d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > User Blogs > History Of Mld D2r Arena Events And Results
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 61,711.69
Mar 28 2022 11:51am
History of MLD D2r Arena Events and results - https://arena.gl/clubs/LLD101

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 28 2022 12:00pm
Mar 28 2022 11:59am

1st Event - Winner - Snatch - ESBlizz
7 Players
Ferdia - Bowa
Chum - Barb
Nupper - Bowa
Snick - Trapper
ThisDonger - Mage
Snatch - ESBlizz
I Do Meth Not Math - ESFB

2nd Event - Winner - I Do Meth Not Math - ESFB
4 Players
Ferdia - Bowa
Humonculous - Libby
This Donger - Mage
I Do Meth No Math - ESFB

3rd Event - Winner - Chum - Barb
5 Players
Chum - Barb
Ferdia - Bowa
Snatch - Blizz
WPTheLegend - VitaFB

Mar 28 2022 12:01pm

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 28 2022 12:02pm
Mar 29 2022 02:27am
TLDR : Approach to Rules for MLD in D2r. Part 1.

In D2LOD it can be stated that the rules for MLD (Dueling in the Level 49 Bracket) heavily favoured bowa's. This can be evidenced by the % win rate of Bowa's in the tournaments held since 2009-2017 (they won 10 of 22 tournaments https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=77689883&f=143). There are alot of reasons for this. For some builds it pays to be itemlame (barb, ama) while for other classes you can only get so many upgrades (ESFB for instance its really only the circlet and amulet that sets them apart). Some thoughts on the tournaments & classes that won them - All the winners of the tournaments were exceptional players and, barring anti-char match ups, could kill each other. Some players championed certain builds and some players championed multiple builds.

Amazons - Myself, Snatch and then later Obstgarten were the 3 best equipped zons (prior to 2009 Alongcomesmary had the best zon). By the end of D2LOD Obstgarten had the best zon with the most itemlame MLD shadow bow ever seen. That + skill equated to results.
Libby - Leevolka was without exception, the best libby player we ever saw on EU either at LLD or MLD, most especially in TvT. Licio Glax was also a very good Libby player. with the changes to D2R the likelyhood is I will have to increase their max allowable Fire res.
ESFB - Octogenarian won 1 tournament with ESFB. Very aggressive playstyle, auto loses vs trappers and vs skilled players that make him impatiant. Harabec would to my mind be consider a more all round player on ESFB. We had several good ESFB's over the years. In D2R I am reducing the allowed fire res on Bowa's from 85 to 80 in order to see what this does for the specific match up ESFB vs Bowa. By the end of D2LOD all the bowa's had rare javs and Lightning Bolt melted ESFB's that stomped.
Nec - Perserker[PVP] - Perz did not play alot of the tournaments but both he and Harabec were able to demonstrate the viability of Nec's in MLD. The expected damage boost in 2.4 will hopefully make them even more viable.
EsLight -Harabec - Alex was the best all round player that we ever saw in MLD (lee would be a close second, and there was no 3rd player) and demonstrated the robustness of the rules by being in contention with a variety of classes (Nec, Sorc, Barb, Ama)
V/T - Derpate - Without a doubt the only skilled V/T player we ever saw in MLD. Derpate single handedly made the build viable. Kudos to him on this.
Barb - We had 4-5 very good barb players. Harabec, Lee, Chris were all excellent barbs. The FRW limits and desync made them competitive. the removal of desync in D2r makes sorc's a hard counter now. To implement teleport charges is a slippery slope and I would rather either host exceptional tournaments without sorcs sometimes, then allow teleport. Putting rules on sorc's "must stay inscreen vs barb" wont really change the result but will give barbs a chance.
EsBlizz - Lam3r and Maximus_Le_Roi were the 2 best Blizz players. Jim was also excellent but he did not register to (m)any? of the tournaments. The likelyhood is that Barb and co will have no stack limit vs them in future (chanceless vs them). A good blizz is incredibly hard to beat.
Trapper Addesmile won a MLD tournament with trapper but I would say that Harabec was the best trapper we saw at MLD. Amazons were a hard counter to trappers which is why we did not see many of them.

The class missing from the list is Tele Dudu. We had 2 players, twinsen and Lam3r, who were able to demonstrate how good this build was but they did not want to enter the tournaments for fear of getting the build nerfed. Both of those players were at the very top in terms of skill.

Mar 29 2022 03:27am
Classes at MLD and were they stand in terms of strength

S TIER : Bowa

#1 Ama : Bowa's - Won 10 Tournaments. Getting a massive damage boost in 2.4. Will need to consider a rule such as "max 1 point Multi". I have already reduce max allowable fire res from 85 to 80 and reduced FRW limits over the years from no limits to 130, 120, 110, 100 and then finally 85% FRW. With changes to D2R will have to revisit FRW limits (see next post). Only hard counter in D2LOD was Smiter and did not run into many of those noting Smiters had too many bad matchups. Very popular build. Very Gear dependant (Bow). Noting Smiter hard counters Bowa, it could be argued Bowa is not an S Tier Build however based on results its safer to put it here to justify nerfing it (results speak). 3 Top players championed the build.

A TIER : Blizz, Tele Dudu, ESFB, V/T, Trapper

#2 Sorc : ESBlizz - Won 2 Tournaments and consistently did well in tournaments. Range Buff in 2.4. No Anti Char's but has some very hard matchups. Does better vs Trap then Fire/Light Sorc. 3 highly skilled players championed this build.

#3 Druid : Tele Dudu -Did not feature in tournaments. Had no one to champion the build in D2LOD but highly competitive with 2 top players using it.

#4 Sorc : ESFB - Competitive, is hard countered by trapper and the 85% fire res rule had amazons favored. Unsure if anything can be done vs trappers but reduced Fire res from 85 to 80 and gear/item limitations (for Bowa's) will have ESFB doing very well for now (when combined with Desync changes to D2R. likely to be A Tier. very popular build. LLD have been unable to balance ESFB to date (my own view is reducing block chance to 65% is the way). 1 Top player championed the build.

#5 Pala : V/T - The only good V/T that played 2 Tournaments, won both tournaments. Attack Speed Buff in 2.4. Not a popular build but still very very strong. 1 Top player championed the build.

#6 Assa : Trapper - Hard countered by Bowa's but getting buffed in 2.4. will have to see state of play at that point to determine its position in the Tier List. HLD (read; high level 90+ dueling) have been unable to balance Assassins to date (my own view is they should nerf the entire build into the ground and then work up. An outright ban on the class for a few tournaments is probably not a bad idea either. 1 top player championed the build at MLD.

B TIER :

#7 Pala : Libby - Competitive, but seriously nerfed in D2R due to Desync being removed. Only via data (tournament results) will we know its true position in the Tier list. 2 Top players championed the build.
#8 Barb : WW Barb - Competitive, but seriously nerfed in D2R due to Desync being removed. Hard Countered by all sorc's. Very gear dependant. 4 top players championed the build.

C TIER :

#9 Necro : PNB Nec - Competitive, but high degree of skill required. Hopefully the 2.4 Damage buff will kick the Necro up a Tier (or 2). 1 Top player championed the build.
#10 Sorc : ESLight - Competitive, but high degree of skill required. No buffs in 2.4 afaik. 1 Top player championed the build.
#11 Pala : Smiter - Competitive, but alot of bad matchups. Hard counters Bowa however. 2 Top players championed the build.
#12 Sorc : VitaLight - Competitive but very gear dependant (2/20/3/3 orb and 2/17 Amulet) 1 Top player championed the build.

D TIER: [ Not Competitive ]

#13 Amazon : Plague Hybrid - Only 2~ featured in tournaments. Not popular.
#14 Sorc : VitaFB - Not viable in 1v1 - too many counters.
#15. Amazon : Java - Not viable in 1v1 - too many hard counters. more of a TvT Character
16. Druid : Rabies Shaper - Not viable 1v1 to win a large tournament (too many bad matchups) a TvT build similar to Java.
17. Druid : Fury Shaper - Not viable 1v1 to win a large tournament (too many bad matchups) a TvT build similar to Java. May consider allowing to level to 59.

Other: Sorc : ESFW - Did not take part in tournaments. State of build unknown

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 29 2022 03:56am
Mar 29 2022 03:42am
Faster Run Walk Limits and why they are needed:

This is not HLD and MLD did not go down the road of LLD with regards to embracing teleport for all via tele staffs. Yes we allowed telestaffs on druids as did LLD initially noting no other druid build is realistically viable. The idea at MLD is for each class to have at least 1 build viable to win a 1v1 tournament while at the same time attempting to embrace as much diversity of builds in tournaments as possible.

As a consequence re: Telestaffs - On the one hand sorceress's feed on Melee builds (Repl Limits in place to encourage the sorcs to be aggressive/mitigate) and Faster Run Walk limits are used to balance the other match ups.

With the changes to the screen resolution, the overall FRW limits of MLD in D2LOD needed to be increased from those in D2LOD, noting this gives the melee builds more FRW to play around with vs Sorc's (even while accepting winning vs a sorc on a Barb / Shaper etc. is almost impossible now).

Therefore the limts to FRW will continue to be revisited in order to balance Ama vs Assa vs Barb vs Nec vs Pala vs Druid. With no FRW limits in LLD it is pretty much pointless to build certain classes (which is why I advocate FRW limits in LLD (level 30 dueling).

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 29 2022 04:00am
Mar 29 2022 04:04am
Team Duels

The community in D2r is still in its infancy, and therefore we do not have the numbers (yet) to have consistent team duels. The idea is to continue to grow the community where success is determined as seeing consistent team duels. Therefore I will be using various platforms (ingame, arena, discord, jsp) in order to get to that point.
Mar 29 2022 08:51am
Once 2.4 hits the idea is to do FT50's between the best players in order to see the current state of affairs re: Balance / Matchups / Tier List etc.
Apr 1 2022 01:46am
4th Event - Winner - Ferdia - Bowa
4 Players
Ferdia - Bowa
WPTheLegend - VitaFB
Snick - Bowa

(snatch and chum pulled out)

5th Event - Winner - Ferdia - Bowa
5 Players
Ferdia - Bowa
WPTheLegend - VitaFB
I do meth not match (octo) ESFB
Chum - Nec
Snatch - EsBlizz

We noticed something seems odd about the Blizzer's damage in this tournament. even with the same resistances that we used in D2LOD (allowed via rules) he was doing 3 times more damage per hit (600+), aka 2 hitting Nec, 3 hitting ama. will try to figure it out over the coming weeks what happened there. Will call in the blizz God to obliterate a tournament in order to determine if there is a difference between D2LOD and D2R or whether the issue is facets.

This post was edited by ferdia on Apr 1 2022 01:47am
Apr 2 2022 03:40pm
6th Tournament - Winner - Ferdia - Barb

7 Players
Ferdia - Barb
WPTheLegend - VitaFB
I do meth not match (octo) ESFB
Chum - Nec
Snatch - EsBlizz
Nupper - Bowa
ThisDonger - Mage