d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > First Javascript Project
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5,006.00
Sep 1 2021 08:49am
Quote (WeAreTheBorg @ Aug 31 2021 05:44pm)
Unwillingly, I have been doing tons of interviews for all levels in web development in past few months, front-end and full-stack so I can give you few good ideas.

There is a set of tasks that I've been giving candidates on each level. They have week or two to do this, and with this way I can filtrate candidates easily.
I will not provide the same task, or documentation but I will try to give you an example of skillset you might need if your aim is to get a job in web development (front-end).
If you manage to complete it, and fully understand each part that you have coded - I am sure most of the companies would gladly take you as inter/junior level.

Task for front-end:Build a Pokemon website where user can select their favourite pokemon. Sound easy but for someone new this is a lot of work, trust me:

Mandatory:1) Use Pokemon API to fetch the data
2) There should be search functionality (preferably without button)
3) You can select/deselect your favourite pokemon and your favourite ones will show up on home page
4) Make the site responsive (use grid)
5) Each pokemon card should contain name and a picture
6) Upload your code to github with instructions how to run it

Not mandatory (Bonus points):1) Pagination

Some FAQ you might need: -You don't need any database, use local storage for favourites
-You can use HTML / CSS / Javascript / ReactJS (if you want).
-For styling, use only CSS, do not use frameworks like bootstrap etc
-Pokemon is just random idea, you can use whatever you want if there is API (for example, you can work with Final Fantasy characters because of your sig, but not sure if there is good API for that)

I agree with this, once you can do this on your own and understand all of these concepts, you're in a great spot. I disagree with only allowing ReactJS though, I think user should be able to pick framework of their choosing. Probably also allowing SCSS. My two cents.

edit: As a very first project though, probably recommend a basic todo list. Very common.

This post was edited by RyanRuler on Sep 1 2021 08:50am
Gold: 169.00
Sep 1 2021 09:59am
Quote (RyanRuler @ Sep 1 2021 04:49pm)
I agree with this, once you can do this on your own and understand all of these concepts, you're in a great spot. I disagree with only allowing ReactJS though, I think user should be able to pick framework of their choosing. Probably also allowing SCSS. My two cents.

edit: As a very first project though, probably recommend a basic todo list. Very common.

It should be written ReactJS (or any other framework Vue, Angular..., if you want).
I saw the mistake now I re-read it, but I am unable to edit it. Thanks for pointing it out, you are right.
Gold: 11,996.69
Sep 1 2021 10:53am
I like Angular because it uses Typescript and allows you to code in a similar way you would code a class in Java.

There’s a tutorial called Tour Of Heroes you can follow on the Angular official website.

This post was edited by moutonguerrier on Sep 1 2021 10:53am
Gold: 5,006.00
Sep 1 2021 12:31pm
Quote (moutonguerrier @ Sep 1 2021 11:53am)
I like Angular because it uses Typescript and allows you to code in a similar way you would code a class in Java.

There’s a tutorial called Tour Of Heroes you can follow on the Angular official website.

I personally use Angular too. We are the minority lol.

You guys try Svelte yet? Great experience.

This post was edited by RyanRuler on Sep 1 2021 12:31pm
Gold: 0.00
Sep 2 2021 10:14am
Soo, just an update on my learnings.. I'm currently learning about anchoring nested links etc, and I'm on like lesson 2 of HTML5 on Codecademy, I'm taking it slow, but I'm also keeping notes on everything.
Sep 3 2021 06:08am
Is there a place I can use to show code to others online? Rather than just my own private server? Like, so if I script something I can show it to you guys?
Sep 3 2021 07:06pm
Just got to making tables.. it's really confusing with the rows/columns.. anyone else get confused? -_- ~ is this normal to get confused, or if I'm struggling now should I just stop? I'm having fun.. just it's a curve, I guess.
Gold: 36.00
Sep 3 2021 11:10pm
Quote (Smellybandaid @ Sep 4 2021 01:06pm)
Just got to making tables.. it's really confusing with the rows/columns.. anyone else get confused? -_- ~ is this normal to get confused, or if I'm struggling now should I just stop? I'm having fun.. just it's a curve, I guess.

If you’re referring to HTML tables, I wouldn’t stress. No one really uses these anymore since layout is much better controlled with things like flex and grid
Sep 4 2021 09:44am
Alright, cool. Thanks fro the input.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll