d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > Path of Exile > Strategy & Guides > Start This Game In 2021
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 30,956.74
Aug 9 2021 07:43am
Hello guys, nice to meet you.

I'm a Diablo II player and I'm going to play D2resurrected very soon when they release.
I don't use to play games to much, but I saw that Path of Exile got lot of players and there are many traders.

I downloaded the game but I think it's very hard!
Do I need lot of times to understand how to play this game?

Thanks!
Gold: 366.70
Aug 10 2021 10:04am
I promise you won't be anywhere close to mastering before d2r comes out. Just try it
Gold: 30,956.74
Aug 10 2021 10:06am
Quote (Transparentsin @ Aug 10 2021 06:04pm)
I promise you won't be anywhere close to mastering before d2r comes out. Just try it

I will trust you mate :)

Where can I look some tutorial? it's very hard!
Gold: 366.70
Aug 10 2021 10:45am
Quote (TheSiggard @ Aug 10 2021 10:06am)
I will trust you mate :)

Where can I look some tutorial? it's very hard!

Pick your favorite exile and try a few of the starting gems. Google it
Gold: 132.00
Sep 3 2021 11:26pm
Late but I'd just suggest starting on some rando character, throw some stuff together, and slowly figure out what you do and don't like. That'll lead you to a playstyle super fast, and you can just look up a build for whatever you wanna do. It's not easy to make a build work as a newbie, so using a pre-made build is usually best to start off.
Gold: 1.93
Sep 3 2021 11:37pm
I can help you with anything you need, look for support gems that work with the skills you are using and link them together, the tags at the top of the gem will tell you if they are compatable and if you highlight a gem that is socketed the gems it is working with will light up.
Pm me any questions you have i am happy to help.
Gold: 50.00
Sep 25 2021 02:06pm
PoE is like billions years ahead of any Diablo. Diablo game have no end game, you farm gear for nothing. While PoE you farm to get further and do multiple "difficult" encounters. You'll enjoy it. Also don't have to pay 40$ for a 20 years old game.
Gold: 111,474.00
Oct 8 2021 02:17am
Quote (CopyNPaste @ 25 Sep 2021 22:06)
PoE is like billions years ahead of any Diablo. Diablo game have no end game, you farm gear for nothing. While PoE you farm to get further and do multiple "difficult" encounters. You'll enjoy it. Also don't have to pay 40$ for a 20 years old game.

Disclaimer: I am a big time Diablo II fan. I hate Diablo III. I think Path of Exile is a good game but ultimately do not feel like I am the target audience since many aspects of it puts me off - I still play and enjoy the occasional league start.

Diablo III definitely has an end game, and a more competitive one at that. However the PoE one is way more compelling, that I agree.
PoE however also suffers under a systems bloat and upgrades feel less rewarding because you're essentially chasing the carrot on the stick.
In PoE you also get to a point where everything on your screen just explodes when you hit a button, making the game much less strategic.
Virtually no build achieves this in D2 but to say the game doesn't get trivial once you achieve good gear would also be dishonest - they both suffer under that.
Diablo II is still the vastly superior game when it comes to simply killing monsters in dark dungeons and getting meaningful and impactful upgrades and satisfies that itch of being able to achieve "best in slot".
Also Diablo II has a PvP scene, despite never actually trying to build around it past a PvP flagging system. PoE had arenas and an entire matchmaking system and never got that kind of traction.
PoE certainly has a lot going for it on the account of it being a newer gamer that can draw from its predecessors (of which D2 was the greatest source of inspiration),
but some aspect Diablo II still does better, and that is why it still has a giant following of people who don't even play PoE.
Also the cosmetic progression in PoE is horrible - and while I understand that in order for it to be free to play you have to have MTX it's still off putting to many.
Especially when it also includes "pay for convenience" which to many at this point is the same as paying to win because you can be so inconvenienced if you don't do it that in reality you're by definition losing at the game,
and an argument for this can definitely be made with PoE and it's plethora of extremely convenient stash tabs.

So while PoE may be "a billion years ahead of any Diablo" in some areas, of the game(s) it drew inspiration from it failed in others.
And while you don't pay 40 dollars for a "20 year old game", you'll end up cashing out way more than that in an 8 year old game that is failing at combating flaws it created in its pursuit to satisfy an ever growing need of character progression.

Conclusion: Both games do things differently and both games have their merits. One game has lasted for 20 years so far, the other has lasted for 8 years. Certainly the market is big enough for both of them to be considered good games and most ARPG players play both of them regardless.

And to get back to topic: As a new player engaging with Path of Exile in 2021 it is evident that it has glaring issues and does a really poor job at reeling in new players due to the sheer amount of convoluted systems that require third party programs, planners, calculation sheets and hours upon hours of reading about mechanics and studying guides, whereas Diablo II is just as ready to simply be picked up and played as always. Sometimes simplicity is an art form and that is one GGG never seemed to master - and it has caused them struggles to this day. I know it's one of those things where the more invested you get in PoE the more you start appreciating the complications but the barrier to entry is just too damn high at this point. I remember back in 2013 when it came out people were gasping at the "spider web" aka the skill tree. At this point that is just the tip of the iceberg. But it's always the same struggle when you're developing a live service game; do you cater to the existing fan base and possibly alienate new players or the other way around? PoE has put off many new players with their approach but kept many veterans satisfied whereas a game like ESO (different genre just an example) has basically lost most of its veteran players nowadays because they insist on catering to the lowest denominator and want to reel in newer players, because that is easier than satisfying existing customers - and more profitable. In that sense I guess I can commemorate Grinding Gear Games for sticking with the direction - BUT more things can be done to help new players along within the boundaries of the existing systems, surely.

EDIT: Also OP I just realized I sold you that 199ed Thundergods the other day - hope its fitting your build. :thumbsup:

This post was edited by Zinaroth on Oct 8 2021 02:21am
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
Add Reply New Topic