d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Investment & Finance > Stock Trading Or Investing
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 103.00
Apr 5 2022 12:12am
Take your original bankroll, cut it in half, and put half away. That's all I can say. You will be needing it later. Nothing personal just new trader's journey 😇 wish I had known that myself, learning to trade was a very expensive lesson only worsened as my confidence grew and the sense that I could dig myself out of it grew (I couldn't get back in the green until much much later, once I became jaded and all emotion left the equation).

But in a more practical sense, you are going to invest everything in your picks, and then hear about a new opportunity and want to do something with that, but it'll be impractical to sell an existing position because maybe there's been a bad week or two and you'd have to take a loss to free up cash, this happens regularly and it's entirely why you always have cash, always.

I read somewhere that trading against WallStreetBets is almost always winning, and same with the StockTwits trending tickers (particularly anything up like 100% that no one's heard of until it's trending).

Remember, investing is inherently forward-thinking. If a catalyst is "coming soon", it's already factored in. Any other price activity is varying degrees of people assuming how other investors will react, but there's no foundation to big fluctuations that come off already-known catalyst milestones. An example would be: Don't be buying Tesla when they announce the first Cybertruck delivery is scheduled, buy Tesla because you believe in the company. Don't buy Pfizer or Moderna because a new COVID variant was announced, everyone already knows variants are expected, buy the company because you see the business as a juggernaut that will never be replaced or something.

This post was edited by CheatEngine on Apr 5 2022 12:22am
Gold: 1.00
Apr 5 2022 07:49am
Quote (Boniface @ Apr 4 2022 05:45pm)
If one's not into that and don't want to get into that because he knows he'll freak out and just want to look at it every f ing hour if not 5 minutes... seconds? What do you offer for advice in this particular situation?

There's nothing stopping you from doing that when a mutual fund manager has your money. You can still just login and because you're the individual who owns the investment by default you have both trading and signing authority.

If that one extra layer of having to ask your mutual fund manager is what is preventing you from rash decision-making, i'd suggest first a bit of light reading and second there are other low-cost options that index you. While I don't have all the particulars because I have been self-directed my entire life, companies like Vanguard do offer low cost managed solutions where you do exactly that. Just put all your money into an index, but it adds that extra layer of having to have Vanguard pull the funds, just like you would if you had your typical mutual fund manager running things. Set up automated investing with them and off you go.

Gold: 126,873.00
Apr 5 2022 05:43pm
Quote (KGFraming @ Apr 4 2022 08:57pm)
exactly what i would like is to be glued to the computer or computers buying and trading all day long

You'll have as much chance as a pee wee baseball kid vs MLB, don't do it. Professionals will eat you for breakfast. Invest and forget.
Gold: 69.69
Warn: 30%
Apr 6 2022 04:38am
Risk vs reward and knowledge and timing to minimize the risk will make you an intelligent investor
Gold: 900.00
Apr 6 2022 06:57am
I'm gonna spend 100 on small stocks buy a few and learn by playing with pennies first just for educational purposes because yes its confusing
Gold: 5.00
Apr 6 2022 02:46pm
Recommend to just put your stuff into SPY unless you have good background with math and analytics. I'd dump some into crypto, BTC and/or ETH split. For more hands on, it seems a combination of staying ahead of current events and political ongoing as well as developing some good models to work from. Even if you do that well, SPY probably do better, but its fun to be more in the know.

This post was edited by RedFromWinter on Apr 6 2022 02:46pm
Gold: 69.69
Warn: 40%
Apr 7 2022 12:52pm
Quote (KGFraming @ Apr 5 2022 01:57am)
exactly what i would like is to be glued to the computer or computers buying and trading all day long

download Binance, enjoy trading from ur PC.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 80%
Apr 8 2022 11:26am
I put all my life savings in Forum Gold. People will always need Jah and Ber runes to create Enigma for teleport. Because of this demand in every ladder I’m confident this will be a good long term investment.
Gold: 2,000.00
Apr 8 2022 03:52pm
Quote (DiamondHands @ Apr 8 2022 11:26am)
I put all my life savings in Forum Gold. People will always need Jah and Ber runes to create Enigma for teleport. Because of this demand in every ladder I’m confident this will be a good long term investment.

ez there yoginator
Gold: 222.00
Apr 9 2022 07:15am
Quote (WarrenBuffet @ Apr 4 2022 03:30pm)
Listen to one of the best in the game

Buy safe stocks and have patience wait atleast 5-15years then look back. Your 30,000 Will be much more.

Stocks is all about patience and buying good companys.

Warren Buffett recommends know nothing investors to index, thus giving the returns of the market in general.

That said, investing in individual companies takes a lot of work to do it properly. You need to analyze a company. This means going through all the 10-ks and 10-qs for the past 5-10 years. You then need to decide what the driving factors are, market share ownership, purchasing power, returns on deployed capital, margins, leverage and much more. And that's just the quantitative side of it. You also have things on the qualitative side such as psychological influencers, quality of the owners and the boards, the story of the company, things that could potentially hinder the company etc.

Then after you do all that. now you have to do the same thing for its industry competitors as well, then cross examine them.

Investing in individual companies is not as easy to do as some people make it out to be. So, id stick with indexing overall if you dont want to spend hours upon hours of your day doing it for, essentially, a living with no guaranteed prospects of out performing the index in the first place.

edit: also when you index make sure you invest in a low fee, non market cap weighted index as it would save you up to 2-3% a year

This post was edited by FrenchVanilla on Apr 9 2022 07:21am
Go Back To Investment & Finance Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll