d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > First Javascript Project
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Aug 30 2021 09:01am
What should I build for my FIRST java/html/css project? Taking insight/feedback!
Gold: 3,578.00
Aug 30 2021 03:27pm
First lesson, never say java when you mean javascript

Also. A calculator
Gold: 11,996.69
Aug 30 2021 07:08pm
a website for a small store business
single product or very limited number of products
and no user session possible, no order system

pages can be
main, services/products, about, contact …
Aug 30 2021 11:03pm
I'm actually curious also about building a very simple forums system, any advice?
Aug 31 2021 12:47pm
Hmm, looks like Javascript might need to take back seat to understanding HTML5/CSS, if I'm going to pursue web development. True?
Gold: 169.00
Aug 31 2021 04:44pm
Unwillingly, I have been doing tons of interviews for all levels in web development in past few months, front-end and full-stack so I can give you few good ideas.

There is a set of tasks that I've been giving candidates on each level. They have week or two to do this, and with this way I can filtrate candidates easily.
I will not provide the same task, or documentation but I will try to give you an example of skillset you might need if your aim is to get a job in web development (front-end).
If you manage to complete it, and fully understand each part that you have coded - I am sure most of the companies would gladly take you as inter/junior level.

Task for front-end:
Build a Pokemon website where user can select their favourite pokemon. Sound easy but for someone new this is a lot of work, trust me:

Mandatory:
1) Use Pokemon API to fetch the data
2) There should be search functionality (preferably without button)
3) You can select/deselect your favourite pokemon and your favourite ones will show up on home page
4) Make the site responsive (use grid)
5) Each pokemon card should contain name and a picture
6) Upload your code to github with instructions how to run it

Not mandatory (Bonus points):
1) Pagination

Some FAQ you might need:
-You don't need any database, use local storage for favourites
-You can use HTML / CSS / Javascript / ReactJS (if you want).
-For styling, use only CSS, do not use frameworks like bootstrap etc
-Pokemon is just random idea, you can use whatever you want if there is API (for example, you can work with Final Fantasy characters because of your sig, but not sure if there is good API for that)

This post was edited by WeAreTheBorg on Aug 31 2021 04:44pm
Aug 31 2021 05:15pm
I know pretty much next to nothing, very much so a novice. I don't know if I could pull that off within the given time frame. I actually started doing the HTML class of Codecademy today, next I will be doing CSS, then Javascript.
I feel like that will give me a grasp on the basics, and I can move into more technical things.
The problem i ran into was that when I looked at tutorials and things they were "created" for those who had a better grasp of the basics, so that's why I leaned on learning the very basics first.

This post was edited by Smellybandaid on Aug 31 2021 05:16pm
Gold: 169.00
Aug 31 2021 06:10pm
Quote (Smellybandaid @ Sep 1 2021 01:15am)
I know pretty much next to nothing, very much so a novice. I don't know if I could pull that off within the given time frame. I actually started doing the HTML class of Codecademy today, next I will be doing CSS, then Javascript.
I feel like that will give me a grasp on the basics, and I can move into more technical things.
The problem i ran into was that when I looked at tutorials and things they were "created" for those who had a better grasp of the basics, so that's why I leaned on learning the very basics first.

Of course you won't be able to finish it in that time frame. I pointed that out just as an info what you will expect once you learn it. Don't worry about it even if it takes you a year. You will learn tons of stuff.
People who are applying for intern/junior roles and should be capable of solving it in that time frame are usually CS students or self learners who have been learning 3-6+ months.

Are you just starting with software development or do you have any prior experience?

At the moment, do you have trouble grasping 1) or 2) or both?

1) Fundamentals and terminology of programming:
-loops (for, while etc)
-data types (string, boolean, int, etc)
-data structures ( arrays, lists etc)

2) Fundamentals of web development only (for this, you should know everything under 1))
-APIs
-HTTP protocols and methods (how things work, GET/POST/PUT etc)
-Misc stuff (cookies, sessions, dev tools etc)
-How to start and combine whole ecosystem for development (server, IDE, git etc)
Aug 31 2021 09:08pm
Another argument I have been seeing is which is better? Codecademy vs Udemy?

Edit: I also learned about "TOP" - The Odin Path.

This post was edited by Smellybandaid on Aug 31 2021 09:10pm
Aug 31 2021 09:29pm
Quote (WeAreTheBorg @ Aug 31 2021 07:10pm)
Of course you won't be able to finish it in that time frame. I pointed that out just as an info what you will expect once you learn it. Don't worry about it even if it takes you a year. You will learn tons of stuff.
People who are applying for intern/junior roles and should be capable of solving it in that time frame are usually CS students or self learners who have been learning 3-6+ months.

Are you just starting with software development or do you have any prior experience?

At the moment, do you have trouble grasping 1) or 2) or both?

1) Fundamentals and terminology of programming:
-loops (for, while etc)
-data types (string, boolean, int, etc)
-data structures ( arrays, lists etc)

2) Fundamentals of web development only (for this, you should know everything under 1))
-APIs
-HTTP protocols and methods (how things work, GET/POST/PUT etc)
-Misc stuff (cookies, sessions, dev tools etc)
-How to start and combine whole ecosystem for development (server, IDE, git etc)

Yeah, I've been researching a lot, probably more than I've coded.. it's daunting, but I'm super excited to get into it.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll