d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Should This Laptop Be Able To Run D2r?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
May 29 2022 11:34am
Hi all,

as per topic ive recently bought this laptop (not for gaming but i thought seeing as its above the minimum requirements, i would try D2R again for the nostalgia!)

Link - https://www.currys.co.uk/products/huawei-matebook-d-15.6-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10236259.html

Spec:

HUAWEI MateBook D 15.6" Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5, 512 GB SSD

Windows 11
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with Radeon Graphics 2.10 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.34 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

The game is virtually unplayable due to crashing issues and im not sure whether its because the machine just isnt up to it, or whether there is anything i can do to improve.

Things ive tried from googling about d2 crashing etc -

All settings run on the lowest
upgraded to latest AMD driver.
Disabled windows 11 game mode (read online this can cause issues with some games)
increase swap file size
run game as administrator
made exceptions for d2 in firewall settings
capped framerate at 60 fps

It started off crashing very frequently whenever i used a TP/WP or changed acts. Then sometimes just during normal gameplay. These symptoms seemed to get better after doing some of the things mentioned above, but i still get the occasional crash (probably 2-3 times per 2 hour session).

Then i made it to the Ancients quest and the game crashed every single time i pressed the podium to start the battle. After reading online i managed to get past this by putting the game into Legacy mode to start the encounter and then return to the new mode once the fight had finished.

I feel like ive tried everything suggested on google etc so if anyone has any pointers or even just some advice as to whether the machine should be able to play the game i would greatly appreciate it!

thanks!
Gold: 126,873.00
May 29 2022 06:02pm
Your laptop doesn't have a graphics card, it uses integrated gpu . D2R is very graphic card oriented.

The only thing I can think of it to check the BIOS and see if you can allocate more ram to your integrated gpu. This game usually takes 3 GB VRAM to run per instance. The crashes usually comes when the game requires more than your usable VRAM. The longer you play the more there is memory loss.
May 30 2022 12:40pm
You can visit Computer Settings > Personalization > Themes , Browse Thems ( get more thems from microsoft store ) You can find one that is Similar to windows 95/98 .
Your computer taskbar/menu/web-browser ect will look terribly out-dated, but at least you will be able to play the game. ( you can change the themes anytime you want ) So its only Temporary.
May 31 2022 06:02am
Short answer, no. Low wattage cpu aimed towards battery life and no gpu.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll