d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Gpu Driver Crashing
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.00
May 17 2022 03:48pm
Is this a sign of a dying GPU?

I have tried using DDU and got rid of all of the previous drivers and even completed a fresh installment of amd software + drivers.

Still seems to be crashing.

It's random, and usually happens when i alt-tab my game or just randomly.

[it also cuts my audio off]

had this rx 580 since release roughly.

Thanks.
Gold: 796.00
May 17 2022 04:30pm
i would reinstall windows
May 17 2022 04:40pm
Quote (purplex @ May 17 2022 05:30pm)
i would reinstall windows

I have tried fresh install of windows as well .
May 17 2022 04:53pm
ah okay, if you just mention that then amd software + drivers is implied :)

have you checked your temps? it never hurts to run a memtest...oh and eventviewer may have some useful info, there not being any logs timestamped at the time of the crash also tells us something. maybe you'll see that your driver crashed but not a windows crash (edit: wait is windows crashing or just that error?).
there could be an issue with the latest driver that you keep getting on both windows installs..or an issue with your game specifically (doing something not expected with memory etc) and it seeming system wide to you and especially us because we dont know the specifics. is your windows install barebones except what you're testing?

This post was edited by purplex on May 17 2022 04:54pm
May 17 2022 05:08pm
I have recently installed MSI afterburner and usually check my idle temps with Speccy.

In my event viewer I have a ton of "Kernel-Event Tracing" errors.

as well as "DistributedCOM" errors.

Along with a couple "Display" errors which indicate when my gpu crashed but then recovered itself.

My GPU temps while under heavy load 70C-77C

My CPU while under heavy load 40C-50C

I can check idle temps as well but I recall my GPU being idle 50C and my CPU is usually 29C-35C

Sorry for not providing this information earlier on.

Also, thanks for any advice or guidance with this.. it's quite frustrating. I am willing to purchase a new card [it's not a problem]

Windows is fine. To clarify it seems to only happen when I play games and it's quite random.

My whole computer locks up and then it unfreezes prompting the AMD driver crash error.

This post was edited by airhead793 on May 17 2022 05:11pm
May 17 2022 05:39pm
temps seem fine.. msi afterburner shows you clearly peaks, so you would know if it was hitting max ever in the session.

you could be cheeky and install an older GPU driver

do you use freesync?

how long does it take to crash generally? if it's too random what is lowest and what is highest time it's taken after you started playing a game? let https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven run for as long as it took, use whatever is medium settings at your max res, run it in full screen and try alt+tab. before you buy a new card you should see the same error when doing this.
let memtest86 run overnight in the effort to be a card carrying diagnostician
May 17 2022 05:43pm
Quote (purplex @ May 17 2022 06:39pm)
temps seem fine.. msi afterburner shows you clearly peaks, so you would know if it was hitting max ever in the session.

you could be cheeky and install an older GPU driver

do you use freesync?

how long does it take to crash generally? if it's too random what is lowest and what is highest time it's taken after you started playing a game? let https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven run for as long as it took, use whatever is medium settings at your max res, run it in full screen and try alt+tab. before you buy a new card you should see the same error when doing this.
let memtest86 run overnight in the effort to be a card carrying diagnostician

I do use FreeSync and i'm on a 144hz monitor.... perhaps thats the cause? can the rx 580 handle that ?

The lowest time would be today which was a few hours 3-4 hours before crashing.

Highest time i'd say days or a full day of being under heavy use. so like 10 hours +

In order to use memtest i need a flashdrive ?

I can definitely use Heaven and see if i can reproduce the error.

EDIT: Failed to reproduce the initial error with Heaven.

This post was edited by airhead793 on May 17 2022 05:58pm
May 17 2022 06:35pm
I know it's not memtest86 but i did run a windows memory test and it found no problems at all.

EDIT: Also ran a scannow and it repaired some corrupted files.

This post was edited by airhead793 on May 17 2022 06:48pm
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll