d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Starting A Pc Upgrade
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 28,151.00
Jan 14 2022 03:40pm
Looking to finally upgrade my PC.

Usage: I want to run 3+ copies of D2R and I don't want 30 seconds to 2 minutes load screens. Goddamn with this brick I am using now is going to die any minute I swear.

My plan:
I will probably re-use some of these parts, not looking to pay the crazy scalper prices for a new GPU so going to re-use the one I have and shop used marketplaces, etc, and upgrade that down the line if I can find anything nice aka anything worth the price.
For now, I might reuse the case, it is an absolute monstrosity but I will definitely want to size down to a mid-tower in the near future. But also depending on what I spend might upgrade now too
I already have an AMD Ryzen 3 3100, so my plan is to switch to an AMD chipset motherboard, and again down the line upgrade to an AMD Ryzen 5/7 or something, again this is something I'll probably look to snipe a good deal on a used marketplace in my area.

A couple of notes:
I do not like RGB.
Good airflow is more important than what the case looks like.
I still want a case with a window and PSU shroud though.
I am open to cheaper alternatives, I am very much out of the loop on hardware these days. Especially if the cheaper alternatives are better.

Would like to hear more about good CPU Coolers, Motherboards, Memory, and Storage (Especially Storage, M.2, etc. what's a good price/brand)

This is my current fart box:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bbbYPV

This is what I am looking to upgrade first:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/VVFkvf

The case, I will probably upgrade to a little afterward.
Should I upgrade the cooler now?

The potential End:
CPU: Looking to upgrade to an AMD Ryzen 7
CPU Cooler: Haven't looked yet.
Memory: 2x 16GB DDR4-3600 is probably good enough, and can always upgrade to 4x
Storage: Looking to upgrade to 2x (buying 1 for now, but will eventually get a second, 1 for games and 1 for OS, media, random shit, work, IDE's, blah blah blah)
GPU: ??? I am open to suggestions on what to shop around for.
Case: Good airflow? GG
PSU: I mean, what I have now is still good right?

This post was edited by BearOnDrugs on Jan 14 2022 03:48pm
Gold: 2,971.74
Trader: Mediator
Jan 14 2022 04:33pm
tbh your current build is decent, i wouldn't bother stepping into an amd just for the socket (looks like that's what you're doing as an intermediate step? i believe their new socket is coming out this year, so probably not the best idea)

you could just replace your gpu, get more ram (cheap off ebay, under $80 im sure), could upgrade your storage at any point, too. gpu suggestions: 3060 / AMD 6600 RX
i have a: Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh Performance case, it's the best airflow case I've ever had.

then once you have the money saved or when the new AMD socket comes out juice up with a new cpu/motherboard

psu should still be fine
cpu cooler can be reused if you kept the other mounting kit for amd socket, don't need to upgrade it

i should add that d2r load screens will always exist, and they're still going to be generally 10-15 seconds (blizzard actually made a statement about this somewhere and how it's necessary to have atm)

This post was edited by Candyzcanes on Jan 14 2022 04:58pm
Jan 14 2022 05:30pm
Quote (Candyzcanes @ Jan 14 2022 05:33pm)
tbh your current build is decent, i wouldn't bother stepping into an amd just for the socket (looks like that's what you're doing as an intermediate step? i believe their new socket is coming out this year, so probably not the best idea)

you could just replace your gpu, get more ram (cheap off ebay, under $80 im sure), could upgrade your storage at any point, too. gpu suggestions: 3060 / AMD 6600 RX
i have a: Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh Performance case, it's the best airflow case I've ever had.

then once you have the money saved or when the new AMD socket comes out juice up with a new cpu/motherboard

psu should still be fine
cpu cooler can be reused if you kept the other mounting kit for amd socket, don't need to upgrade it

i should add that d2r load screens will always exist, and they're still going to be generally 10-15 seconds (blizzard actually made a statement about this somewhere and how it's necessary to have atm)

Definitely, something to consider. Thanks, man.
Unfortunately, my current MOBA doesn't support the m.2 style of storage, so would need to stick with the SATA connection
It also only supports up to DDR3 for RAM, but I guess finding some cheap used DDR3-2xxx+ or something would probably be a noticeable difference

as for the cooler, I didn't even think of that, I definitely do not still have to kit for the AMD socket, so will need to replace that as well if I make the jump.

As for the load screens, yes they will exist, but as of now, my load screens are absurd. I am not joking when I say I have had many 1+ minute load screens. (I will double down and say it again, it is absolutely absurd)

I will check out your case though, and do some research on the new socket release. If you have some good sources I wouldn't mind being pointed in the right direction. (for the new AMD release, that is)

This post was edited by BearOnDrugs on Jan 14 2022 05:35pm
Gold: 3,902.50
Jan 15 2022 02:33am
I would recommend 32 gb instead of 16 if you want to run 3x d2r
Also 500 GB ssd instead of 250
Jan 15 2022 12:53pm
Quote (Vongola @ Jan 15 2022 03:33am)
I would recommend 32 gb instead of 16 if you want to run 3x d2r
Also 500 GB ssd instead of 250

That is my current PC build you are looking at, from 2013 Sir.
The build under it was what I am thinking to switch to (wondering if it is worth the switch)
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll