d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Love Line > What Is This Constant Oneupmanship I'm Noticing?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4.00
Jul 12 2021 09:50am
This girl I've been hanging out with shows a noticeable response pattern in almost all types of casual conversations.

At a restaurant that I picked:

Me: "this chicken piccata is pretty good here"
Her: "my uncle makes the best chicken piccata"

While driving on the highway:

Me: "the new 5 series looks pretty cool"
Her: "my friend drives a Maserati and his dad owns a Porsche dealership"

When I return from the gym:

Me: "that was probably one of the best squat days that I've had in a while"
Her: "my trainer friend has a rock solid six pack. it's like running into a stone wall!"

I'm at a point where I just go along with her response and either further the conversation from interest, or just complement whatever she one upped me by.
I've never dated a girl like this before and I was wondering if she was playing some game or if maybe I'm enabling her to respond that way? IDK.

This post was edited by r4f on Jul 12 2021 09:52am
Gold: 476.99
Jul 20 2021 09:09pm
Quote (r4f @ Jul 12 2021 09:50am)
This girl I've been hanging out with shows a noticeable response pattern in almost all types of casual conversations.

At a restaurant that I picked:

Me: "this chicken piccata is pretty good here"
Her: "my uncle makes the best chicken piccata"

While driving on the highway:

Me: "the new 5 series looks pretty cool"
Her: "my friend drives a Maserati and his dad owns a Porsche dealership"

When I return from the gym:

Me: "that was probably one of the best squat days that I've had in a while"
Her: "my trainer friend has a rock solid six pack. it's like running into a stone wall!"

I'm at a point where I just go along with her response and either further the conversation from interest, or just complement whatever she one upped me by.
I've never dated a girl like this before and I was wondering if she was playing some game or if maybe I'm enabling her to respond that way? IDK.

She seems to derive a large portion of her self worth from who she knows and what she perceives they can do for her.

I agree that the context of her words seems like she's channeling them as proxy minions to fuck with you or challenge you in some weird way. Either way, its not appropriate and I think anybody would consider this quite rude on her part to be constantly shitting on you when you mention something you're proud of.

Most people who are well versed socially are going to follow up with a supportive or inquiring comment that revolves around what you just said to them, not try to derail it with examples of how it doesn't compare to whatever impressed them more. I'd move on if this doesn't improve
Gold: 138.69
Jul 30 2021 05:29pm
Quote (LoverManGenius @ Jul 20 2021 10:09pm)
She seems to derive a large portion of her self worth from who she knows and what she perceives they can do for her.

I agree that the context of her words seems like she's channeling them as proxy minions to fuck with you or challenge you in some weird way. Either way, its not appropriate and I think anybody would consider this quite rude on her part to be constantly shitting on you when you mention something you're proud of.

Most people who are well versed socially are going to follow up with a supportive or inquiring comment that revolves around what you just said to them, not try to derail it with examples of how it doesn't compare to whatever impressed them more. I'd move on if this doesn't improve

I pretty much agree with all of this. Once someone reveals this trait I stay away from them as it's something that tends to be hardwired.
Go Back To Love Line Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll