more for an EVGA FTW3 or something of the likes and can get windows license cheap to cut a quick cost

but i like this :thumbsup:
Gold: 10,655.00
Jun 2 2022 09:53pm
Quote (Mardigan89 @ Jun 2 2022 11:49pm)
nice! I think someone in diff thread was having clearance issues with vengeance ram and the NH-D15 cooler (May want to check specs, but think you can move fan to pull instead of push to fix or get low profile ram) and like ^purplex said about the gigabyte card, maybe spend $150 more for an EVGA FTW3 or something of the likes and can get windows license cheap to cut a quick cost

but i like this :thumbsup:

Yep. The spring clips on the fans allow you to slide the fan up enough to clear the RAM.
You can also put the front most fan on the rear as a pull fan instead.

As for Windows 11... if you have any key from Win 7 and up... you can get Win 11... free.

This post was edited by Ghot on Jun 2 2022 09:56pm
Jun 2 2022 09:57pm
Quote (Ghot @ Jun 2 2022 09:34pm)
Budget, budget... we don't need no stinking budget!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3pkzv3

Gotta get your wallet out, but this one is very nice

w/ the DDR5 too.. just gotta 'stretch' the budget :lol:
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll