d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Need Help Setting Up A Vm
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 662.90
May 25 2022 08:40pm
Lmk price will download teamviewer if needed
Gold: 155.00
May 31 2022 07:18am
Well it depends on what you have your hands on and what you want to do in the first place. Are you done with it ?

Is Windows 10 pro installed ?
If yes : You might have heard about Hyper-V, if your hardware can handle running 2 games (let's say you want to run 2 copy of D2:R) then you might go for it, there is a great how to video here that I have tried myself and it worked great :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLLcc29EZ_8
It basically splits your resources between host and guest machine, I have done 50%/50% as I do have 32 GB of ram and a RTX3060 so i could run for sure 2 windows instances, 2 D2:R + parsec for remote VM control etc..
Only issue I had (easily skippable) is that I always had to start the host game before the guest game because somehow it messed around with priorization.
If I run guest's game before host's then the guest game will run like on a toaster.

If it's all about linux then well, you'd like to have a check about "wine" (allow the use of windows app) but i'm aware that it might not work for a D2:R (I do not have enough knowledge here)

if it's just running one copy of windows or linux (without gaming, ex: programming) i'd strongly advise Virtualbox as it's free and easy to use

If you have 2 computers, then you might wanna check for Remote Desktop Protocol but again, it will require 2 windows 10 pro and RDP is not recommended as its laggy and you will probably experiment input lag.

Let me know if you've done something interesting, I might bring more help if required but for me the video did the trick very nicely :)

This post was edited by florent622 on May 31 2022 07:19am
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll