d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Comp Is Finally Dieing, Need A New One.
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 40.00
Jun 15 2021 09:20am
So my comp I built in 2013 is finally deciding to kick the bucket. HDD is not recognized at this point, and a few fans are shot (causing some heat issues which id imagine killed the hdd). Will put current setup at bottom of the post.

I mostly use it for games/ web browsing. For the most part I am content with the games my old rig can handle, but I would like to be able to play a flight sim (doesnt have to be the most recent, but with steam I'd imagine I would have access to lots of options), possibly the d2 remake when it comes out, and the new resident evil games which i would imagine would be the most resource intensive series of games im interested in.

So basically - old games a potato can run (original d2 lod, runescape, world of war ships, world of tanks, early command and conquer games such as generals/ red alert 2) any flight sim game so I can use the joystick I bought, and the newest re games.

So there are two routes I am considering.

1. The cheapest prebuilt rig id be able to just flat out buy that is equal to or a slight upgrade from my current rig while still being capable of handling the mentioned games. I do not want to step back from where I currently am in any way.

2. Pulling parts from my current build to save some cash ( possibly ram/ power supply, case, cpu cooler).

My old build was around $1,300 including shipping back in 2013, and honestly I do not want to spend near that amount to basically upgrade to be able to play some resident evil, but like i said, some parts are failing and it is time to atleast put some new life into it. Will stick with windows 7 if doing a build myself.

Current parts https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LexH

*changes made from that list

bumped to 16 gb of ram
case changed to https://www.newegg.com/black-raidmax-super-hurricane-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811156275. Not the best for cable management especially with the oversized psu, so depending on price id be open to changing this.

Obviously would be cleaning reused parts and new application of thermal paste/etc.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Gold: 40,605.01
Jun 16 2021 08:51am
Given the current GPU shortage, I recommend a pre-built computer. Preferably from a company that does not use proprietary parts - companies like iBuyPower, CyberpowerPC, Origin, Maingear, NZXT, etc. Other companies like Dell/Alienware, HP, Lenovo, will use proprietary parts and it restricts the upgrades you can perform over time. The problem I see right now is the pricing. You said you don't want to speed $1300 or close to it for another computer/upgrade, but skimming thru these sites and their options, you'll have to spend a bit more than that.

I believe flight simulator games are CPU heavy, and not GPU heavy. You can get away with Intel i5 or AMD Ryzen5.

The other option is to build/upgrade your own. But you'll have a harder time obtaining a GPU and also fitting within your budget of less than $1300. To try and fit within your budget and if you choose to upgrade, you'll need to upgrade the
CPU (~$300)
Motherboard (~$200)
RAM (~$100)

Maybe you can get away with using the existing CPU cooler (if the mounting brackets work for the new CPU), PSU, and GPU. Getting a new motherboard will most likely force you to buy Win10 (~$110 or buy from other, lesser known sites for extremely cheap).

Another option would be to simply replace the storage (switch to 1TB SSD for ~$110) and continue on.
Gold: 40.00
Jun 16 2021 01:41pm
Quote (Xet @ Jun 16 2021 09:51am)
Given the current GPU shortage, I recommend a pre-built computer. Preferably from a company that does not use proprietary parts - companies like iBuyPower, CyberpowerPC, Origin, Maingear, NZXT, etc. Other companies like Dell/Alienware, HP, Lenovo, will use proprietary parts and it restricts the upgrades you can perform over time. The problem I see right now is the pricing. You said you don't want to speed $1300 or close to it for another computer/upgrade, but skimming thru these sites and their options, you'll have to spend a bit more than that.

I believe flight simulator games are CPU heavy, and not GPU heavy. You can get away with Intel i5 or AMD Ryzen5.

The other option is to build/upgrade your own. But you'll have a harder time obtaining a GPU and also fitting within your budget of less than $1300. To try and fit within your budget and if you choose to upgrade, you'll need to upgrade the
CPU (~$300)
Motherboard (~$200)
RAM (~$100)

Maybe you can get away with using the existing CPU cooler (if the mounting brackets work for the new CPU), PSU, and GPU. Getting a new motherboard will most likely force you to buy Win10 (~$110 or buy from other, lesser known sites for extremely cheap).

Another option would be to simply replace the storage (switch to 1TB SSD for ~$110) and continue on.

Yeah i may try and find a slight upgrade to my gpu. At the time i built this one there were some in the $500 range vs the 350 i spent that I might could find a used one. Honestly when I built it I figured my 120 gb ssd would give out WAY before my hdd would.

But yeah if nothing else, a new ssd/hdd , new fans, a through cleaning, and new thermal paste would likely buy me 5+ more years. As far as flight sim, I would even be ok with something like 08-12.
Gold: 792.00
Jun 17 2021 05:36pm
Quote (skyeye @ Jun 15 2021 09:20am)
So my comp I built in 2013 is finally deciding to kick the bucket. HDD is not recognized at this point, and a few fans are shot (causing some heat issues which id imagine killed the hdd). Will put current setup at bottom of the post.

I mostly use it for games/ web browsing. For the most part I am content with the games my old rig can handle, but I would like to be able to play a flight sim (doesnt have to be the most recent, but with steam I'd imagine I would have access to lots of options), possibly the d2 remake when it comes out, and the new resident evil games which i would imagine would be the most resource intensive series of games im interested in.

So basically - old games a potato can run (original d2 lod, runescape, world of war ships, world of tanks, early command and conquer games such as generals/ red alert 2) any flight sim game so I can use the joystick I bought, and the newest re games.

So there are two routes I am considering.

1. The cheapest prebuilt rig id be able to just flat out buy that is equal to or a slight upgrade from my current rig while still being capable of handling the mentioned games. I do not want to step back from where I currently am in any way.

2. Pulling parts from my current build to save some cash ( possibly ram/ power supply, case, cpu cooler).

My old build was around $1,300 including shipping back in 2013, and honestly I do not want to spend near that amount to basically upgrade to be able to play some resident evil, but like i said, some parts are failing and it is time to atleast put some new life into it. Will stick with windows 7 if doing a build myself.

Current parts https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LexH

*changes made from that list

bumped to 16 gb of ram
case changed to https://www.newegg.com/black-raidmax-super-hurricane-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811156275. Not the best for cable management especially with the oversized psu, so depending on price id be open to changing this.

Obviously would be cleaning reused parts and new application of thermal paste/etc.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

FYI: The PSU is 400w 80+ Platinum rated.

This post was edited by Superman on Jun 17 2021 06:08pm
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll