d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Desktop Issues
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 50.00
Oct 20 2021 06:12pm
Mobo: GA-AB350M-DS3H
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
GPU: Radeon RX 580
PSU: CX650M Corsair (Original was a 550W)
RAM: F4-2133C15S-8GIS

With this setup, my PC will VERY RANDOMLY (Maybe 1x every two weeks) shut down and fans go to 100% speed and stay that way until I force shutdown with power button. All USB Ports / Video Inputs go out like the PC is shut down but its in this locked state until I force it to go down.

Bigger issue; I attempted to upgrade my RAM by ordering a set of TPRD48G2400HC16BK. Once I put these in (removing the old RAM) the PC will do this every day, usually 3-4x a day.

First thing I tried was to remove the heat sinks on both the CPU and GPU and reapply the thermal paste (Did not look terrible, but did it anyways). Then I swapped my PSU to a higher one. Now, this 1x every two weeks is annoying but manageable so I swapped back and it is more stable. But I can't figure out why this is happening. Hoping to find some answers other than the CPU or GPU, as I don't care to spend the money to do that atm, and since the old ram fixes MOST of the issues, it seems it might not be those. Thoughts?
Gold: 2,858.20
Oct 21 2021 12:44am
Hi 3oD!

Hope all is well and sorry to hear about your computer issue, first thing I would do is grab logs on Event Viewer, look for the time that this occurred and post any anomalies here.

Second, I would reset your bios settings back to default, I’ve seen the bios affect this a few times and resetting it back to default usually does the trick

Third, the next time this happens, are you able to view your processes? (Ctrl+alt+delete)? Is there any process that randomly spins up and causes a spike in CPU usage? If so does it look familiar? Try to check the next time this happens and grab the name.

Fourth, do a quick virus scan, I’ve seen some viruses cause this but we can look into this later.

If all else fails, reformat your machine (probably the quickest way to rule out if software is causing this)

Hope this helps!

-Krawk
Gold: 50.00
Oct 21 2021 05:54am
Quote (Krawk @ Oct 21 2021 02:44am)
Hi 3oD!

Hope all is well and sorry to hear about your computer issue, first thing I would do is grab logs on Event Viewer, look for the time that this occurred and post any anomalies here.

Second, I would reset your bios settings back to default, I’ve seen the bios affect this a few times and resetting it back to default usually does the trick

Third, the next time this happens, are you able to view your processes? (Ctrl+alt+delete)? Is there any process that randomly spins up and causes a spike in CPU usage? If so does it look familiar? Try to check the next time this happens and grab the name.

Fourth, do a quick virus scan, I’ve seen some viruses cause this but we can look into this later.

If all else fails, reformat your machine (probably the quickest way to rule out if software is causing this)

Hope this helps!

-Krawk

Event viewer doesn’t display anything conclusive. Just unexpected shutdowns.

I have reset the CMOS on a couple occasions, initially and after I swapped SSS and installed a new OS.

The shutdown can happen anytime, even while my PC sits idle over night. So grabbing process information is a no go, as it’s sporadic.

Do routinely do scans, anti virus, malware ect.

As stated previously I have installed a new OS on a new SSD as well.

Thanks for the info thus far though!
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll