d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Switching Careers To A Programmer/software Enginee
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,805.00
May 19 2022 09:58am
Hello guys, I am currently in sales and making just shy over 6 figures. I have been considering switching to becoming a programmer but just never took it seriously. I have taken my first step today to learn the basics of Java via udemy. Just trying to get some advice from seasoned programmers on where should I start? Is it necessary for me to go back to school? Can I get away with self-learning or bootcamp? I have a business degree already but I know this won't help. I am 32 and i feel like it's late for me to switch but i am determined.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 952.50
Trader: Trusted
May 22 2022 01:01pm
Udemy isn't great, a lot of what you pay for can be found for free online - YouTube has an insane amount of free content, and freecodecamp is another great source.

It's not too late for you to switch.

Going back to school can make it a lot easier to get a job, especially if you take a program that involves co-op/internship opportunities. From what I can see a lot of the students I know received return offers from their internships pretty easily.

If you can get into computer science in uni, you can easily be on your way to a FAANG company for the big bucks, but it is extremely time consuming.

All in all, you absolutely can do it on your own / on the side. But you need to really want it, because it is a lot of work. Learning the concepts of programming is more important than learning a language, so choose whatever works for some sort of passion project you're interested in creating.

Another thing I've heard a lot is that experience, even unrelated, can be helpful and a lot of employers like people who are making a switch because it shows they are risking a lot and not just dipping their toes.
Gold: 0.01
May 22 2022 10:32pm
If you are making over 6 figures currently at 32, it might not be worth switching for career sake.

If it's something you're dead set on then 100% do a 6 month boot camp from a university.

The boot camps hold a lot weight when it comes to getting a job and it will teach you a solid understanding on coding.

Becoming a programmer isn't gonna immediately put you in the 6 figure salary range and a lot of programmers don't make that much. Its gonna be dependent on if you're doing front end or back end work, the company itself and other factors.

Just curious. What kind of sales are you in?

This post was edited by Ruthless187g on May 22 2022 10:34pm
May 24 2022 09:22am
Quote (Ruthless187g @ May 22 2022 09:32pm)
If you are making over 6 figures currently at 32, it might not be worth switching for career sake.

If it's something you're dead set on then 100% do a 6 month boot camp from a university.

The boot camps hold a lot weight when it comes to getting a job and it will teach you a solid understanding on coding.

Becoming a programmer isn't gonna immediately put you in the 6 figure salary range and a lot of programmers don't make that much. Its gonna be dependent on if you're doing front end or back end work, the company itself and other factors.

Just curious. What kind of sales are you in?

I am an AE and I sell cybersecurity. It ok but can’t see myself doing this forever. I’m learning Java right now and I’m enjoying it.

Yes I can see how programming is tough but I can push through it since I actually enjoy doing it. I can’t wait to learn enough to write my own code and so my own projects.
May 24 2022 09:36am
Im honestly very surprised you make that much selling cyber security but don't know any code lol. Understanding code should only help with your current job.

Imo, definitely learn to code but do it as a side project and once you have a good understanding there is always solo contracts you could take to earn some extra money.

Use the side projects to help build experience and if down the line a nice career opportunity opens up for you that would be financially equal or better to what you got then switch.

As Soroush already said, don't bother with Udemy. YouTube will have everything you need to get you started.
May 24 2022 12:25pm
Quote (Ruthless187g @ May 24 2022 08:36am)
Im honestly very surprised you make that much selling cyber security but don't know any code lol. Understanding code should only help with your current job.

Imo, definitely learn to code but do it as a side project and once you have a good understanding there is always solo contracts you could take to earn some extra money.

Use the side projects to help build experience and if down the line a nice career opportunity opens up for you that would be financially equal or better to what you got then switch.

As Soroush already said, don't bother with Udemy. YouTube will have everything you need to get you started.

Lol - I agree. My job is just to sell the idea. Once the idea is sold we schedule another zoom with a "cyber engineer" this is where we answer all the technical questions etc.

My job is to just reach out to CISOs via cold calling, schedule a zoom meeting, pitch the brand and convince them on a 30-day trial. If they move forward then we do the sizing call with CE
May 24 2022 12:28pm
to be exact - base we are 60/40 split - base is 85K OTE 120K
Gold: 50,130.50
May 24 2022 12:35pm
You might want to pick up algorithms and data structures, as these topics are almost always tested in interviews. Google gives this website to prospects to prepare on-site interviews:

https://techdevguide.withgoogle.com/paths/

This coupled with some leetcode practice should be enough to cover the basics.

Another thing that's not covered there that you'll need for interviews is knowledge of design patterns. There are many good resources on this on youtube such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNHpsC5ng_E&list=PLF206E906175C7E07

This coupled with making your own open source software on github, or working on open source projects will be plenty enough to show that you're a good asset to hire. As long as you're good enough of a salesman to find someone to interview you.
May 24 2022 12:43pm
Quote (PinoyUber @ May 24 2022 02:25pm)
Lol - I agree. My job is just to sell the idea. Once the idea is sold we schedule another zoom with a "cyber engineer" this is where we answer all the technical questions etc.

My job is to just reach out to CISOs via cold calling, schedule a zoom meeting, pitch the brand and convince them on a 30-day trial. If they move forward then we do the sizing call with CE

As long as you enjoy sales as your career i wouldn't switch.

I've worked sales for years as well and I know there's definitely a lot of stress that comes with it. I sold directv in store before and thats like maximum stress lol.

The 6 month bootcamps usually have a part time learning option available and with how much you make you could easily afford it.

I'd recommend that if you wanna learn as much as you can in a shorter period.

Quote (darkerfire @ May 24 2022 02:35pm)
You might want to pick up algorithms and data structures, as these topics are almost always tested in interviews. Google gives this website to prospects to prepare on-site interviews:

https://techdevguide.withgoogle.com/paths/

This coupled with some leetcode practice should be enough to cover the basics.

Another thing that's not covered there that you'll need for interviews is knowledge of design patterns. There are many good resources on this on youtube such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNHpsC5ng_E&list=PLF206E906175C7E07

This coupled with making your own open source software on github, or working on open source projects will be plenty enough to show that you're a good asset to hire. As long as you're good enough of a salesman to find someone to interview you.

Lol. He's barely even started writing code, I don't think he needs to worry about landing a job interview anytime soon.

This post was edited by Ruthless187g on May 24 2022 12:48pm
Gold: 50,130.50
May 24 2022 03:16pm
Quote (Ruthless187g @ May 24 2022 02:43pm)

Lol. He's barely even started writing code, I don't think he needs to worry about landing a job interview anytime soon.

He said he wants to switch to being a programmer, i.e be employed as one. This won't happen unless he knows what gets you hired. My advice comes from someone who has transitioned in a few months from a science field to being a programmer from barely coding, so I'm confident this information will help direct a newbie into the right path.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll