d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Need Internet Issue Help
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 102.54
Jul 8 2021 08:03pm
I currently started a new job where I work from home and use a voice over IP phone system with a work laptop. I have noticed that during my calls sometimes the call goes quiet and I cannot hear the customers for a period of time then it comes back (WiFi issue?). I am connected via WiFi and my download/upload speeds range from 120-400 mbps download to as low as 10-40 mbps download and upload is around 5-20 mbps.

Here is the kicker. I live in an In-Law apartment above my wife's uncles house. We do not have access to the router or main internet source so I cannot plug into the router for a hardwire connection for more stability and faster speeds. I do have an ethernet port in my office but unsure if it works and how to test it.

What are my best options to hard wiring my work computer into the in-law apartment to improve my signal speed and stability? Can I use the ethernet/coax port in my office?

Thank you so much!
Gold: 40,605.01
Jul 9 2021 06:49am
A hardwired connection is more reliable than a wireless connection. The ideal setup to obtain a hardwired connection is to run a CAT5e/CAT6 out of the main router and into the room you're working in. From there, get an un-managed switch and this will allow you to connect your VoIP phone and work computer.

As for the existing Ethernet port in the room, you'd have to speak to someone who's has knowledge on how that was installed or you can run a cable trace test. But, I don't know where the other end would be so you may have to physically trace that wire (break down the wall and see where it goes), or just keep cable tracing every available Ethernet port.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll