d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Low Level Dueling > Insight Bows
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 190.50
Jan 25 2022 10:48am
Quote (joshd21 @ 25 Jan 2022 09:37)
Insight A1 merc a significant option.

Freezing arrow/Insight could be fun for a sorc =) I was looking at barb merc for sorc now with the battle cry addition. But Freezing arrow might be nicer depending on which type of sorc/playstyle
Gold: 733.00
Jan 25 2022 10:51am
Quote (Belarathon @ Jan 25 2022 11:48am)
Freezing arrow/Insight could be fun for a sorc =) I was looking at barb merc for sorc now with the battle cry addition. But Freezing arrow might be nicer depending on which type of sorc/playstyle

a5 barb benefits more from enchant than a2, right?
Gold: 190.50
Jan 25 2022 11:25am
Quote (WereWolf12345 @ 25 Jan 2022 11:51)
a5 barb benefits more from enchant than a2, right?

I guess so, haven't looked at base AR numbers. But a1 merc would mostly be there for the freezing arrow crowd control and any ctc procs you slap on her (and/or medi from insight), so the actual damage they output is not a big deal (making attack rating not as important). With the barbarian merc again, a main purpose is the battle cry + tanking capabilities however they also have the added benefit of being able to apply crushing blow at full strength, so the attack rating would be useful here. Of course, with a sorceress, the crushing blow is not as useful since you have static field. It's still good though.

Overall, it will kind of come down to what you are looking for out of the merc to compliment your playstyle. Unfortunately, due to the most OP merc weapons being polearms (infinity and reaper's toll), they haven't done much to change the end-game merc setups. Elemental will still want infinity merc and physical will still want might/decrep merc. But they have added some good options for leveling on the way, before you character is op enough to afford these luxuries. A good source of CC is very important going into Hell in terms of self-found walkthroughs/hardcore. One good thing is that while the a2 mercs will still be superior in almost all end-game scenarios, they have made the other mercenaries at least useful/no longer total jokes, so if people want to use them for style they aren't completely missing out on merc support.

I'm personally wanting to make a nova/hydra sorc to do a legit walkthrough with buddies in the new patch. It will just be a walkthrough until Hell Baal, so I don't expect to find anything like double ber for Infinity. This will be the perfect scenario to check out either the freezing arrow insight bow merc, or the battle cry a5 barb. Of course, if I were to continue and do a ton of runs and try to "perfect" the character, it would end up with the same old infinity a2 merc.
Gold: 5,346.00
Jan 25 2022 11:44pm
Quote (WereWolf12345 @ Jan 23 2022 11:06pm)
insight having no atk speed, youll be stuck on 10 fpa with 30 gear ias (its 9fpa for ashwood, 8fpa with up'd rogues). with insight, you need a twitch to reach 9fpa (but that alone will sacrifice more dmg than the bow give you).

the fire dmg will also reduce your dmg to the mdr bug from soe (and vmagi for casters). +6 crit strike oskill is nice, but bowzon already having high crit strike levels will only give a marginal dmg increase.

all in all, i think its a cool & cheap bow if you dont mind having 11% slower attacks, but i dont think it'll be an uncontested best-in-slot. the fact that its arguable is a good thing though. the medit aura could be a nice addition to your team for spammy TvT's (or would allow you to use higher dmg rings/amulet/circ without mana on them).

chu-ko-nu insight (-60wsm) on a shaper might be a thing though O.O especially if wias isnt the only way to increase wolf atk frames anymore.

Pleasant to read, thanks :)
Go Back To Low Level Dueling Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic