d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Investment & Finance > Coinbase
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
May 12 2022 09:17am
Quote (Melatonina @ May 12 2022 09:46am)
lmao

"Low IQs thinking, 'Oh so USDt is only backed 300mm/80B'

They processed that much payment yesterday. A bank doesn't process cash equivalent to it's Market Cap everyday.

People demanded 300 Million of USDt to be converted to USD and it was done, for the day.

Good Morning"

At best they have 60% of claimed reserves.

It would need to be a big run but it will happen sometime. They don't have good stewardship of the reserve funds
Gold: 63.45
Warn: 30%
May 12 2022 11:44am
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ May 12 2022 05:17pm)
At best they have 60% of claimed reserves.

It would need to be a big run but it will happen sometime. They don't have good stewardship of the reserve funds

people been saying this since 2017. probably the same who feared covid and got 3 doses asap "to not die" lmao
Do you also think fed has a 1:1 ratio backup for every dollar they print bro ?

This post was edited by Melatonina on May 12 2022 11:46am
May 12 2022 12:21pm
Quote (Melatonina @ May 12 2022 12:44pm)
people been saying this since 2017. probably the same who feared covid and got 3 doses asap "to not die" lmao
Do you also think fed has a 1:1 ratio backup for every dollar they print bro ?

Why would the fed have a backup? They aren't pegged to an asset. Don't tell me you don't even know the difference between a fiat and a pegged currency :rofl:
May 12 2022 01:44pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ May 12 2022 08:21pm)
Why would the fed have a backup? They aren't pegged to an asset. Don't tell me you don't even know the difference between a fiat and a pegged currency :rofl:

maybe I've wrote it wrong because my english isnt best.
how do they guarantee dollar's worth exactly ?
oh wait, I already know. they dont anymore since Nixon. its a shit coin that will slowly disappear and yup, usdt is based on it :(

This post was edited by Melatonina on May 12 2022 01:47pm
Gold: 100.09
May 13 2022 06:10am
🚀🚀🚀🚀
May 13 2022 12:31pm
Quote (Melatonina @ May 12 2022 02:44pm)
maybe I've wrote it wrong because my english isnt best.
how do they guarantee dollar's worth exactly ?
oh wait, I already know. they dont anymore since Nixon. its a shit coin that will slowly disappear and yup, usdt is based on it :(

Fundamentally USD is backed by the need to pay taxes in USD if you operate within the United States. In practice this means everybody uses it, and the more productive the economy that uses it is, the higher its value. Fiat currencies not being pegged to a physical asset does not mean the value is baseless.

USDT is supposed to have 1:1 reserves. They initially claimed they would verify this with regular audits, but when they tried to get an auditor to verify their operations they refused to comply with the auditor because they were "trying to get too specific". I.e. the auditor was trying to do their job and that wasn't convenient. To "verify" that they had the funds they did a snapshot of their bank account, which coincidentally coincided with a lot of sales of btc and re-buying btc right after. When people dug in more, they realized the funds are basically not there at all, and is probably being held as assets by Bitfinex.

They no longer claim to be totally backed, and now give a breakdown on their website of all their assets that they use to back tether should a bank run happen.

https://tether.to/en/transparency/#reports

However, we can regard a lot of this as effectively worthless. For instance, "commercial paper" which represents 36.68% of their "cash equivilant" reserves (23 billion in commercial paper) means loans to companies that isn't secured by collateral. Typically this is only given to exceptionally high reputation and cash flow companies like Apple or Google. There is no oversight into Tether's loans and nobody knows who they are giving it to. Nobody who works to organize commercial paper has ever heard of tether even though they would be one of the largest players in the world. If shit hits the fan with the wider economy, like what happens now, we can assume that will vanish.

So here's the short version. Tether is not a good steward of its reserves, and once they have a bank run that outpaces their reserves, tether goes to zero. I can't say when that will happen, but it will happen unless tether gets its shit together.

This post was edited by NetflixAdaptationWidow on May 13 2022 12:33pm
Gold: 0.31
May 13 2022 02:42pm
Imma just pay myself on the back for buying the dip, started my position at $52
May 13 2022 04:24pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ May 13 2022 08:31pm)
Fundamentally USD is backed by the need to pay taxes in USD if you operate within the United States. In practice this means everybody uses it, and the more productive the economy that uses it is, the higher its value. Fiat currencies not being pegged to a physical asset does not mean the value is baseless.

USDT is supposed to have 1:1 reserves. They initially claimed they would verify this with regular audits, but when they tried to get an auditor to verify their operations they refused to comply with the auditor because they were "trying to get too specific". I.e. the auditor was trying to do their job and that wasn't convenient. To "verify" that they had the funds they did a snapshot of their bank account, which coincidentally coincided with a lot of sales of btc and re-buying btc right after. When people dug in more, they realized the funds are basically not there at all, and is probably being held as assets by Bitfinex.

They no longer claim to be totally backed, and now give a breakdown on their website of all their assets that they use to back tether should a bank run happen.

https://tether.to/en/transparency/#reports

However, we can regard a lot of this as effectively worthless. For instance, "commercial paper" which represents 36.68% of their "cash equivilant" reserves (23 billion in commercial paper) means loans to companies that isn't secured by collateral. Typically this is only given to exceptionally high reputation and cash flow companies like Apple or Google. There is no oversight into Tether's loans and nobody knows who they are giving it to. Nobody who works to organize commercial paper has ever heard of tether even though they would be one of the largest players in the world. If shit hits the fan with the wider economy, like what happens now, we can assume that will vanish.

So here's the short version. Tether is not a good steward of its reserves, and once they have a bank run that outpaces their reserves, tether goes to zero. I can't say when that will happen, but it will happen unless tether gets its shit together.

it's the same for about any money, their only value is based on trust from the users, and can go anytime to zero. you're just parrotting some reddits/twitter snowflakes with outdated info on top of it.(bolded)
May 13 2022 04:26pm
Quote (Melatonina @ May 13 2022 05:24pm)
it's the same for about any money, their only value is based on trust from the users, and can go anytime to zero. you're just parrotting some reddits/twitter snowflakes with outdated info on top of it.(bolded)

It isn't true for any money. As I already said, the true determination of the value of a dollar is the productive capacity of the economy that uses it for taxes. There is inherent supply that is maintained by the need to pay taxes on all earned income.

The bold is more true now than ever. Tether has not made good stewardship of its money, and a large portion of their reserves are likely gone. Once the stewardship gets bad enough and there is a large enough bank run, they will collapse.
May 14 2022 02:08am
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ May 14 2022 12:26am)
It isn't true for any money. As I already said, the true determination of the value of a dollar is the productive capacity of the economy that uses it for taxes. There is inherent supply that is maintained by the need to pay taxes on all earned income.

The bold is more true now than ever. Tether has not made good stewardship of its money, and a large portion of their reserves are likely gone. Once the stewardship gets bad enough and there is a large enough bank run, they will collapse.

"it's likely like I say" " covid vaccines are likely to work"
Always using the same broken metholody I see.
Sounds like you just described us dollar once again m8.
Whats even more funny is that the first society that is "likely" to embrace hyper-bitcoinisation is USA. Paying taxes in us dollars is almost like talking of the past if you can see the pattern behind it.
Us debt > amount of stars in our galaxy. Got it chump it will collapse.

This post was edited by Melatonina on May 14 2022 02:15am
Go Back To Investment & Finance Topic List
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll