d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > D2r Guide How To Build A Start Of Ladder Smiter!! > D2:R
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 9,925.50
Apr 2 2022 01:43am
2.4 D2R Budget Smiter Guide

So you want to build a Smiter but your not sure what gear you need to farm ubers early early ladder. like day 1 to 7! safely!

I have also made a video for those that prefer video format to learn stuff, and it includes the mini ubers and
Uber tristram fight on a mega budget ie the first options for all these options below and chatting about gear.

TLDR Here are 5 exact Builds you can follow on maxroll using the principles in this guide we used build (1) in the video.

1.(Ultra low budget) https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner-ptr/m401061y
2.(Deaths guard combo) https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner-ptr/ej01069u
3. (Irathas combo) https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner-ptr/g90106i0
4.(Med high budget) https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner-ptr/nb01063z
5.( End game budget) https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner-ptr/4b0106p7

Ok so heres the scenario you've created your sorc and farmed hell meph a couple times at the start of ladder or you began with a paladin
as a hammderdin or in 2.4 a Fohdin and now your looking to do ubers. you respec your paladin at level 75 to a pure smiter and are now
gearing him up with budget gear to use your first set of keys.

Remember the 5 smiter essentials.
1. Ias and Cannot be frozen. (Determines your attack speed and frequency of hits)
2. high resistances especially lightning. (reduces damage taken from the deadliest enemy in uber tristram mephisto)
3. crushing blow ( deals the heaviest of hits by dealing 12.5% of a bosses total HP in one hit)
4. open wounds (Versus bosses and champions the damage is divided by 2. open wounds prevents bosses from regenerating HP or 200frames ie 8 seconds)
5. life tap (or amp damage if your high budget with rejuvs) (keeps you alive by leeching 50% of physical damage back to your life pool)

these above things are the key to an efficient smiter and its important you have each one of them on your build regardless of the gear you select.

lets go over gear starting with weapons we will start with the cheapest option and thats easiest to find early ladder and work our way up to med late game options as you progress.

Weapons

Black (thul io nef) in a flail as it has the fastest attack speed. Black grants you 40 crushing blow which as we stated above deals a ton of damage.
Heaven's Light is your first upgrade for weapons if you can afford it. very cheap and can have 3skills and 2 sockets for shael runes for more Ias.
Fleshripper & Stormlash are other great options for ubers, they are rare drops to get early and if you find them use them but don't seek them out.
Grief incredibly powerful weapon that will make your smite deal incredible damage this is your late game option but you don't need it and is beyond a early budget stick with heaven's light.

Shields
Rhyme a great starting shield giving you an early source of cannot be frozen for shael eth.
Moser's 25 @res and 2 open sockets for two perfect diamonds and offers 30 faster block rate.
4P diamond Paladin shield Great early find itemw ith 76-121@res depending on the starting res. make sure to pick a base with a high smite damage if you can.
Spirit 55FHR 2sk and huge resistance this shield is amazing upgrade to it from your 4p diamond shield when you can make up the res elsewhere.
Stormshield - Only use if you come across it has some amazing res and damage reduction. again don't seek it out for a smiter but its still nice if you come across it.
HOZ not the cheapest option but still somewhat cheap in the late end game version of the build do not prioritize this item before other more essential gear.

Armor
Smoke - A great early armor with 50@res and 20 FHR requiring only Nef Lum
Crowcaw - only use this if you find and it and you have no other source of open wounds, its best to make a crafted belt for openwounds but lets say your going full IRathas or deaths guard combo and that slot is taking up this is one potential cheap option for openwounds. niche armor that in most cases wont be your best option but depending on your particular playthrough could be useful
Lionheart - (Hel Lum Fal) This one is more of a trap, the stats look great and provide a lot of extra life str dex and all res. the 20% ED also helps your smite damage. But generally your going to need resistance more than life str and dex. so stick with smoke unless you really dont need the extra 20@res. on top of that you need a 3 socket base for it and generally if you find a nice 3os base you want to save that for your best in slot budget armors that are treachery and duress.
Treachery -(shael thul lem) If your lucky enough to find a Lem from your forge then this is a absolutely outstanding armor to make 45ias is incredible paired with the fade proc that grants you massive all 60@res. you can prebuff with this armor casting the fade then swapping back to smoke or duress if you have it. also when fighting duriel it is advised to still use this armor to counteract the slow cold effect duriel will have on you with his holy freeze aura which cannot be avoided by cannot be frozen.
Duress - (shael um thul) Even though its popular this armor is still underrated. 40FHR 15% crushing blow and 33% chance of open wounds, this armor does it all. for a budget this is your top of the line armor and i recommend your first use of a um rune if your lucky enough to get one. Best to still prebuff with treachery and then equipped this afterwards.

Gloves
Crafted Blood Gloves -(P Ruby + Nef + heavy gloves/ sharkskin/ vampirebone gloves) Crushing Blow (5-10)% (1-3)% Life Stolen Per Hit +(10-20) To Life. Highly recommend you craft these first as they are cheap and can be absolutely the best in slot options below this are alternatives but honestly just go with these they are insane value. I would only use something else if you have a good reason to ie a set combo or dracs for lifetap safety.
Rare Gloves Not as good as the option above but if you find a nice pair with good fire and light res and 20 Ias these can be useable.
Laying of hands A quick and easy source of 20 ias if your building as a zeal hybrid then you also benefit from the 350% damage to demons, it doesnt work on smite but it does on zeal. 50% fire res is nothing to scoff at either.
Irathas Cuff These gloves I would not recommend using unless using the full Irathas set combo, with 2 pieces they also give 20ias.
Death's Hand these gloves have a huge amount of poison resists and grant 30Ias when paired with the belt, it can make for a deadly combo.
Draculs. Best in slot entering the medium budget range, definitely use these if you can as they make it easier to stay in the fight without having to swap and recast life tap with a wand. They wont be your first pair of gloves but are great gloves to work towards.

Boots
Safety Boots (P emerald + Ort + Magic Greaves/ War boots/ Myrmidon boots) (10-30)% Enhanced Defense Fire Resist + (5-10)% Magic Damage Reduced By (1-2) Damage Reduced By (1-4)
Great auto modifiers on safety boots to increase survivability and they using up a less often used gem and is best in slot for immortal sorcs so you could end up crafting something you could sell for 8 ber runes ;).
Duel Res Boots Any pair of nice duel res boots with fire and lightning resist and some FRW could be used here.
Marrowwalks nice pair of boots that grant lifetap charges and bone prison. this eliminates the need for a lifetap wand and bone prison is also very useful if you learn how to use it effectively.
Goblin Toes Great pair of cheap boots, try to get a pair of these early if you can, they add a whopping 25% crushing blow.
Gore Rider's Generally the best in slot more expensive option good as a upgrade target but not necessary to complete ubers.

Helmet
Irathas Coil This helmet even without the rest of the set is a great start with 30/30 fire light res. Worth holding onto until you find something better even if you don't go for the irathas smiter.
Rockstopper Cold Resist +20-40% Fire Resist +20-50% Lightning Resist +20-40% and 10% damage reduction makes for a overall great survival helm and can round out your resist's
Darksight The most underrated helmet in the game for ubers hands down full stop!! 20-40% fire resist and CBF are great additionally it has the very underrated dim vision when struck!!!
this can save you from danger in liliths crypt and reduces damage taken by minions in the ubers fight especially mephisto. Ontop of all that you have cloak of shadow charges to completely dodge packs of enemies while running the mini ubers and helps relocate packs of spawned minions in tristram.
Guillaume's Face Generally the best and still very budget helmet if your resistances are covered +30% Faster Hit Recovery 15% Chance of Deadly Strike 35% Chance of Crushing Blow +15 to Strength. If your survivability is up to par then using this is a no brainer.

Amulets
Prismatic Amulet - (Perfect Topaz, Amethyst, Ruby, Emerald, Saphire, Diamond + Magic Amulet )will give you a amulet with 16-20 all res and a chance for a suffix. This is a starter.
Blood Amulet - (Amn + P Ruby + Jewel + Rare Amulet) FRW Life and life leech are guaranteed mods making this a great way to use your amn runes.
Safety Amulet (Thul + P Emerald + Jewel + Rare Amulet) Increased block chance and reduced dmg but mainly your rolling for a chance at good resistance.
Cats Eye A great amulet to set your sites on I sometimes prefer it to highlords, 25dex is nothing to scoff at and the 30frw is great to speed you up. The main reason though is that 20Ias which you also get from highlords.
Highlords Generally the best in slot option for all melee builds, it also comes with a nice 35 light res which helps with ubers, can be a bit pricey early on though.

Rings
Hit power Ring (Thul + P Sapphire + Jewel + Rare Amulet) I tend to craft a lot of these and where I spend most of my Thul runes. The frost nova can really help slow enemies.
Safety Ring (Amn + P Emerald + Jewel + Rare Amulet) Not the best mods on safety rings but good use of Amns, yes you want Amns for blood amulets but your not gonna use many Prubys on amulets as you need to prioritize your Ruby supply on blood gloves, belts and the occasional blood ring.
Blood Ring (Sol + P Ruby + Jewel + Rare Amulet) Best craft ring option but prioritize your Rubies first on Gloves and a decent belt.
Raven Frost Can be on the pricier end but the best source of cannot be frozen buy this when you can afford it as its a best in slot option.

Belts
Crafted Blood Belt ( Tal + P Ruby + Jewel + Rare Amulet) 5-10% Open Wounds makes this a essential FIRST craft with a Perfect Ruby for your Smiter, this belt can also be best in slot longterm and its the cheapest! Do not, not make this belt!!
Tgods The second belt you want to prioritize for that massive 20 Lightning absorb and 10% to max light res. This belt can be reasonably priced even early on.
Verdungos Great damage reduction and life one of the best melee belts, not essential though you still want to buy a Tgods first for mephisto but it is very solid overall.
String of Ears Similar to Vurdungo's and slightly better for zeal hybrids because of the life leach, if your blood crafts aren't that good a SOE paired with a Tgods can be effective.

Charms
Essentially you want to fill your inventory with lightning resist charms first and anything which adds additional life depending on the gear sets you picked some FHR charms can help too.

Additional Gear
Lifetap wand -Shopped in act2 nightmare is the best spot by Drognan, respawn the map until its a northern exit to quickly reset the shop.
Teleport staff - Naj tele staff or a shopped staff I recommend shopping one on your first playthrough of normal they can be shopped in act 3 by Ormus, what makes shopping it early worth it is if you are below level 24 most items with charges will appear with red background making them easy to spot.

If people want I can add Stats and skills to this guide and more info if there is interest and some trick for the uber fight but i find the gear is the most important part that I wanted to chat to you guys about as stats and skill have been stated 10,000 times in other build guides.

Here are 5 exact Builds you can follow on maxroll using the principles in this guide we used build (1) in the video.

1.(Ultra low budget) https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner-ptr/m401061y
2.(Deaths guard combo) https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner-ptr/ej01069u
3. (Irathas combo) https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner-ptr/g90106i0
4.(Med high budget) https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner-ptr/nb01063z
5.( End game budget) https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner-ptr/4b0106p7

Remember the 5 smiter essentials.
1. Ias and Cannot be frozen.
2. high resistances especially lightning.
3. crushing blow
4. open wounds
5. life tap (or amp damage if your high budget with rejuvs)
Gold: 27.00
Apr 2 2022 01:55am
Very nice guide mate! A lot of good options explained.
10/10
Apr 2 2022 02:04am
Quote (cantero @ Apr 2 2022 12:55am)
Very nice guide mate! A lot of good options explained.
10/10

thanks man! <3 took a lot of time thinking through all the available options and really testing things out practically to make sure it was all viable at such a low budget for consistent kills without deaths.
Gold: 27.00
Apr 2 2022 07:06am
Another idea. I also have an ultra budget iratha smitter. But i went with rattlecage (ral), if you want to make it even more cheap, um is a bit expensive on first hours :D
I used ort in helm for 30 light res
Dwarf as ring, for the sweet fire abs, 15dmr and nice 40 life.
Apr 2 2022 12:51pm
Quote (cantero @ Apr 2 2022 06:06am)
Another idea. I also have an ultra budget iratha smitter. But i went with rattlecage (ral), if you want to make it even more cheap, um is a bit expensive on first hours :D
I used ort in helm for 30 light res
Dwarf as ring, for the sweet fire abs, 15dmr and nice 40 life.

It's true you'd have to get lucky with forge for that um, rattlecage is a great idea and maybe drop the black flail for Malice as a source of openwounds .
Gold: 7,785.00
Apr 5 2022 04:42am
Love the build, exactly what I went for early on as well.

I'd just add one more point:

Skill & stat utilization:
Strength: Enough to wear gear
Dex: Max block (AFTER holy shield)
Vit: whatever is left
Energy: Big no-no

Skills:
Prereqs for holy shield, prereqs for Fanaticism, then max:
Holy shield, Fanaticism, Lightning res (gives +1 max res for each 2 HARD points invested, up to a maximum of +10 max lightning res), Defiance, Smite (Or max smite over defiance, it doesn't really matter too much either way)

OR:
Max holy shield
1 point into fanaticism
Max holy hammer
Max Concentration
Max Holy bolt

The latter might be more suited if you have enough lightning res & Tgods, since it skips the lightning res in order to have an easier time getting keys by yourself, if you're into playing alone and not sharing profits :)
Apr 10 2022 11:50am
Quote (Darvulat @ Apr 5 2022 03:42am)
Love the build, exactly what I went for early on as well.

I'd just add one more point:

Skill & stat utilization:
Strength: Enough to wear gear
Dex: Max block (AFTER holy shield)
Vit: whatever is left
Energy: Big no-no

Skills:
Prereqs for holy shield, prereqs for Fanaticism, then max:
Holy shield, Fanaticism, Lightning res (gives +1 max res for each 2 HARD points invested, up to a maximum of +10 max lightning res), Defiance, Smite (Or max smite over defiance, it doesn't really matter too much either way)

OR:
Max holy shield
1 point into fanaticism
Max holy hammer
Max Concentration
Max Holy bolt

The latter might be more suited if you have enough lightning res & Tgods, since it skips the lightning res in order to have an easier time getting keys by yourself, if you're into playing alone and not sharing profits :)

Yeah exactly thanks for the add! I went over that stuff in the video version but didn't want to type it all out here haha. I feel like people generally see to many words in a paragraph and go ok skip! But I'm happy to read some comments after haha so perfect! Haha
Gold: 24,802.51
Apr 10 2022 03:13pm
Tracked. Great guide! I’ll look back on this from time to time.. nicely done
Gold: 1,460.40
Apr 13 2022 09:18pm
Thank you for this!
Gold: 1,505.10
Apr 14 2022 05:53am
Very nice and useful
Thank you
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
123Next