d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Looking To Buy A Pc Late Summ - Iso Info On Build
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2.44
May 25 2022 10:21pm
Hello, I'm looking to work extra hours this summer to drop down on a new tower. I've been using my old pc for about 8 years now and need upgrade. I will want something that will keep going for years to come and will focus on VR gaming, desktop gaming, and occasional video rendering.

Needs
1TB SSD
32GB ram
Windows(I own windows on current pc, I can use for both with same code I think, no? )
Blue color scheme

Price cap - 3.5K
No need monitor/mouse/keys/speakers

Questions that I have:

-Is it still worth to buy a pre built pc over building yourself? I would much prefer to build myself but I understand how things are with the bitcoin miners. But if possible I'd prefer to build myself.

-Should I use watercooler?

-Should I overclock for any reason?

I'm not very smart when it comes to how to properly build a pc from ground up, so I come to spend asking for help. :)
Any advice will be appreciated highly.

I hope to purchase in a couple of months, so if I'm too early to post I'll bump next month. Thanks :)

This post was edited by FYB on May 25 2022 10:22pm
Gold: 421.93
May 26 2022 07:38am
You'll need a new copy of windows (windows registers your parts and will invalidate if you shove your windows drive in a new PC)

Great budget, what resolution are you aiming for?

You mentioned blue, I'm thinking if blue is the aesthetic you're going for, some white parts and RGB lighting set to blue is the easiest way to make that happen

Overclocking isn't as much of a game changer now as it used to be. Lots of options up and down the budget so you generally go with what performance you need. If you're interested in overclocking you go with Ryzen or Intel K series (unlocked)

Water-cooling is easy with AIOs now and looks really clean but not necessary. Air cooling with something like a Noctua NH-D15 will be just as good in most use-cases and just as quiet. I like Noctua because I never need to think about when it might die, if temps get hot just reapply thermal paste and it keeps chugging along

I'd probably recommend Ryzen 7 with a 3080 with the information you've given but you want 32gb of RAM so maybe you're doing something that would benefit from a Ryzen 9? (Video editing or rendering come to mind).

Pre-built vs custom: I think it's a good time to build. Since new cards look to be coming out at the end of the year, GPUs are in stock and often with price cuts bringing them closer to original MSRP. If you have time to hunt deals you could likely save $200-$500 building your own

If you want a build challenge, I started doing SFF builds and it's worth looking into. They can be a giant hassle to put together but the final look is clean and with efficiency where it is, no heat concerns. (This actually contradicts my earlier cooler statement as an SFF build will need Watercooled CPU and won't fit that chunky Noctua cooler)

Tag me if I can help further
Gold: 0.00
May 28 2022 12:29am
Quote (FYB @ 25 May 2022 23:21)
Hello, I'm looking to work extra hours this summer to drop down on a new tower. I've been using my old pc for about 8 years now and need upgrade. I will want something that will keep going for years to come and will focus on VR gaming, desktop gaming, and occasional video rendering.

Needs
1TB SSD
32GB ram
Windows(I own windows on current pc, I can use for both with same code I think, no? )
Blue color scheme

Price cap - 3.5K

Questions that I have:

-Is it still worth to buy a pre built pc over building yourself? I would much prefer to build myself but I understand how things are with the bitcoin miners. But if possible I'd prefer to build myself.

I'm not very smart when it comes to how to properly build a pc from ground up, so I come to spend asking for help. :)

I hope to purchase in a couple of months, so if I'm too early to post I'll bump next month. Thanks :)

Normally I recommend users to shop at newegg and let them build the PC for $100, and they will make sure nothing is dead, and then they will ship it to you.
Otherwise if you prefer to build it yourself to save the 100$, thats even better !

Prebuilts - you have less control over the parts used in the build. They may cheap out on the parts.
Comparing Apples to Apples ( RTX 3080 ) to ( RTX 3080 ) They may use a Zotac or Gigabyte Brand video card, with Low Clock Speeds, and over heat.

While building your own pc ect, you might use Msi, Asus, or even EVGA , which will have higher clock speeds = more performance, and upgraded thermal paste/pads preventing it from heating.
Which allows you to overclock in the future.
Jun 5 2022 10:25am
Hello guys thanks for commenting in my thread, im very greatful and very excited as the day is getting closer to start ordering the parts!
ill try to resolve some of the specifics now that were getting closer to the order date(about 50 days still, but starting early to make sure)

Quote (Resonating_glass @ May 26 2022 07:38am)
You'll need a new copy of windows (windows registers your parts and will invalidate if you shove your windows drive in a new PC)

Great budget, what resolution are you aiming for?

You mentioned blue, I'm thinking if blue is the aesthetic you're going for, some white parts and RGB lighting set to blue is the easiest way to make that happen

Water-cooling is easy with AIOs now and looks really clean but not necessary. Air cooling with something like a Noctua NH-D15 will be just as good in most use-cases and just as quiet. I like Noctua because I never need to think about when it might die, if temps get hot just reapply thermal paste and it keeps chugging along

I'd probably recommend Ryzen 7 with a 3080 with the information you've given but you want 32gb of RAM so maybe you're doing something that would benefit from a Ryzen 9? (Video editing or rendering come to mind).

Pre-built vs custom: I think it's a good time to build. If you want a build challenge, I started doing SFF builds and it's worth looking into.

Tag me if I can help further

Since the new copy of windows is going to be needed i suppose i can purchase this through my windows account and install with flash drive.
The blue is for the esthetics, i was kind of thinking black tower with glass panel to see insides and blue Led for the light show with option to be able to turn off would be nice.
if water cooling is no longer needed to run high performance I'm completely fine with air cooling, ive looked into the Noctua fans for the cpu and they look like they will be able to handle most if not any job.
As for video editing, i do plan on editing drone and family videos.
and no need for complicated build unless the entitlement is worth it, this will be my third build in total and wouldn't want to take on aa job i couldn't handle confidently
EDIT/ just looked up SFF builds, i guess i missed that part. a regular tower would be what im looking for, that small thing seems like it wouldnt look at pleasing on the desk :)

Quote (conetopia @ May 28 2022 12:29am)
Normally I recommend users to shop at newegg and let them build the PC for $100, and they will make sure nothing is dead, and then they will ship it to you.
Otherwise if you prefer to build it yourself to save the 100$, thats even better !

Prebuilts - you have less control over the parts used in the build. They may cheap out on the parts.
Comparing Apples to Apples ( RTX 3080 ) to ( RTX 3080 ) They may use a Zotac or Gigabyte Brand video card, with Low Clock Speeds, and over heat.

While building your own pc ect, you might use Msi, Asus, or even EVGA , which will have higher clock speeds = more performance, and upgraded thermal paste/pads preventing it from heating.
Which allows you to overclock in the future.

Ive checked out the newegg build to buy option but once i click things like motherboards and just sooo many different types and numbers of the same thing, is just why i wouldn't personally be able to put together the list without someone able to teach me the differences.
and even to have someone build it for me would really take away the majority of the experience, though i do like having this knowledge in case something pops up in the future.

So know i know a few things all UPDATED

Budget: 3.5 - 4.5k

More specific use (what games, what programs): VR airlink games, Skyrim VR mods, Diablo 2 RES are my main, but i want to compensate for as much as i can with the VR being my main focus

Planned time until purchase: About 1.5 months

Do you need an Operating System?: i will purchase windows through my account

Do you have any specific preferred components?: The ones that will keep on going

Do you need a sound or wireless card?: Idk it says online it turns sound into different sound... like wtf...? this is why i need your help internet!

Do you want stock cooling or do you plan on overclocking?: air if it will work quietly and efficiently

Do you need a monitor? mouse? keyboard?: So at first though i didnt want but then i realize currecnt pc and everything will be going away with it to my kido.
ill focus on keyboards and mouse but would need help with a proper monitor. i was thinking something widescreen and that can go up to 4K.

Zip code/location? (Shipping costs): 81211

with all this feel free to ask more questions, there's a bit of time until the date.
if there's a few ideas feel free to shoot them my way.
Thanks again for all the insight.

This post was edited by FYB on Jun 5 2022 10:46am
Gold: 39,837.69
Jun 5 2022 11:53am
Quote (FYB @ May 25 2022 11:21pm)

Needs
1TB SSD
32GB ram
Blue color scheme

Price cap - 3.5K

Questions that I have:

Build yourself. Stock isn’t really a problem anymore.

Bitcoin miners played like 1% of the problem of stock on parts. There was a chip shortage due to Covid
Gold: 20,950.54
Jun 21 2022 03:38am
you have not really mentioned what you will use it for and why you need 32GB Ram but have done a list for you well within your budget with room for amendments. Let us know what you intend to use it for and what resolution you mainly use.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/c2tfmr - this is just a little over $1,500
Gold: 0.00
Jun 22 2022 10:37pm
1. In my region, the price of pc parts is decreased so it's worth for building a pc nowadays.
2 and 3 (maybe). If you will use high tdp processor, maybe it's must use a water cooling or bigger air cooler fan, andd if you want to OC then you MUST using better cooling like water cooling
Jun 28 2022 06:52pm
Quote (Yurihyuga @ Jun 21 2022 03:38am)
you have not really mentioned what you will use it for and why you need 32GB Ram but have done a list for you well within your budget with room for amendments. Let us know what you intend to use it for and what resolution you mainly use.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/c2tfmr - this is just a little over $1,500

i have previously mentioned in other comments the price range, uses, and all other info needed.

deadline for purchase is 16 days out then i will be purchasing all the parts. i will copy and paste the req's

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Budget: 3.5 - 4.5k

More specific use (what games, what programs): VR airlink games, Skyrim VR mods, Diablo 2 RES are my main, but i want to compensate for as much as i can with the VR being my main focus

Planned time until purchase: 16 days

Do you need an Operating System?: i will purchase windows through my account

Do you have any specific preferred components?: The ones that will keep on going

Do you need a sound or wireless card?: Idk it says online it turns sound into different sound... like wtf...? this is why i need your help internet!

Do you want stock cooling or do you plan on overclocking?: air if it will work quietly and efficiently

Do you need a monitor? mouse? keyboard?: So at first though i didnt want but then i realize currecnt pc and everything will be going away with it to my kido.
ill focus on keyboards and mouse but would need help with a proper monitor. i was thinking something widescreen and that can go up to 4K.

Zip code/location? (Shipping costs): 81211

--------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for all the feedback and interest in this post over the time ive been preparing for the purchase
now is the time

focus on hardware with the availability to upgrade in the future if need be.
Gold: 421.93
Jun 29 2022 11:55pm
Maybe Ryzen 9 (12 core) and 3080
Ryzen 9 because of video editing and VR, 12 core instead of 16 because it can still be air-cooled effectively
3080 because of budget (3090 might fit the budget and would probably be worth it)

I'm not a good source for monitors as I went with a cheap MSI 1440p monitor that ended up low on brightness.
Jul 1 2022 11:52pm
Hello. :)
Ive been trying to look some stuff up and get a grasp of what Ill going for
looking around at other builds posted and going through the little that i know this is what i have come up with so far.
its not done though.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CcDF4s

listed is a 16core ryzen 9.
I am fairly comfortable trying to liquid cool the cpu for my 1st time if its recommended, or just in general i know liquid is just more efficient.
i would just need to switch out the noctua fan to a liquid cooling but i didn't know which road to go down once it started asking sizes for the liquid cooler >.<
what do i match the size to?
also, i picked a high rated 3090 gpu that was listed. its possibly overkill, but that would be kind of what i want if it is.
should i go less or more? i dont want to have to upgrade for years so prefer to pay the extra now then later.
also also, am thinking if its necessary to install extra intake/outtake fans on the case, in doing so i couldn't find the dimensions to the fan i would need to buy to fit if anyone could show my this also. thanks :)

i again also, picked a random monitor for now. not too worried about this ATM, mainly just the pc.

any recommendations or changes that anyone would make feel free to throw them my way.
i thank everyone for their helpful comments so far :)

edit

also probs overkill with that power supply but i was trying to compensate for whatever extra fans may be installed plus whatever else. if its too much we can lose some wattage for some other stuff if its necessary

This post was edited by FYB on Jul 1 2022 11:55pm
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll