d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Cold Start And Possible Issue. 1994 Honda Cbr 900r
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.01
Jun 8 2021 04:36am
Title was at max character

A 1994 Honda CBR 900rr fireblade

Ive always wanted a 90s fireblade and decided to buy one fer my 30th birthday.

However, I've only ever had newer bikes which didn't use a choke for starting it up. (Oldest before this was a 05 gsxr 600)

Question one: how long typically should I let it sit when cold starting it up ? Just wait till the idle is smooth and no kinda of chugging sound?

Question two: when it's first started up for the day, it starts to stutter a bit around 6-7k+ rpm when accelerating and isn't a clean acceleration. Like it should be going a lot faster than what it's doing.

The sprockets are new and so is the chain. Valves were just recently adjusted as well.

Maybe carbs need cleaning? Fuel line issue?

Any ideas?
Gold: 1,238.50
Jun 8 2021 09:11pm
Pretty much leave the choke on until the engine can run by itself, its there to help start the engine.

Are you having the stutter problem every first few accelerations of the day?

If its consistently only happening at the very beginning of your rides I would have a look into how long you are letting it idle, are you messing with the idle screw? Etc.

If its stuttering under random accelerations or most of the time I would start looking at plugs, fuel delivery and air.

This post was edited by ReturnOfCar on Jun 8 2021 09:12pm
Jun 8 2021 09:45pm
Quote (ReturnOfCar @ Jun 8 2021 11:11pm)
Pretty much leave the choke on until the engine can run by itself, its there to help start the engine.

Are you having the stutter problem every first few accelerations of the day?

If its consistently only happening at the very beginning of your rides I would have a look into how long you are letting it idle, are you messing with the idle screw? Etc.

If its stuttering under random accelerations or most of the time I would start looking at plugs, fuel delivery and air.

Ya I've gotten much better at cold starting it up!

Is the idle screw the little knob for changing the idle higher or lower?

I'm gonna ask the previous owner about the plugs when they were last changed.

Air filter is brand new and I'm gonna have to watch a yt vid on checking the fuel line.

And it gets a little better after driving it a bit for the day but still stutters around 6-7k+.

Also some gears stutter at different rpms

It's really weird

/E Thanks for the info and help so far

This post was edited by Ruthless187g on Jun 8 2021 09:46pm
Gold: 1,238.50
Jun 9 2021 10:49pm
Yessir that is the idle screw

The carbs on those bikes are a good place to start, especially with what you are saying, but you can’t rule out work done before/timing/ignition etc.

Even if work was done at a reputable place mistakes happen so don’t assume just because something was done it was done right. But if you just got it it’s hard to know what was happening before and after the repairs.

Without having it to diagnose first hand it’s pretty tough to give an accurate solution but depending on how mechanically inclined you are I would start with the carbs and then possibly plugs from there. Again there are a ton of things it could be but hopefully that helps save you some time and money.
Jun 10 2021 12:59am
Quote (ReturnOfCar @ Jun 10 2021 12:49am)
Yessir that is the idle screw

The carbs on those bikes are a good place to start, especially with what you are saying, but you can’t rule out work done before/timing/ignition etc.

Even if work was done at a reputable place mistakes happen so don’t assume just because something was done it was done right. But if you just got it it’s hard to know what was happening before and after the repairs.

Without having it to diagnose first hand it’s pretty tough to give an accurate solution but depending on how mechanically inclined you are I would start with the carbs and then possibly plugs from there. Again there are a ton of things it could be but hopefully that helps save you some time and money.

Ohh for sure on the mistakes on the valves. I'm just figuring if that was done and hopefully done right. I can maybe check out some other possibilities then go back to it.

I haven't gotten a chance to mess with it today but I picked up 4 spark plugs to switch out

I'll post an update tomorrow, thanks again fer the help.
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll