d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Need Fan Help
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 322.00
Dec 30 2021 11:17am
I'm using a MSI ge63 raider laptop. It has 2 fans. The second fan in the upper right hand corner near the power outlet started making a loud noise when it turns on. It turns on when I use D2R.

So I took the back off and air dusted the fans. They were pretty dirty. It didn't help. So I ordered 2 replacement fans and they will arrive January 4.

My question is do you think I'm ok to play the game with the loud noise or could it break something. Temps on CPU/GPU havent gone above 70s.

Also since this started this morning the game hits laggy spikes. Could the fan issue be causing something to happen to the GPU?

Gold: 2,971.74
Trader: Mediator
Dec 30 2021 12:41pm
prob bad bearing in the fan then? should most likely be fine id just be monitoring temps, but if it's catching and stopping spinning entirely then i would wait for your new fan as it could be shorting out your board
Gold: 3,361.37
Dec 30 2021 03:55pm
Sounds like possible throttling to bring temps down, causing lag spikes.

Are you actively checking temps? How are you doing so? Best would be OSD/overlay without alt-tabbing out.
Dec 30 2021 04:06pm
Quote (WWI @ Dec 30 2021 04:55pm)
Sounds like possible throttling to bring temps down, causing lag spikes.

Are you actively checking temps? How are you doing so? Best would be OSD/overlay without alt-tabbing out.

I use MSI dragon center it shows me the temp for cpu gpu and the rpms of fans. Looks like the second fan stays quite when i use classic graphics.

I couldnt take the fans out even though I followed along with a specific video for my laptop. The heat sink copper tube section seems connected to the mother board. I unscrewed it all.

I've since put it back together and cancelled the fans since I cant get old fans out.

This is a video of my laptop and a guy showing you how to get fans out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPY4gVy1BxQ
Dec 30 2021 04:28pm
Looks fairly straightforward, each fan has 3 screws, push out and replace. I've done the same with plenty of older laptops.

Old/re-used thermal compound or faulty thermal pads could also cause issues, always replace the thermal compound when you remove the heatsink and inspect the pads.
Dec 30 2021 04:36pm
Quote (WWI @ Dec 30 2021 05:28pm)
Looks fairly straightforward, each fan has 3 screws, push out and replace. I've done the same with plenty of older laptops.

Old/re-used thermal compound or faulty thermal pads could also cause issues, always replace the thermal compound when you remove the heatsink and inspect the pads.

Yeah I took all the screws out and when I went to pull it up it's is almost as though its super glued to the mother board. I kept rewatching and re checking screws . I didnt want to pry it up and crack something.

I bought it brand new so I know no one else has pulled it up before. Probably just gonna have to ride this out until March to get a new laptop.

I've had it for 2 years and never dusted it so I probably broke something from not cleaning it.
Dec 30 2021 05:10pm
Probably the thermal compound acting like cement, it happens; because this happens, I've actually ripped PGA cpu's out of their sockets while pulling off heatsink(s), bending pins as a result.

Fans give out and thermal compound needs to be re-applied occasionally, it's not something the normal end-users are going to know about.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll