d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev1211821192120212121224262Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 63.45
Warn: 30%
Feb 2 2023 10:47am
Prox1m1ty hypocrite war loving domination alliance is like changing his ava/sig as much as sick in da head transgenders perturbated teenagers from san francisco change their sexual id

anyone surprised ? nope

This post was edited by Melatonina on Feb 2 2023 10:47am
Gold: 0.00
Feb 2 2023 10:49am
why our government takes decisions who could potentially make us enter in a war? all of this without agreement of his people.

Gold: 4,400.67
Feb 2 2023 10:50am
Quote (Djunior @ 2 Feb 2023 16:12)
It's very simple. Russia exports (fossil) energy and it can find other buyers even though that provides some challenges.

Might be true when it comes to oil, but definitely not true when it comes to natural gas. Also note that one of your favorite talking points about LNG being inherently more expensive than pipeline gas cuts both ways - in the future, when Russia sells its oil and coal to India or Africa, the high transportation costs apply too, meaning that Russian fossils lose a big chunk of their competitiveness on the world markets.

The EU still needs tons of fossil fuel that it was getting for cheap from Russia and now the EU has no other option than paying a lot more for the same stuff.

TTF futures, one of the leading indicators of gas prices in Europe, are now lower than they were 1 year ago, before the start of the war:
https://www.theice.com/products/27996665/Dutch-TTF-Gas-Futures/data?marketId=5508663&span=2

Yes, due to the higher shipping costs, gas prices in Europe will never come back down to the super cheap levels they had before mid-2021, but "cheap-enough" is feasible and all the talk about the "inevitable deindustrialization" of Europe is vastly exaggerated.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Feb 2 2023 10:50am
Gold: 44,456.19
Warn: 10%
Feb 2 2023 10:53am
another debate - The 2022 Holberg Debate w/ John Mearsheimer and Carl Bildt: Ukraine, Russia, China and the West
im in the John Mearsheimer camp, you mght consider watching this, its 2 hours long, fair warning. i accept most people here are not going to change their positions, but it worth watching, noting both positions are verbalised here, i mean, its a debate after all.
Gold: 0.00
Feb 2 2023 11:30am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Feb 2 2023 05:50pm)
Might be true when it comes to oil, but definitely not true when it comes to natural gas. Also note that one of your favorite talking points about LNG being inherently more expensive than pipeline gas cuts both ways - in the future, when Russia sells its oil and coal to India or Africa, the high transportation costs apply too, meaning that Russian fossils lose a big chunk of their competitiveness on the world markets.

TTF futures, one of the leading indicators of gas prices in Europe, are now lower than they were 1 year ago, before the start of the war:
https://www.theice.com/products/27996665/Dutch-TTF-Gas-Futures/data?marketId=5508663&span=2
https://i.imgur.com/2xBwBWw.jpg

Yes, due to the higher shipping costs, gas prices in Europe will never come back down to the super cheap levels they had before mid-2021, but "cheap-enough" is feasible and all the talk about the "inevitable deindustrialization" of Europe is vastly exaggerated.

yeah you know what happened on 26 september? Explosion of Nordstream ... by who?? where europe buy gas now...? :rolleyes:
Gold: 18,902.19
Feb 2 2023 11:31am
Actual News:
Joe Biden Offered Vladimir Putin 20 Percent of Ukraine to End War: Report

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/joe-biden-offered-vladimir-putin-20-percent-of-ukraine-to-end-war-report/ar-AA1727Wd
Gold: 4.91
Feb 2 2023 11:32am
Quote (ferdia @ Feb 2 2023 12:53pm)
another debate - The 2022 Holberg Debate w/ John Mearsheimer and Carl Bildt: Ukraine, Russia, China and the West
im in the John Mearsheimer camp, ^Dunjior you mght consider watching this, its 2 hours long, fair warning. i accept most people here are not going to change their positions, but it worth watching, noting both positions are verbalised here, i mean, its a debate after all.

Watched this a little while ago, I'd also recommend it. I was and am still in the Mearsheimer camp but I did find Bildts arguments well thought out and in line with the popular western thinking regarding Ukraine.

It did make me consider the European perspective on this more seriously, being in Canada I'm quite far removed from this, so it can be easy to downplay the feelings of people who are closer to the conflict and who have more on the line.
Gold: 18,902.19
Feb 2 2023 11:40am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Feb 2 2023 03:06pm)
This is not how this works. The EU is not automatically being hit harder (in absolute terms!) just because its economy is bigger. It might well be, but it's not a given.

For the record: I'm not a fan of the economic war the West has unleashed on Russia, and the energy sanctions in particular were just moronic. This does not, however, imply that Russia will come out unscathed, that Europe will be economically ruined, that Russia is outright "winning" the economic war or whatever else the Kremlin talking point of the day is.

----------------------------------------------------

The economic war weakens us both compared to China and the US. We are US' partners. Whoever is the geopolitical advisor of white house is a huge idiot. They basically accelerated US and EU's downfall. Russia HAS to ask China for support. We've got no leverage over them anymore.
No sane person ever claimed that Russia will be so ruined that their people will end up literally starving on the streets. :rolleyes:
Also, if there's one lesson history told us, it's that the weak are hit harder by crises than the strong. There definitely is no automatism that you lose more the more you have.

To name just one example, look at the way the West was able to flex its financial muscle to buy up LNG from around the world and thus mitigate the impact of Russia closing the gas tap. Because we were strong, we were able to soften the impact on ourself and force weaker nations (Sri Lanka, Pakistan etc.) to shoulder some of the burden which was meant for us. Or look at how low skill workers are the first to be laid off during a recession and the last ones to be rehired once the recession is over.

-------------------------------------------------------

Standard of living in Russia isn't high to begin with. Their people are going to "cope" just like they did after soviet Russia fell apart. Our people don't even know how it is to live in subpar standards.

The West didn't instigate the Iranian revolution. The West installed a corrupt ruler to do his bidding (the Shah) which led to the revolution, so it carries a hefty amount of moral guilt. But still, it was the Iranian people themselves who either genuinely supported the theocratic extremism of Khomeini, or got duped by him like all those female students who were ardent supporters of the revolution until they realized that the new regime would turn them into oppressed second-class citizens.

Leaving them to themselves without any means to defend was the same as a sentence. Imagine Ukraine without the western support..

That's not actually true. China suffered from centuries of cultural and technological stagnation until they were hopelessly lagging behind the Western world, followed by 2 centuries of decline, chaos, misery and humiliation. In 1950, China was one of the poorest nations on the entire planet, worse off than many African nations. The reason China was able to bounce back is their sheer size and their embrace of market-based economics, not some "inherent cultural strength". Italy hasn't been on top of Europe or the world for over 1800 years.

It's true, western nations stole everything possible from India and China. That was the advantage of gunpowder and acquired higher technological standpoint. All of that can be traced back to renaissance in 16the century. Even gunpower was invented by Chinese. Most of the fruits or vegetables come from China or Americas besides the berries native to Europe. Clothing style with pants is also derived from there. What you see right now is the erosion of the cultural, material and technical advantage gunpower and later atom bombs provided. They'll be back on the table and we won't be able to do anything about it because they're numerically superior.
About Italy, they're interesting in the sense that when shit will go down the drain at some point, they're going to be the place where Europe will stand up again.
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Feb 2 2023 02:58pm)
Right... And by falling apart you mean the highest living standards of anywhere, ever in recorded history?

Its all relative.

Dude, Scots were really good warriors at some point and that's it. Most of your history is all about famines on an Island or being subjugated by Anglosaxons. You guys literally escaped to US to have a life at all.

Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Feb 2 2023 02:58pm)
I think what he is saying is Russia's economy is brutally undiversified. Sure the gas station might sell drinks and snacks, but when 60% of your state budget comes from selling gas/oil.
Thats a problem.

They don't give two fucks about diversity. I can tell you why: you can't miss something when you don't know how it'd be if you had it. They never had high standards, they aren't going to miss anything.
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Feb 2 2023 05:50pm)

https://i.imgur.com/2xBwBWw.jpg

We permanently pay higher prices for the same goods, our industrially made products are going to cost more, they're going to be less competitive in an already very competitive world market. We've got 0 leverage on Russia through economical means. But wait, Russia is going to suffer losses, too? What do I care about what happens over there?

This post was edited by babun1024 on Feb 2 2023 11:50am
Gold: 4.91
Feb 2 2023 11:58am
Quote (babun1024 @ Feb 2 2023 01:40pm)

About Italy, they're interesting in the sense that when shit will go down the drain at some point, they're going to be the place where Europe will stand up again.

Could you expand on this a bit? Sounds interesting but I don't know enough about Italy to understand
Gold: 127,418.50
Feb 2 2023 12:04pm
Quote (babun1024 @ Feb 2 2023 05:40pm)
Dude, Scots were really good warriors at some point and that's it. Most of your history is all about famines on an Island or being subjugated by Anglosaxons. You guys literally escaped to US to have a life at all.

What are you talking about Scots for? Why you mad?

Do yourself a favour and do some research, I'll assist you.
https://www.scotland.org/about-scotland/culture/scottish-inventions
Try and live a single day of your life, without using something invented by a Scottish person. Then let me know how that is :D

Anyway your posts are rambling nonsense about how terrible the west is and how its collapse is imminent; Maybe you can switch the lights off if your the last one alive?
What's more the Great Famine was in Ireland... Then again historical accuracy won't be that important as the West lies in rubble.

This post was edited by Prox1m1ty on Feb 2 2023 12:11pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1211821192120212121224262Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll