d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Getting New Pc, How To Transfer Data From Hdd?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,221.76
Jun 27 2021 05:50pm
So... I have finally ordered a 5900x online and recently ordered the other parts needed, except a new gpu... I will be using my old gpu until gpus become available again.

But I am confused as to the best way to setup my new pc if I want to use all my old data from my older pc's HDDs.
My old pc has 2 HDDs. One is a 4tb and the other is a 1tb. Both are quite full.

I recently purchased 2 new storage devices, a Seagate IronWolf 8tb HDD and a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 tb SDD.
I believe the Samsung SSD has some decent software for cloning data? Not too familiar with it.

I would like to make the Samsung SSD my main boot drive with windows on it.

So I think I have 2 options, but not sure what is the best?
1) Build new pc with new parts, and then add 2 storage devices from old pc and transfer data somehow after? (Worried having windows 10 installed on my old storage would cause an issue with the new storage having windows 10 on it also?)

2) Install new SSD to old pc and transfer data there, and then build new pc after transferring data this way

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Gold: 150.00
Jun 27 2021 06:02pm
Transfer data to sdd first bruh
Gold: 40,605.01
Jun 28 2021 02:58pm
I don't quite understand what's going where. Is your 4TB and 1TB going into your new 8TB? Whatever the case, I'll add more to the two options you presented.

With option #1, you just need to go into BIOS and make sure your other storage drives are not listed in the boot order.

With option #2, I don't understand this. When you install Windows for the first time, it's going to reformat. So I don't understand where the data is going to even see #2 as an option. Unless you mean to say that you'll use an older storage as the boot storage in the new computer...but you don't exactly say this.
Gold: 8,221.76
Jun 29 2021 09:09pm
Quote (Xet @ Jun 28 2021 04:58pm)
I don't quite understand what's going where. Is your 4TB and 1TB going into your new 8TB? Whatever the case, I'll add more to the two options you presented.

With option #1, you just need to go into BIOS and make sure your other storage drives are not listed in the boot order.

With option #2, I don't understand this. When you install Windows for the first time, it's going to reformat. So I don't understand where the data is going to even see #2 as an option. Unless you mean to say that you'll use an older storage as the boot storage in the new computer...but you don't exactly say this.

so everything is going into my new pc.

But i want to make the 2 tb SSD my boot drive with windows on it. This 2 tb SSD is new and has nothing on it.
BUT my main issue is that the 1 tb HDD is my old boot drive with windows on it. And not sure if I can simply install both into new pc, and then after doing this, then some data to SSD as needed? Since both will have windows on them?

But also the 1tb HDD had all of the "Desktop" files on it from old pc. And wondering how the new pc will read these files if the main boot drive is no longer this HDD? Like I want to keep all the same files from my desktop there.

Thanks again!

This post was edited by noob_whacker on Jun 29 2021 09:10pm
Gold: 40,605.01
Jun 29 2021 09:47pm
So sticking with option #1...you build the new PC and use the 2TB as your boot. You install Win10 on it. After that, shut it down and install the second storage, the 1TB. Make sure you go to BIOS and 2TB is your main boot (or takes priority over the 1TB).

Another way is to install both while you're building the new PC. Before you install Win10, you want to go to BIOS. From there, same step as above, make sure your 2TB is your main boot (or takes priority over the 1TB). Then install Win10 on the 2TB.

Now going with option #2...you build the new PC and install Win10 on the 2TB. You then take the 2TB and move it over to the older PC (and probably need to make sure you go to BIOS and make sure it chooses the right boot drive). Then you can migrate your 1TB into your 2TB. Uninstall the 2TB from the old PC and then install to the new PC.

This post was edited by Xet on Jun 29 2021 09:48pm
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll