d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Need Help With Booting From M.2 Drive
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 266.00
Nov 29 2021 10:40am
Hello all,

Motherboard MSI X470 GAMING PLUS Max
NVMe M.2 SSD Samsung 970 EVO Model MZ-V7E500

I am a bit of a seasoned PC builder but since this is my first time working with the M.2 drives, it's really driving me up a wall here.

I was able to successfully piece the computer together and install Windows 10 onto the M.2 drive, the M.2 drive was set as the primary UEFI device to boot from and it worked great for about a month, then one morning when booting the PC would not boot into windows. The normal bios diagnostics come up, but when the bios tries to pass off to the M.2 drive, the screen just shows black and the windows logo never appears. I tried to restore the default bios settings and reconfigure the M.2 drive as the primary boot device, but the computer continues to show the black screen.

Next, I updated the BIOs to the latest revision, but it did not help and still get the same result above.

I thought maybe Windows was corrupted, so I put in the USB windows media and reinstalled Windows 10. Everything installed just fine and it booted to the windows desktop. I removed the USB windows media and rebooted the computer to still get the same black screen after the bios.

Is the M.2 drive faulty in this case? Maybe I need to search for a firmware update for the m.2 drive.
Gold: 2,858.20
Nov 29 2021 12:54pm
Hi there Rekp,

Seems to me your M.2 is giving out, I've seen this issue occur several times and the root cause is usually hardware failure.

This should still be covered in warranty.

I recommend updating the m.2 firmware, or even reinstalling it, if the issue persists after this then pursue the replacement option.

-Krawk
Nov 29 2021 12:56pm
Quote (Krawk @ Nov 29 2021 01:54pm)
Hi there Rekp,

Seems to me your M.2 is giving out, I've seen this issue occur several times and the root cause is usually hardware failure.

This should still be covered in warranty.

I recommend updating the m.2 firmware, or even reinstalling it, if the issue persists after this then pursue the replacement option.

-Krawk

I have tried reseating it, and this did not help. Tried to update the firmware but it's already at the newest available firmware. Perhaps you are right and it's a faulty M.2 drive.
Gold: 796.00
Nov 29 2021 01:59pm
Quote (Rekp @ Nov 29 2021 01:56pm)
I have tried reseating it, and this did not help. Tried to update the firmware but it's already at the newest available firmware. Perhaps you are right and it's a faulty M.2 drive.

did you delete all the partitions before/when reinstalling?
Nov 29 2021 04:24pm
Quote (purplex @ Nov 29 2021 02:59pm)
did you delete all the partitions before/when reinstalling?

Yes i deleted all partitions before having the windows installer create them.

I decided to order another SSD and replace it, I'll follow up with the results
Dec 4 2021 03:40am
Just a followup here:

Bought a new M.2 NVMe SSD, a newer Samsung model, and everything just works great now after installing Win 10.

Krawk, thanks for the help here. I wasn't sure if it was the SSD or not since I have never had this strange issue happen before, and happy it's now resolved. I appreciate your expertise!
Gold: 2,858.20
Dec 4 2021 04:58pm
Quote (Rekp @ Dec 4 2021 04:40am)
Just a followup here:

Bought a new M.2 NVMe SSD, a newer Samsung model, and everything just works great now after installing Win 10.

Krawk, thanks for the help here. I wasn't sure if it was the SSD or not since I have never had this strange issue happen before, and happy it's now resolved. I appreciate your expertise!

Really happy to hear this man and no worries glad I can help! Shoot me a pm if you need help with something else.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll