d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Books & Literature > Tolkien - The Similarion
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,455.00
Feb 13 2022 07:48pm
Hi,

I was always a huge fan on Tolkien's creation. The sheer amount of details and background around every characters is insane. So, when I learned his son was going to regroup his lost letters and make a book with it...

I'm 40 pages in and....BY GAWD! I think I need a dictionary to read. I do love it though. Anybody else has the same headache?
Gold: 1.00
Mar 11 2022 02:04pm
Yes. On my first read when I was younger I completely quit it. Then came back to it later and have read it over twice since then. It was the first book (that wasn't for school or anything) where I actually took notes reading..
It is pretty insane how a chapter here or there can tell a story about something that happened over a week or a lifetime while other small paragraphs can cover an entire century plus. And all the names names names names names thousands of names, alternate names redundant names compound names.. For christ sake "Lorien" was a Vala in the 1st age, the name of a physical place (aka lothlorien) in the 3rd age and I believe the name of an elf too in some age?

It covers 3 ages and doesn't necessarily need to be read in order. Think it almost like a bible (Ainulindale being like genesis itself) more than one long novel.

Bookmark the index, maps and family trees to easily jump to while reading. Don't dwell too much on not being able to digest it all on your first read as you go. Just enjoy it.

I read the Silm right after hobbit/LOTR/short stories as well. But honestly if I could redo it all I think I would read Children Of Hurin first. The stand alone book of it. The story is however also all inside the Silmarilliion too during the first age (in a little less depth though I think).

I prly jsut gave you more of a headache :D

This post was edited by Qwuazar on Mar 11 2022 02:07pm
Go Back To Books & Literature Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll