d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Github Copilot
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 29.00
Jul 7 2021 02:06am
Anyone here get access to it yet? I am on the waitlist on two different accounts, but I only used these profiles for group projects at uni so I doubt I'll ever get in. I wanted to try it out to learn a new language without having to pour through documentation. It seems like those machine learning autocompletion extensions like tabnine except on steroids. Anyways it seemed like a pretty big deal but ppl stopped talking about it the day after its announcement.
Gold: 11,996.69
Jul 7 2021 05:25am
Never heard of it.
I dont know how you’re supposed to learn a language without its core API documentation…
Gold: 29.00
Jul 7 2021 09:29am
Quote (moutonguerrier @ Jul 7 2021 04:25am)
Never heard of it.
I dont know how you’re supposed to learn a language without its core API documentation…

because you already know the steps to solve a problem except it is in another language. The AI will fill in the details for you. It is not about learning a new language, but about being productive in it without knowing the language. reading through the code it spits out will teach you over time though in the same way checking stackoverflow does
Gold: 4.00
Jul 7 2021 11:33pm
Quote (xavra42 @ Jul 7 2021 08:29am)
because you already know the steps to solve a problem except it is in another language. The AI will fill in the details for you. It is not about learning a new language, but about being productive in it without knowing the language. reading through the code it spits out will teach you over time though in the same way checking stackoverflow does

If what you're describing is true about the stack overflow motivation, then I don't have high hopes for this. From my experience, I've seen stack overflow be used more as a paste-and-forget reference source than a learning platform to grow as an engineer.

Do we really want a breed of new "programmers" who do not take the time to fully understand the code that's been handed to them?
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll