d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Books & Literature > Looking For Good Fantasy Suggestions
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,016.00
Nov 3 2021 07:53am
Tamora Pierce Books - Look up her Tortall Series and then read her Circle of Magic books (although these start out with younger kids they grow up, i grew up with the books and they're amazing in my mind).

Garth Nix books - Old Kingdom series - starting with Sabriel (i named my cat after the main person as I loved the name)

I would recommend a ton of fanfiction too, if you're into that sort of thing, I read a ton of Outlander fanfics, Harry Potter fanfics, etc.
Gold: 3,677.00
Dec 19 2021 12:22pm
Sabriel by Garth Nix
Gold: 0.00
Mar 21 2022 12:49am
I love the kingkiller chronicles also. One of the best. Here are a few suggestions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Drum
Written in an older style. I've re-read / re-listened to this book as many times as name of the wind/wisemans fears. A great first person fantasy narrative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Riftwar_Cycle
If I had to pick a series that was on par with Tolkien / LoTR this would be it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stormlight_Archive
Another very strong fantasy series. It jumps between chars a bit too much for my liking but still thoroughly enjoyed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannara
A nice high fantasy setting, the blend of fantasy and post apocalyptic setting is done so well you might read through several books before you completely pick up on it depending where you start in the series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elminster_Series
Looking for wizards? Well I'd go with elminster series over harry potter any day.

The Witcher books are ok if you are a fan of the games, not a huge fan of the writing style.

Also just to drop a few sci-fi fantasy in case you want to try something different.
Daemon/Freedom by Daniel Suarez, also Influx. Daemon/Freedom is about an AI programmed by an mmorpg/fps game creator that takes over the world after his death. Influx is about a secret government organization that controls high technology.
Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. Same guy who wrote The Martian they made the movie about. Its a fairly short book but its about an extinction level event and how a school teacher becomes an astronaut and meets and alien and saves the world. Sounds cheesy but I literally binge crushed this book in less than 48hrs.
Gold: 1.00
May 16 2022 01:41pm
Quote (SBD @ Sep 9 2021 09:42am)
I've read close to 50% and it becomes a bit boring don't you find? The hero's are nearly invincible and its the typical hero formula over and over. Yes you go into some darkness when you read through Wulfgars torture and his eventual falling out with Cattie-brie due to his mental damage causing him to become abusive and closed to the world but other than that its mostly the same formula over and over.

Maybe the issue is I tried to binge the entire book set at once. Honestly I think Homeland and Exile are the best and anything with a large focus on Jarlaxle.

Don't get me wrong though I still went through to The Sea of Swords before I started to fall off and clearly the books are good just to have me binge 13 of them. Definitely worth a shot and if you're already into the D&D world it will be right in your wheelhouse.

Have you read the six book series War of the spider queen yet? Dissolution Insurrection Condemnation Extinction Annihilation Resurrection. Takes place in the same world but can be read separately to the Drizzt series at any point basically.

Quote (AbSoLuTe-VoDkA @ Sep 2 2021 07:44am)
Sounds like you need the legend of drizzt in your life. Scratch that, you need R.A Salvatore in your life. You can thank me later. If magic/witch's/wizards is your thing almost anything written by R.A Salvatore is going to be a must read. There's like 30+ books in the drizzt series now, plus he wrote the cleric quintet

heres a couple books/series of books in the legend of drizzt

book 1: homeland
book 2: exile
book 3: sojourn

These pretty much introduce drizzt to you to say the least. You learn all about him and the dark elves and how badass they are etc. If you trust me you will like these you can read these first which I recommend because idk anybody who doesn't like the legend of drizzt.

if your like well idk if I'm gonna like those books then I have a better place for you to start in the legend of drizzt.

read theicewind dale trilogy which is book 4,5,6 of the legend of drizzt series. I read the icewind dale trilogy first, this was my introduction to the forgotten realms, legend of drizzt, R.A Salvatore, etc. At the time when I found this book there wasn't much else I could do. It was the big book too, all 3 in one not 3 seperate books, I think I read the whole thing 1000+ pages in like 3 days. I'd just like to point out I am not a reader like that. I could not put it down. You will love these books. Actually my signature is drizzt & his panther/''summon'' guenywvar fighting the demon errtu from the icewind dale trilogy lol.

book 4: The Crystal Shard
book 5: Streams of Silver
book 6: The Halfling's Gem

next by R.A Salvatore that has nothing to do with the legend of drizzt but is super badass that I recommend reading. You wouldn't think a cleric is that badass right? You will have a new outlook/view of clerics after reading this book lol. The spells and shit Cadderly pops off, especially towards the end. NOBODY fucks with a cleric. He is like the most badass cleric of all time. Also Ivan and Pikel the dwarves in your party will have you cracking up all throughout the book. Damn man after just recommending you these books I kinda want to give them a read again. Also just like in the Legend of Drizzt its not like always just drizzt an what not you got party members an there all dope as fuck. You fight crazy shit sometimes. The fights and battles are so well described. I don't wana talk to much about any of these books because I don't want to risk ruining or revealing to much to you they are that good.

The Cleric Quintet

there are 5 books in this series (obviously, its a quintet)
1. Canticle
2. In Sylvan Shadows
3. Night Masks
4. The Fallen Fortress
5. The Chaos Curse

Dont waste your time with any other books til you read one of these. They will take no time to draw you in, but like the cleric quintet or the icewind dale trilogy book 1's good, but they keep getting better and better, or crazier and crazier.

Couldn't agree more. Salvatore's D&D take and the world/lore he created is the only "fantasy" that has drawn me in as deeply as Tolkien's work.
Question: When does the war of the spider queen 6 book series actually take place during the Drizzt series? I know you can basically read them at any point but i'm just curious when it would actually be happening in the world's timeframe.

Does it happen sometime around siege of darkness? Isn't that when Lolth begins to forsake the Drow? From what I've found a lot of people say it's wayyy later.

This post was edited by Qwuazar on May 16 2022 01:42pm
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
May 17 2022 07:48am
I would update my list.

The First Law series and the stand-alone books after it but in the same world with some of the same characters easily takes my top fantasy spot. No contest now after also going through some of the stand alones. Read the First Law series first.
Gold: 45,000.00
May 17 2022 11:34am
Melissa McPhail - Check her series out on Audible or order hardback. Fantastic series gets better and better and starts solid.

Also recommend the cycle of arawyn (3 books series) then cycle of garland laughed so hard and gone through these series multiple times
Gold: 1,481.00
May 28 2022 07:21pm
Some of my favorites: Mistborn Series (1-3), The Mortal Instruments, KingKiller Chronicles, Harry Potter

And you haven't read The Wheel of Time yet? That's the series that inspired Brandon Sanderson, the author of mistborn, to become an author! I envy your chance to read it for the first time!
Gold: 0.00
Jun 12 2022 07:08am
Wacraft Lord of the Clans was epic to read for me

I also binged harry potter book 1-3 when they first came out but lost interest and never picked it up again.
I really enjoyed the book lord of the clans and as a warcraft fan (not world of warcraft but wc3 and frozen throne etc) I enjoyed it more.

"Day of the dragon" was also great but I remember lord of clans being better

This post was edited by msk123 on Jun 12 2022 07:09am
Gold: 119.69
Jul 3 2022 06:38pm
MalaZan book of the fallen
Gold: 431.69
Jul 7 2022 01:18pm
Just gonna list some of the recent series I've found and enjoyed:

The Wandering Inn by Pirateaba

Cradle by Will Wight

Full Murder Hobo by Dakota Krout

Wit'ch Fire by James Clemens