d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Ue4 Basics
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,533.37
Trader: Trusted
Jul 16 2021 03:15am
Anyone here done any UE4?

Looking for a Discord teacher :-)
Gold: 4.00
Jul 21 2021 07:32am
Is there a specific reason why you want to learn Unreal?

I ask because there are other alternatives out there that are less bloated and more specific to the type of game you may want to build. For instance, Godot is a much lighter weight game engine for 2D and 3D. Even pygame is a good option especially if you want to learn how to build a simple game from scratch, and to learn how to interact with the legendary SDL library through pygame’s extended Python wrappers.

However, the nice thing about learning a mainstream framework is that the knowledge you gain translates well to other UI-driven frameworks such as Unity. It’s also a desired resume bullet point if you want to work for a studio.

You will at some point need to write some C++, so keep that in mind.

Personally I found using Unity to be much more productive for a single user and then scaling up to working with 2-3 other developers. Both Unity and Unreal are AAA title level of frameworks that scale up to an entire company.

One last thing I will mention is that I totally underestimated the time spent on creating original sprites and levels. I am not an artist at the slightest, so I eventually had to ask a buddy to handle that part.
Gold: 8,533.37
Trader: Trusted
Jul 21 2021 07:48am
Well, mainly because the school I am applying to works with UE4 mostly, and to be able to have the experience in UE4 (and blender) is as I’ve done my research the best merits to have in the industry. My cousin works in DICE gaming (a group in Sweden) and his suggestion was to learn UE4, blender and/or Maya.

My current situation is being quite good at PS/Digital 2D but interested in world design and 3D concept art.

I am not really sure what I want to become or my nische, only that I want to learn different things to actually get to know what I like the most tbh and then start doing that 100%.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it a lot!
Gold: 6.30
Jul 22 2021 01:38pm
I have no knowledge of blender but I may be able to help you with UE4 depending on what you need :)
Gold: 466.99
Jul 22 2021 09:16pm
Quote (r4f @ Jul 21 2021 06:32am)
Is there a specific reason why you want to learn Unreal?

I ask because there are other alternatives out there that are less bloated and more specific to the type of game you may want to build. For instance, Godot is a much lighter weight game engine for 2D and 3D. Even pygame is a good option especially if you want to learn how to build a simple game from scratch, and to learn how to interact with the legendary SDL library through pygame’s extended Python wrappers.

However, the nice thing about learning a mainstream framework is that the knowledge you gain translates well to other UI-driven frameworks such as Unity. It’s also a desired resume bullet point if you want to work for a studio.

You will at some point need to write some C++, so keep that in mind.

Personally I found using Unity to be much more productive for a single user and then scaling up to working with 2-3 other developers. Both Unity and Unreal are AAA title level of frameworks that scale up to an entire company.

One last thing I will mention is that I totally underestimated the time spent on creating original sprites and levels. I am not an artist at the slightest, so I eventually had to ask a buddy to handle that part.

Godot for 3d.. yeah, if you like n64 graphics in 2021

This post was edited by ChocolateCoveredGummyBears on Jul 22 2021 09:16pm
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll