d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > Path of Exile > The Poe Player/economy Theory
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 49,416.01
Oct 22 2021 01:06pm
Hello! Welcome to my theory post.
1. I am just talking about things from "MY" perspective.
2. I would appreciate that you hold your reaction until you've been able to write a few paragraphs detailing your gaming experience and then go into what evidence or thoughts you have.
3. I appreciate the time you've taken to even read until #3.

Background
I am a former Diablo 2 player starting from patch 1.08 until patch 1.13b (roughly the years 2000 to 2011).
I have seen the rise and fall of White rings, Occy gloves, Wizardspike gloves, "Ith" Runewords, 90/90/90 Hex small charms.
I witnessed the start of spirit swords, enigma, and the creation of the Ladder/Runeword economy which irrevocably shaped the Diablo 2 market and experience.

I am also a Diablo 3 player - I have played all previous seasons and remember the "good" version of Diablo 3 where we had to chest farm in order to get blue weapons to actually kill in the "hell" difficulty - since previous to the creation of the Torment difficulties we have grown to learn and love.

I am also a Path of exile - Self-proclaimed "Dedicated Casual Try-Hard" - Starting off watching POE closed beta with Kripparian in 2012 and I have played every path of exile league since. I remember when challenges for leagues consisted of 8 challenges and there was weekly races that people competed in.
During my post-graduate studies (2012-2021) I was both completing a Doctoral Program, in addition to reaching level 100 (twice), and routinely hitting 36/40 challenges completed for many leagues - in a row.

The Player Base Theory - My perspective
I have noticed a big difference between the Diablo and Path of Exile community.
Mainly - Path of Exile players are "addicted" - as in they spend lots of time farming, grinding, killing mobs - both efficiently and inefficiently. The point being is that they care more about racking up Monsters killed in order to obtain items found. The experience of the game play is the addiction, it is the fun, it is "the grind" which makes us a dedicated "try-hard" type of player base (which I love and respect).

The Diablo 2 players that I have encountered during Diablo 2:resurrected are still the same player base from 2000 to 2008-2011. These players claim to grind, but really farm mephisto 5-10 times and complain that they haven't found a shako, vipermagi, or high rune yet.

The Diablo 3 players are the ones that talk about loving Diablo 2, but they actually still don't know how to progress from act 1 normal to act 5 hell - they struggled to understand and overcome immunities and they have likely quit or struggled (even 4 weeks into the D2:R fresh economy).

The Economic Theory
When the Path of exile player base decided that it was time to quit the Diablo 2:Resurrected grind in favor of the TRUE Diablo 2.5 game - Path of Exile - we knew that we wanted to sell off our items because the REAL / TRUE Grinding game was going to be starting today - Scourge League. Being a real "Ladder/Season/Leaderboard" to mark our dedication to grinding and game play progression

I have enjoyed how much the Path of Exile player base has been able to disrupt and shatter the prices of items on the Diablo 2:R forums as the prices of high runes and items have significantly changed - some items even "tanking" in value.

Final Remarks
I know that this occurred because the Path of Exile - dedicated try-hards announced their "retirement" of Diablo 2:R in order to start POE Scourge League and I am proud to see more Exile in Wraeclast later today/tonight.
What is left of the Diablo 2:Resurrected economy is due to the result of Path of Exile grinders deciding to get back into Wraeclast instead of Sanctuary.
Gold: 0.00
Oct 23 2021 01:48am
Much love and respect for sharing your perspective. Interesting read :)
Go Back To Path of Exile Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll