d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > 50-100 Years From Now
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 195.00
Aug 14 2021 05:12am
Speculations on how it’s going to look? Scary how fast time flies and how technology is evolving.

Robots
Mars
Cars
Green
Etc…

Gold: 260.11
Aug 14 2021 10:21pm
I think a lot of our current technologies will have leveled off. For instance AI will be used, but probably won't be world changing the way we think it will. However it will make things more efficient and that efficiency will compound.

Green energy will be more widespread and will likely outstrip our energy needs. We'll have so much capacity we will be able to do things like CO2 extraction, which we can then turn back to fossil fuels and use as fuel for things like rockets. This will hopefully make things like high-speed high-atmosphere travel (like Elon Musk wants to have) economically feasible.

Cars will have assistive AI, that will be able to take over during long boring stretches of road, and will have alerts to tell you when to take over because it isn't going to work. Like during city traffic or if there's something coming up it might not recognize. Fully autonomous cars are unlikely to ever exist, but they will get good enough to handle the bulk of highway traffic and make commuting more bearable for most people.
Gold: 2.66
Aug 15 2021 08:36am
Mind Transfer Technology
Using Clones for organ transplants
harvesting dark energy
laser guns
external womb - babies won’t need a woman’s uterus.
displacement travel
palm pc - Computers small enough to fit on your hand, does many functions. but replaces smart phones, pcs, and tablets.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 22 2021 09:55am
huge dumbing down
mass inoculation
DARPA and other weponry
Bioservalience
less rights for more false "securities"

or a big awakening to a new golden age

we are on the cusp of this decision imo
Gold: 12,730.67
Aug 23 2021 06:51pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Aug 14 2021 09:21pm)
I think a lot of our current technologies will have leveled off. For instance AI will be used, but probably won't be world changing the way we think it will. However it will make things more efficient and that efficiency will compound.

Green energy will be more widespread and will likely outstrip our energy needs. We'll have so much capacity we will be able to do things like CO2 extraction, which we can then turn back to fossil fuels and use as fuel for things like rockets. This will hopefully make things like high-speed high-atmosphere travel (like Elon Musk wants to have) economically feasible.

Cars will have assistive AI, that will be able to take over during long boring stretches of road, and will have alerts to tell you when to take over because it isn't going to work. Like during city traffic or if there's something coming up it might not recognize. Fully autonomous cars are unlikely to ever exist, but they will get good enough to handle the bulk of highway traffic and make commuting more bearable for most people.

Strongly disagree with that. AI already has more collective hours "driving" than humans and will continue to be better. I'm pretty sure that AI is already superior to humans in a lot of situations simply because AI is exposed to a lot of obscene situations that we'd never see.
Gold: 260.11
Aug 23 2021 07:15pm
Quote (thundercock @ Aug 23 2021 07:51pm)
Strongly disagree with that. AI already has more collective hours "driving" than humans and will continue to be better. I'm pretty sure that AI is already superior to humans in a lot of situations simply because AI is exposed to a lot of obscene situations that we'd never see.

I think that cars will likely be more efficient with AI during the "boring" parts of driving. Long stretches of uneventful highway. It will only become practical for city use after the vast majority of cars or even 100% of cars are also AI. The real challenge is that driving requires predicting what stupid humans will do and accounting for that. So you've not only got the issue of recognizing and modeling what's around you, but also the issue of having to model stupid human brains doing the same. We can do that because we have stupid human brains.

I think AI is going to be use-case specific, with general intelligence never really existing. So like, we will have an AI that assists doctors in reading charts to highlight risks, but probably not an AI that can adequately listen to patients on its own and key into difficult details, like when the patient is likely withholding information and how to account for that or probe for that information in a sensitive fashion. So you'll still have doctors interviewing patients and entering data, but the AI will help interpret the chart, test results, etc. etc.

This post was edited by NetflixAdaptationWidow on Aug 23 2021 07:17pm
Gold: 12,730.67
Aug 23 2021 09:00pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Aug 23 2021 06:15pm)
I think that cars will likely be more efficient with AI during the "boring" parts of driving. Long stretches of uneventful highway. It will only become practical for city use after the vast majority of cars or even 100% of cars are also AI. The real challenge is that driving requires predicting what stupid humans will do and accounting for that. So you've not only got the issue of recognizing and modeling what's around you, but also the issue of having to model stupid human brains doing the same. We can do that because we have stupid human brains.

I think AI is going to be use-case specific, with general intelligence never really existing. So like, we will have an AI that assists doctors in reading charts to highlight risks, but probably not an AI that can adequately listen to patients on its own and key into difficult details, like when the patient is likely withholding information and how to account for that or probe for that information in a sensitive fashion. So you'll still have doctors interviewing patients and entering data, but the AI will help interpret the chart, test results, etc. etc.

I'm pretty sure that several car companies are already "better" than humans when it comes to the boring parts. They already get in fewer accidents per 100,000 miles driven than humans. You should read up on how Waymo trains their vehicles because they add some pretty crazy simulations (i.e. how to drive in a blizzard during an earthquake with Libyans chasing you with machine guns). Waymo has 20 million miles of driving experience on public roads and 20 billion miles in simulation.

I agree that general AI has a very long way to go. When I was in grad school, the holy grail for AI was computer vision and NLP. Since then, we've made some substantial strides and it's to the point where AI is competitive with humans with those types of tasks. Within 20 years, it would not surprise me if computers became better at those tasks.

As for the original topic, I think the real strides are going to be with manufacturing processes. I think in 50 years, we'll be able to create new organs on the fly, repair spinal injuries, etc. I don't think we'll be able to repair the brain though.
Gold: 2,489.69
Aug 24 2021 11:32am
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Aug 23 2021 08:15pm)

the actual hurdle is getting humans to accept that not only do AI reaction times reduce accident compared to human drivers (even in crowded cities), but also that a baseline of unavoidable accidents are acceptable.

AI even currently without cross vehicle AI is likely safer than the average driver, mostly because they suck.
Gold: 12,797.00
Warn: 20%
Aug 26 2021 05:11pm
i agree with thor about general AI never really existing, about cars i have no idea honestly :unsure:

ive noticed though that flynn effect is an illusion, people in reality are getting dumber. i think the premise of idiocracy is completely correct, that in an abundance of resources the r strategy simply prevails as the better one and the winners are simply the ones who breed the fastest. i guess in the next 50-100 years we will have an iq drop so i expect a social collapse never seen before in history. that will again turn people to the K strategy and things will eventually get better, but that will take a lot of time as evolution currently favors lower intelligence :unsure:
Gold: 200.00
Oct 13 2021 02:15pm
50 years from now will probably be when we "actually" land people on mars. i feel our technological pace is slowing down a lot. just look at how long and delayed the James Webb telescope is.
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll