d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Vps That Can Run D2r
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,910.00
May 21 2022 12:30am
I hope this falls under misc computer help since a vps is a computer 🙂

I really don't feel like buying a new laptop to play D2R, is it possible to play via remote access on a VPS? Basically for trading purposes I don't see it visually running nicely through the remote access to successfully mf or anything 😋

I have no experience with this kind of thing, most of the servers I find with GPU's are for game server hosting, no clue what could run D2R successfully or if those servers are the right ones. I understand the d2r requirements but lots of the graphics cards used on the servers I find arent familiar to me. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I am mainly restricted by power consumption, and if my 230W laptop can't run it, I don't see the upgrade being less watts lol. My current 230W laptop eats away fast at my lithium deep cycle batteries. I have a 50W laptop that could do remote access successfully, I just need help finding the right server.

Thnx again.
Gold: 796.00
May 21 2022 01:18pm
it's absolutely possible for D2R/accelerated applications in any regard to run well, but it comes down to money. why not just get a desktop or laptop? is the apathy a money issue, or decision fatigue? getting this set up well will be harder than ordering a computer and more expensive. also you won't have any RGB with a VPS.

are you power limited in the sense that you pay high-rates for energy? the upgrade could be less watts or do more with the same or something, what hardware are you using? that's what matters

Gold: 1,910.00
May 21 2022 01:51pm
Quote (purplex @ May 21 2022 03:18pm)
it's absolutely possible for D2R/accelerated applications in any regard to run well, but it comes down to money. why not just get a desktop or laptop? is the apathy a money issue, or decision fatigue? getting this set up well will be harder than ordering a computer and more expensive. also you won't have any RGB with a VPS.

are you power limited in the sense that you pay high-rates for energy? the upgrade could be less watts or do more with the same or something, what hardware are you using? that's what matters

Already found a 10$ a month vps that runs it via pm's, thanks though!

I pay zero rates for energy. I am powered by solar, and I cannot afford to upgrade my system anytime soon. High end laptops and gaming pc's have very high power consumption. I have 340 AH 12V Lithium power bank, and my 230W laptop only gets 4-5 hours when gaming. (and it can barely play basic games like AOE2 lol.) Instead of buying another $5000 solar kit it made more sense to me to remote access to a power hungry PC at a low monthly rate 🙂

This post was edited by Cryptocurrency on May 21 2022 01:55pm
Gold: 796.00
May 21 2022 03:09pm
that's neat and yeah, makes sense. although I will say you didn't make it clear if your laptop was a few years old or 10, and that would really matter. but I guess there was a backend goal of just wanting to get off of it anyway if you could, which makes that choice obviously understandable.. 5k panel big monies.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll