d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Vaccination Question
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 400.50
Warn: 10%
Jan 11 2022 09:24am
So with previous vaccinations they introduce the dormant virus and when introduced to your immune system, you develop the antibodies. The issue is when the virus mutates and a new strain is introduced, example influenza, those antibodies are no longer effective and require an entirely new vaccine. Because influenza, like COVID, is an upper respiratory viral infection it carries the status of a "super spreader" making the effort towards herd immunity futile when the population doesn't commit. With an MRNA vaccination, from my understanding, it more or less teaches your immune system to recognize and attack the proteins on the COVID cell, which is the protective layer, and once attacked it more or less kills the remainder of the cell. Given the Omicron variant is running rampant and, for example, of the 19k or so additionally infected in Ohio, 55% of such were vaccinated and boosted, is it possible the MRNA vaccine may only be effective on the original strand much like the standard vaccinations? I'm looking for reading material into this and so far I'm not finding much. Prefer articles in both support and not in support so I can draw my own conclusion.
Gold: 445.00
Jan 11 2022 03:37pm
I mean you already have science telling people to get the vaccine in the wake of Omicron. So, if you are looking for articles (in either direction) to draw your own conclusions then you are already doing it wrong.
Trust the science or don't. But don't kid yourself into thinking you have an idea what your are talking about because you Google'd an article.

This post was edited by ROM on Jan 11 2022 03:43pm
Gold: 294.90
Jan 11 2022 06:58pm
Quote (ROM @ Jan 11 2022 04:37pm)
I mean you already have science telling people to get the vaccine in the wake of Omicron. So, if you are looking for articles (in either direction) to draw your own conclusions then you are already doing it wrong.
Trust the science or don't. But don't kid yourself into thinking you have an idea what your are talking about because you Google'd an article.

The problem with trusting the science is that the science isn't in. We still don't even understand flu vaccines completely... In the last few years views on the flu vaccine have changed drastically, while it was always assumed that vaccination was effective for 6-12 months, now we're considering the real effective range to be more like 2-3 months. Which means the flu vaccine does not even get you through flu season and supplemental vaccination is starting to be suggested for at risk populations halfway through the season.

Unfortunately, it seems like this is also true for COVID vaccination. COVID, like all coronaviruses, evolves much slower than influenza due to genomic proofreading processes which make it very difficult for new mutations to take hold in coronaviruses. None of the current COVID variations are different enough to require work on new vaccines. What is actually happening, most likely, is that vaccination effectiveness is fading in a significant portion of the vaccinated population.

You don't need a new vaccine, you need to be vaccinated again. They're calling them "boosters" but that's misleading because it implies that what you need now is different than what you needed back then. It's just another dose. To maintain maximum effectiveness people need to be vaccinated 4-6 times a year, most likely. Unfortunately this is unrealistic and possibly unsafe.

Problems like these are being obfuscated by the politicalization of science, which has increased drastically throughout the pandemic. "Trust the science", for example, is a political slogan, not a scientific precept. Trust is a concept completely inconsistent with the scientific method.

You don't have to trust anyone who proves their claims, and you can't afford to trust anyone who doesn't.

This post was edited by Shadowoffury on Jan 11 2022 06:58pm
Gold: 0.00
Jan 11 2022 08:41pm
Quote (Shadowoffury @ Jan 11 2022 06:58pm)
The problem with trusting the science is that the science isn't in. We still don't even understand flu vaccines completely... In the last few years views on the flu vaccine have changed drastically, while it was always assumed that vaccination was effective for 6-12 months, now we're considering the real effective range to be more like 2-3 months. Which means the flu vaccine does not even get you through flu season and supplemental vaccination is starting to be suggested for at risk populations halfway through the season.

Unfortunately, it seems like this is also true for COVID vaccination. COVID, like all coronaviruses, evolves much slower than influenza due to genomic proofreading processes which make it very difficult for new mutations to take hold in coronaviruses. None of the current COVID variations are different enough to require work on new vaccines. What is actually happening, most likely, is that vaccination effectiveness is fading in a significant portion of the vaccinated population.

You don't need a new vaccine, you need to be vaccinated again. They're calling them "boosters" but that's misleading because it implies that what you need now is different than what you needed back then. It's just another dose. To maintain maximum effectiveness people need to be vaccinated 4-6 times a year, most likely. Unfortunately this is unrealistic and possibly unsafe.

Problems like these are being obfuscated by the politicalization of science, which has increased drastically throughout the pandemic. "Trust the science", for example, is a political slogan, not a scientific precept. Trust is a concept completely inconsistent with the scientific method.

You don't have to trust anyone who proves their claims, and you can't afford to trust anyone who doesn't.

I think most people go to a walgreens/cvs/walmart etc etc store more than 6 times a year. How is it unrealistic exactly?

Oh right it's not you just didn't actually try to problem solve any of this and just parrot ignorance.

No "trust" in science? You for real? You pray before turning on your car? or do you just assume the engineers knew what they were doing and care free do it? Mmmhmm
Jan 11 2022 09:09pm
Quote (Shadowoffury @ Jan 11 2022 07:58pm)

Just because there are advances in understanding it does not make what was previously known wrong or what is currently known the most right.
So, no. The science is in and people have been told. And even still you have people waiting for the "science to be in" or "articles against" or some other form of confirmation bias.

This post was edited by ROM on Jan 11 2022 09:17pm
Jan 11 2022 10:56pm
Quote (Subwoofer @ Jan 11 2022 09:41pm)
I think most people go to a walgreens/cvs/walmart etc etc store more than 6 times a year. How is it unrealistic exactly?

Oh right it's not you just didn't actually try to problem solve any of this and just parrot ignorance.

No "trust" in science? You for real? You pray before turning on your car? or do you just assume the engineers knew what they were doing and care free do it? Mmmhmm

I know how an internal combustion engine works, and I've seen them work at least a hundred thousand times. Applicability and relative safety of this technology has been proven to me(and you and almost everyone else in the world) beyond any reasonable doubt. There is no trust required.

You may trust something because you're too lazy to figure out how it works. That doesn't mean that science requires trust, it just means that you're lazy and comfortable in ignorance.

Going to walgreens six times isn't the problem, obviously... The problem is demonstrating safety of sustained vaccination and also in actually producing, maintaining and administering two billion doses of the vaccine every year(that only covers the us population).

Quote (ROM @ Jan 11 2022 10:09pm)
Just because there are advances in understanding it does not make what was previously known wrong or what is currently known the most right.
So, no. The science is in and people have been told. And even still you have people waiting for the "science to be in" or "articles against" or some other form of confirmation bias.

I'm confused about your argument, if you want to clarify I'll be happy to respond. Are you disagreeing with something specific that I said?
Jan 11 2022 11:19pm
Quote (Shadowoffury @ Jan 11 2022 10:56pm)
I know how an internal combustion engine works, and I've seen them work at least a hundred thousand times. Applicability and relative safety of this technology has been proven to me(and you and almost everyone else in the world) beyond any reasonable doubt. There is no trust required.

You may trust something because you're too lazy to figure out how it works. That doesn't mean that science requires trust, it just means that you're lazy and comfortable in ignorance.

Going to walgreens six times isn't the problem, obviously... The problem is demonstrating safety of sustained vaccination and also in actually producing, maintaining and administering two billion doses of the vaccine every year(that only covers the us population).

I'm confused about your argument, if you want to clarify I'll be happy to respond. Are you disagreeing with something specific that I said?

Do you now? What's the compression ratio of your car and why does it matter?

What type of gear ratio in your transmission?

How many bolts for your main crank?

The list goes on and on and on of stuff you probably don't actually know about a combustion engine sitting in your driveway let alone a indy car engine.

I'm a mechanic and I can tell you that every time i've put a valve in I didn't run down to my own lab and test the metal it's made from or from or start a rally about how it "might be" a micron off.

You are being intellectually dishonest and you know it.

This post was edited by Subwoofer on Jan 11 2022 11:34pm
Jan 11 2022 11:49pm
Quote (Subwoofer @ Jan 12 2022 12:19am)
Do you now? What's the compression ratio of your car and why does it matter?

What type of gear ratio in your transmission?

How many bolts for your main crank?

The list goes on and on and on of stuff you probably don't actually know about a combustion engine sitting in your driveway let alone a indy car engine.

I'm a mechanic and i\I can tell you that every time i've put a valve in I didn't run down to my own lab and test the metal it's made from or form a rally about how it "might be" a micron off.

You are being intellectually dishonest and you know it.

No, you're being intellectually dishonest. It seems like you're purposely conflating the science behind internal combustion with the construction of a particular engine, and even the reliability of the metal a particular part is made of...

The science of internal combustion is sound. So sound that it has worked for literally billions of people every single day for decades lol where's the trust you're talking about? It's PROVEN to be safe and effective hundreds if not thousands of times every single day to me specifically, and I'm not a mechanic.

If you want to talk about vaccines tho lmk
Jan 12 2022 06:30am
Quote (Shadowoffury @ Jan 11 2022 11:56pm)

This.

Quote (Shadowoffury @ Jan 11 2022 07:58pm)
The problem with trusting the science is that the science isn't in.

No discussion needed.
Jan 12 2022 08:11am
Quote (Shadowoffury @ Jan 11 2022 11:49pm)
No, you're being intellectually dishonest. It seems like you're purposely conflating the science behind internal combustion with the construction of a particular engine, and even the reliability of the metal a particular part is made of...

The science of internal combustion is sound. So sound that it has worked for literally billions of people every single day for decades lol where's the trust you're talking about? It's PROVEN to be safe and effective hundreds if not thousands of times every single day to me specifically, and I'm not a mechanic.

If you want to talk about vaccines tho lmk

Oh god you don't think engineering is science.......I see the problem here.

Now let's get on to how small picture brains like you confuse yourself when trying to think out of your league. Not an insult just how ignorance works.

Wanna know what the biggest proof of internal combustion engines being one of our largest failures? Climate change.

You can't think past whats directly in front of your face enough to see what's actually going on. This mindset is toxic and defensive and offers ZERO USEFUL RESULTS for everyone.
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll