d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > Site Suggestions >
Poll > Blocking A Person
Prev123
Closed New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 481.99
Jan 28 2022 08:02pm
Here's an analogy: Think of 1st amendment auditors in public buildings. Unless they are impeding foot traffic or being disorderly, they have every right to record (there is no expectation of privacy in public). You can block the user (create a restricted area where they cannot go to), but you can't violate their rights or kick them out of a public building (a forum).

If they are disorderly and breaking a law (a forum rule), the police (moderators) will handle them. There comes a point in the equilibrium where the amount of flaming a problematic person does, will eventually be handled by the moderators (trespassed)

This analogy is reaching because jsp is a private entity, however, I think the comparisons work pretty well. That's my 2 cents

This post was edited by ChocolateCoveredGummyBears on Jan 28 2022 08:03pm
Gold: 55,160.97
Jan 29 2022 01:02am
Quote (ChocolateCoveredGummyBears @ Jan 28 2022 09:02pm)
Here's an analogy: Think of 1st amendment auditors in public buildings. Unless they are impeding foot traffic or being disorderly, they have every right to record (there is no expectation of privacy in public). You can block the user (create a restricted area where they cannot go to), but you can't violate their rights or kick them out of a public building (a forum).
If they are disorderly and breaking a law (a forum rule), the police (moderators) will handle them. There comes a point in the equilibrium where the amount of flaming a problematic person does, will eventually be handled by the moderators (trespassed) This analogy is reaching because jsp is a private entity, however, I think the comparisons work pretty well. That's my 2 cents

You're not blocking them from a section of this website.
Just your own personal topics.

Quote (Rhino @ Jan 24 2022 10:09pm)
Absolutely

:bouncy:

Quote (lagunalight @ Jan 28 2022 08:38pm)
great ideas Drael.. I fully agree

:baby:

It seems to me that the only concern that persists is:
That people would " abuse " this to avoid addressing a good point during an argument.
Here is a simple solution: Add a note showing users
who have posted on the topic that were blocked by its creator.

It would be less subtle than what I imagined since people would probably slam the topic creator if it wasn't justified,
I dont think its necessary (and would save some work to the admins), but I would rather not rephrase something I already stated
or have to introduce countless notions to be able to explain how allowing people to "set limits" is at the core of human relations.

On another point:
If the discussion* matters most, people will eventually change the narrative and indubitably become more rational about their interactions.

This post was edited by Drael on Jan 29 2022 01:18am
Jan 30 2022 02:44am
Bump
Feb 1 2022 02:07am
Bump
Gold: 175,564.87
Feb 1 2022 04:12pm
I think it works very well as its implemented now, if you run into issues pm the appropriate staff member.
Gold: 1,344.00
Feb 2 2022 07:46pm
Quote (ChocolateCoveredGummyBears @ Jan 15 2022 03:57am)
  • You cannot send a friend request to this user because they have you blocked.
    You cannot send a friend request to this user because you have them blocked.
  • You cannot link this profile because they have you blocked.
    You cannot link this profile because you have them blocked.
  • You cannot quote this user because they have you blocked.
    You cannot quote this user because you have them blocked.
  • You cannot reply to this user's thread because they have you blocked.
    You cannot reply to this user's thread because you have them blocked.

Something like this?

This a thousand times please.

My block list right now is used as a black list really, I list people there that I know I shouldn't interact with, with the reason and try to check it often enough.
Of course people with whom you have a grip generally won't try to contact you, but sometimes they don't pay attention, sometimes I won't, and I end up having to abort a transaction at the last moment when he posts in thread wondering wtf is happening and I have to answer "I blocked you because you were a dumb fuck and I forgot it was you, transaction is a no no, sorry not sorry." and then we end up both wasting time.

And no, moderators aren't always enough. They're only humans after all.

This post was edited by Meuhg on Feb 2 2022 07:47pm
Feb 2 2022 08:48pm

Quote (Meuhg @ Feb 2 2022 08:46pm)
This a thousand times please.

My block list right now is used as a black list really, I list people there that I know I shouldn't interact with, with the reason and try to check it often enough.
Of course people with whom you have a grip generally won't try to contact you, but sometimes they don't pay attention, sometimes I won't, and I end up having to abort a transaction at the last moment when he posts in thread wondering wtf is happening and I have to answer "I blocked you because you were a dumb fuck and I forgot it was you, transaction is a no no, sorry not sorry." and then we end up both wasting time.

And no, moderators aren't always enough. They're only humans after all.

Quote (Halomaster2255 @ Feb 1 2022 05:12pm)
I think it works very well as its implemented now, if you run into issues pm the appropriate staff member.

It goes without saying: People should be able to set their own limits just as they would in person. You can and Will walk away from an unstable person.

Here though, there are no limits. Every tool can be used by these individuals to abuse another user.
Nobody has the time or wish to gather everything these individuals do against them, catalog an irrational behavior and
Maybe get enough for a med/mod to even Consider taking action. In the unlikely scenario that they do take action,
it will be against both users. Meaning: the person will resent the other individual even More after getting sanctioned
They already know who they're after... The why often eludes everyone (including the abuser), but the whom is clear to them so you
will remain at the back of their mind until they find an opportunity to try to get back at the user. Its all very fascinating, but incredibly stupid.

Let them do some introspection. Allow them to grow on their own.

Feb 5 2022 09:07pm
Bump
Feb 7 2022 06:42am
Bump
Feb 9 2022 06:47am
Bump
Go Back To Site Suggestions Topic List
Prev123
Closed New Topic New Poll