d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Question For A Friend
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Oct 15 2021 09:45am
My buddy has an (apparently) older gaming desktop that has a PC Chips p23g motherboard ( i did research and oof..)

He installed the hard drive from another computer into it because it doesnt have one

The computer will turn on but it doesn't display anything through the screen

I assume this is because of a hard drive/motherboard/OS communications issue correct?

Meaning he'd have to wipe/buy a new hard drive; and then reinstall the OS for the desktop to work?

thanks in advance..
Gold: 760.00
Oct 23 2021 02:18am
I doubt that the hard drive would prevent the screen from displaying anything. When you boot without a harddrive it will still show something on the monitor, usually something like "Boot device not found, please insert boot device" etc..

So look into resetting the CMOS. Different mobos will use different methods so research that model to find the exact location / method for your buddy's computer.
Unplug power cable, then hit power button one or two times to clear capacitor's residual charges.
Either remove the BIOS Battery, reset CMOS jumper, or both, unplug harddrive and then plug power in and boot computer for a few seconds. Shut down, unplug power and hit power button to cycle juice out of the capacitors, then reconnect everything and boot up. BIOS should be in default and monitor may work then.
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll